sharetrader
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    ANZ looking relatively cheap. ;-)
    One issue I think the banks will face at some point is a crash in property markets both Australia & Auckland.
    That could be very messy for the banks.
    There is always that chance,but a more likely scenario would be a slight drop or a leveling off with no more increases for a while(which is not really a bad thing)--We would really need to know just what % of houses are bought by Chinese Investors,not living here.

If I were Chinese type policy maker(ie no real opposition) to help solve the housing problem in Aucland, I would be developing a passenger service on the existing RR tracks to Hamilton.(preferably good enough for a 45min-1hr commute)
    Last edited by skid; 12-03-2015 at 10:06 AM.

IMO

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    I hope the person who wrote the article has a higher education than the posters at the end

I cycled through the whole of China five months in 2006 just before the crash. I went back this year and spent nearly 2 months in Shenzhen the first of the special zones and then spent a week in Hong kong. China is so big and so complex I only saw a fraction of reality. I stayed totally with the locals the only westerner in a part of Shenzhen of probably half a million people. I cannot disagree with anything the lady said. Life is really hard even in the big cities. I had to sleep on the balcony with a choice to sleep on my thin rubber mat on hard concrete or in a rickety wooden chair. Some of the local boys managed to sleep on the concrete WW2 prision standards and thought nothing of it. Because of this harsh living the people are incrediably resilent and I was really surprised by their unconcern of the economy. My veiw for what is worth things will carry on Asian style a lot lomger than most people think like Japans huge debt mountain. What will bust everything will be an upsurge in interest rates 2016????

Advanced Member

[QUOTE=flying;563906]I cycled through the whole of China five months in 2006 just before the crash. I went back this year and spent nearly 2 months in Shenzhen the first of the special zones and then spent a week in Hong kong. China is so big and so complex I only saw a fraction of reality. I stayed totally with the locals the only westerner in a part of Shenzhen of probably half a million people. I cannot disagree with anything the lady said. Life is really hard even in the big cities. I had to sleep on the balcony with a choice to sleep on my thin rubber mat on hard concrete or in a rickety wooden chair. Some of the local boys managed to sleep on the concrete WW2 prision standards and thought nothing of it. Because of this harsh living the people are incrediably resilent and I was really surprised by their unconcern of the economy. My veiw for what is worth things will carry on Asian style a lot lomger than most people think like Japans huge debt mountain. What will bust everything will be an upsurge in interest rates 2016????[/QUOTE}

Top post flying. Very interesting to get comments from people who have spent some time there. I am well into my 70s now but way back in the 60s I spent time in India much as you have in China.It is only by being with the locals do you get the inside feel. As with you I was the only non Indian in the group. Actually I ended up owning a holy cow. The story here is that I was very good middle distant runner and I trained often. The Native Indians in the outback villages were taken with my camera. Before I knew it they put up there best runner [foolishly] against me in a two mile race. They had nothing to put up against my camera so a holy cow was offered. I left the village with the understanding that I would collect it on my next visit and in the meantime the origional owner was to use it as his own. I haven't been back.
    Still your post was much appreciated and a good read.Left me with something to think about.
    digger

The main problem in some of the emerging markets is huge gap between poor and rich. However we cannot forget emerging market totally. Their middle class population has increased. So they create demand for certain things. There will be demand for all types of food and beverages in the coming decade. We cannot ignore combined population in China, India, Indonesia and other Asia countries. More than gold they will create demand for food and beverages. They will have less arable land in the future. They will eat more meat and drink milk, tea and coffee than other countries in the coming decade. Despite some social and environmental issues there could be growth in limited areas in countries such as China, India and other Asian countries. Just like any other country China also will have slow growth period time to time. Debt crisis is part of global financial system and it applies to China as well. We may see debt and property crisis as well in China. Irrespective of any future crisis Chinese people will not stop eating and drinking. So food sector will have growth in China and as they cannot produce everything locally they will have to import food in the coming years.
    Last edited by Valuegrowth; 15-03-2015 at 08:22 PM.