sharetrader
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Index v Managed

My managed fund (Devon Alpha fund) has always done better than my passive funds (via Superlife and Smartshares). In fact Devon Alpha has done better than my own stock picks over all. I bought in at 90 odd cents and have been putting in a $1000 per month for the last few years and reinvested the dividends. I see today the unit price is $1.51 cents. That's tidy and a lot less stressful way of doing business. Devon seems to be holding a lot of cash in the fund at the moment, however. Maybe that's a good thing. I'm 100% confident they know more about these things than I do.
    Last edited by Bobdn; 23-01-2015 at 10:51 PM.

Advanced Member

Managed funds not always easy ......

https://www.investordaily.com.au/mar...m_medium=email

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
    If NZ had self managed kiwisaver funds, I would investigate setting up something for NZ.

Superlife - in some ways have "self managed" kiwisaver - in that you are able to choose and allocated different % of your kiwisaver to any of their investment options including the ETF's / an Index. https://superlife.co.nz/investments/investment-options

There has been a separate thread on which kiwisaver is best sighting "simplicity" as the cheapest. While they are they only offer three bespoke funds, "conservative, balanced and growth". I've basically found superlife to be second cheapest but with far more investment options for kiwisaver like just investing in the S&P500, or total world.

I prefer managed funds when going for a specific target e.g. I have BG's Monks Investment Trust as a balanced way to get access to Alibaba, Amazon, and Alphabet.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBop View Post
    I prefer managed funds when going for a specific target e.g. I have BG's Monks Investment Trust as a balanced way to get access to Alibaba, Amazon, and Alphabet.
    does that have a fund for each letter of the alphabet - ie an "A" fund where you get companies starting with A?

Quote Originally Posted by alistar_mid View Post
    does that have a fund for each letter of the alphabet - ie an "A" fund where you get companies starting with A?
    Excellent observation! To add further, they also have Athem Inc and AIA....I won't destroy the pattern by naming the other six top holdings.

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by alistar_mid View Post
    For names, I quite like the "themed" funds run by Janus in the USA - FIT, OLD, etc

https://www.janus.com/products/excha...funds/thematic

Themes are actually quite good as they do allow you to focus on an area and have a degree of risk management within it. I am selecting funds (for my UK portfolio) that meet current growth areas e.g. Have picked up Jupiter India, looking to pick up a European focused growth (general), and of course, I bought into Monks to get a bite of the internet based growth (with managed exposure, return this year just a tad under 60%). As I love small cap stocks, I purchase them directly myself. I will take a look through the Janus link to see how they are putting their themes together. Having these managed funds means I can release time allowing me to work on my small cap (UK) and NZ portfolios where I can navigate the information!