sharetrader
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dividend taxes ..

Let's use my eg with MRP the smaller one.

800 units, payment rate 5.6c = dividend amount $44.80
    Less RWT 3.11 = $41.69.

It says also:
    NZ Imputation credit $17.42
    Withholding tax $3.11
    Gross Dividend $62.22

It says the current rate of resident withholding tax for NZ resident on dividends is 33%.

1. How is the imputation credit and the withholding tax calculated?

Edit. I think I got it. Imputation credit is dividend to the Gross Dividend = 28%.

Withholding tax is extra tax that makes up the difference to 33% for dividends.

So who uses a tax rate less than 33% in total? Non residents?

PS - rather than starting another thread, out of curiosity - is there anyway to purchase a NZX index?
    Last edited by rayonline; 17-04-2015 at 10:09 PM.

Guru

"So who uses a tax rate less than 33% in total? Non residents?"

Anyone on less than $70,000 per year.

Dividend flat rate tax at 33%?

Quote Originally Posted by rayonline View Post
    Dividend flat rate tax at 33%?
    Yep

See IRD website

Dividends

Dividends are paid to the owners of shares in a company. Dividends are taxed at a flat RWT rate of 33%. Dividends from a listed PIE are not liable for RWT.

Last edited by huxley; 18-04-2015 at 08:38 AM. Reason: iPhone issues!

Quote Originally Posted by huxley View Post
    Yep

See IRD website

Dividends

Dividends are paid to the owners of shares in a company. Dividends are taxed at a flat RWT rate of 33%. Dividends from a listed PIE are not liable for RWT.

Yes that was what I read too. So this tax rate 33%, 30%, 10.5% you can select at Market Link Service / Compushare. Is that for interest accrued in whatever ways then?

I'm not sure sorry my understanding is dividends are at the flat tax rate. You could ask computershare/linked directly (id be interested to find out if you do) by email from their websites?

I see you asked about buying an nzx index on here as well. I'm not aware of anyone offering a full nzx index but you could take a look at the Smartshares products for nzx50 etc.

Guru

All dividends have tax withheld of 33% - imputation credits can be a maximum of 28% but can be anywhere between 0 and 28%.

Remember this isn't a final tax. If you rate rate is lower, you may be eligible for a tax refund.

Guru

Look up "smartshares" for index options

Quote Originally Posted by huxley View Post
    I'm not sure sorry my understanding is dividends are at the flat tax rate. You could ask computershare/linked directly (id be interested to find out if you do) by email from their websites?

I see you asked about buying an nzx index on here as well. I'm not aware of anyone offering a full nzx index but you could take a look at the Smartshares products for nzx50 etc.
    FWIW. I got a THL dividend notice from Market Link Services. I don't want to retype their letter out as their website is down.

Re: Compushare, they say this:

1. You cannot elect a RWT (Resident Withholding Tax) Rate if you have not provided your IRD Number.

2. Elected RWT Rates will apply to all your interest payments. Dividend payments will be taxed at the standard dividend tax rate and not your personal tax rate.
    3. If you are a non-resident, elected RWT Rates will be superseded by your Non-Resident Withholding Rate.

How do I find out which shares carry imputation credits? Is there any website or publication that lists shares on the NZX and gives the rate at which their divvies are imputed?
    Without this info it is difficult to evaluate the effective return.
    Last edited by davflaws; 05-07-2015 at 12:50 PM. Reason: lousy punctuation