sharetrader
Page 26 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    This is something the current generation simply don't understand and take the gift of many many years of interest free loans for granted and then still bleat that they have to repay the money ! Opps, digressing from the central theme of the thread again

From listening to those students who go on about the lucky generation, and it's certainly not all of them, you could be forgiven for thinking teenagers of earlier times had money dripping out their pockets. Nothing could be further from the truth. I live in a student city and had a lot to do with them through my activities. From my observations, the students have more to throw around than the teenagers of my day even though most were working full time. Nobody started on adult wages or even close. The grass is always greener, but when looking backwards - it's luminous green with spotlights.
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 12-01-2017 at 10:11 AM.

This is something the current generation simply don't understand and take the gift of many many years of interest free loans for granted and then still bleat that they have to repay the money ! Opps, digressing from the central theme of the thread again
    Spin me a yarn..so its a gift IFF you can get a greater return from the investment which most do not..

1. Lack of job opportunities

2. In real term salaries/wages haven fallen back a substantially amount in the last twenty years. Real disposal income for most has narrowed.

3. Life has it hard challenges which we all have to face, talk about misery has company here..hard to see how that justifies the current generation has it easier..

percy

I think ALL posters would enjoy the following on You Tube clip;
    Roger Penske at 2008 Winter Commencement.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    Spin me a yarn..so its a gift IFF you can get a greater return from the investment which most do not..

1. Lack of job opportunities

2. In real term salaries/wages haven fallen back a substantially amount in the last twenty years. Real disposal income for most has narrowed.
    Really? Can you cite anything to support that disposable income has fallen? (assuming that is what you meant by disposal)

Its always been hard to buy a house Raz, always been hard to get a degree, always been hard to get ahead...honestly cry me a river I'm over the younger generation telling me their lot in life is so much harder than in my day. Now they want to bleat like lambs lost from their mother that they have to support those in retirement who have paid into the tax system for half a century...do me a favor...enough already !!!!!!!! Let's get back to the thread question.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Its always been hard to buy a house Raz, always been hard to get a degree, always been hard to get ahead...honestly cry me a river I'm over the younger generation telling me their lot in life is so much harder than in my day. Now they want to bleat like lambs lost from their mother that they have to support those in retirement who have paid into the tax system for half a century...do me a favor...enough already !!!!!!!! Let's get back to the thread question.
    Good on you Rodger, unfiltered honest Rodger at last:-) Yeah tell us what you really think. Back to the thread...

ps how hard was it to acquire those three extra houses you mention you just flicked off in Auckland:-) ha!

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    Good on you Rodger, unfiltered honest Rodger at last:-) Yeah tell us what you really think. Back to the thread...
    Alright. The question 'how much capital do you need to retire' is like the old 'how long is a string of sausages', hard to answer and meaningless. Think about the income you need, and you're on the way to sorting your finances out..

Permanent Newbie

I don't think its a weak argument at all. Kids now have ready access to Uni and interest free loans that go on forever.
    Sorry I agree we are off topic but can't let this slide.
    You think an interest free loan provided by the nz taxpayer that needs to be paid back is better than having all your course costs paid for by the nz taxpayer?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    You think an interest free loan provided by the nz taxpayer that needs to be paid back is better than having all your course costs paid for by the nz taxpayer?
    You do realise that uni fees are still heavily subsidised by the govt don't you?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    not sure how much "courses" cost Aaron but I have seen people via the budget service with student loans up to $ 65,000 ..... Most student loans that I see would be in the 30-40 K range .