sharetrader
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Which New Zealand providers offer passive or index funds?

Hey guys,

Just wondering if any of you have invested in any Vanguard S&P 500 type funds from NZ?

I'm weighing options and the offers from NZ (smartshares ETF) look pretty poor price wise. Given the focus on NZ/Australia on offer I prefer to hold individual instruments in the local markets.

I've got my Kiwisaver currently in a currency hedged overseas shares fund as the only exposure to overseas markets at the moment.

Keen to hear from anyone else in a similar situation!

Cheers
    Last edited by huxley; 28-02-2015 at 09:29 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by huxley View Post
    Hey guys,

Just wondering if any of you have invested in any Vanguard S&P 500 type funds from NZ?

I'm weighing options and the offers from NZ (smartshares ETF) look pretty poor price wise. Given the focus on NZ/Australia on offer I prefer to hold individual instruments in the local markets.

I've got my Kiwisaver currently in a currency hedged overseas shares fund as the only exposure to overseas markets at the moment.

Cheers
    Hi huxley, I am in the same boat as you I think. I use Smartshares for my kiwisaver but invest in Vanguard products on my own account. That is the only way I can see you can split it out nicely. I do not really want to use any of the so called "active" NZ managers as I do not think they have a positive alpha. The problem I have with smartshares is that their MER is still so high due to small fund size.

Hey Blackcap, Thanks for your reply. How do you purchase the Vanguard ETFs from NZ?

The only way I can see of doing this is if you buy on the ASX but then you seem to be taking a compounded currency risk (NZD/AUD & AUD/USD).

I'm currently only signed up for ANZ Share and Bond and in with Superlife for kiwisaver.

Guru

Hey Blackcap, Thanks for your reply. How do you purchase the Vanguard ETFs from NZ?

The only way I can see of doing this is if you buy on the ASX but then you seem to be taking a compounded currency risk (NZD/AUD & AUD/USD).

I'm currently only signed up for ANZ Share and Bond and in with Superlife for kiwisaver.
    Hi Huxley, I do buy the Vanguard ETS from NZ but using my AUD account. For me the currency risk is negligible because at the end of the day you are purchasing the stock in whatever jurisdiction that may be and it does not matter where you buy your ETF from. Say you buy Vanguard Dow fund then you are buying the 30 Dow stocks (USD stocks) whether you buy them from Australia or the US makes no difference to the outcome or value of your ETF. Hope that helps.

Hey guys,

Cheers
    Superlife do low cost index funds of NZ, AUS, US, UK and emerging markets.

I have my kiwisaver through them. They are fantastic for what I need. I used to be with ASB (who were quite low in fees and invest passively) but I liked the ability to choose the % of funds invested in each asset class rather than just choose a "growth" fund with various asset classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffett Jr View Post
    Superlife do low cost index funds of NZ, AUS, US, UK and emerging markets.

I have my kiwisaver through them. They are fantastic for what I need. I used to be with ASB (who were quite low in fees and invest passively) but I liked the ability to choose the % of funds invested in each asset class rather than just choose a "growth" fund with various asset classes.
    Ah thanks, I'll take a look at the super life funds. I must have misread their webpage and didn't pick up that they offered funds outside of KiwiSaver.

I'm using the "my mix" option for kiwi saver and have a small percentage in bonds and most in overseas shares which I'll just adjust as time goes by.

Yeah the asb fees are also still quite high considering the "growth fund" appears to just select several Vangaurd funds.

I invest in Vanguard ETFs (at present VTI, but I plan to eventually also go into VXUS very soon). I do this using E*Trade as my brokerage, which allows for investment into US shares at a relatively low commission rate. Of course, there are the dual concerns of NZD <--> USD currency conversion and FIF taxes, but having done a _lot_ of research, I am comfortable with this approach. If you have any questions I am happy to help where I can.

Hi JonathanGiles
    I am doing something similar but will use Vanguard VGS on the asx. This was introduced recently. This is ex Aussie with dividends reinvested with a MER or 0.18%. Since it is domiciled from australia and not US you do not have death duty tax implications. It has around 60% invested in the US. I use comsec, like etrade have much lower brokerage.

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGiles View Post
    I invest in Vanguard ETFs (at present VTI, but I plan to eventually also go into VXUS very soon). I do this using E*Trade as my brokerage, which allows for investment into US shares at a relatively low commission rate. Of course, there are the dual concerns of NZD <--> USD currency conversion and FIF taxes, but having done a _lot_ of research, I am comfortable with this approach. If you have any questions I am happy to help where I can.

Hey I know this is a delayed response but any how - What amount of funds would you consider the minimal amount to justify this approach? I ended up sticking with Superlife in the end and will continue to drip feed but would like to look at Vanguard ETF options more closely eventually.

Cheers

Hi JonathanGiles

Is it easier to open up an E*Trade brokerage account from New Zealand compared to others such as ComSec? I'm thinking about investing in Vanguard ETFs on the ASX and was wondering if this approach is cheaper than going through ASB/ANZ Securities. What's a cost effective method of exchanging NZD to AUD and transferring it an E*Trade account?
    Last edited by newtrader; 01-06-2015 at 08:02 PM.