sharetrader
Page 1902 of 1902 FirstFirst ... 902140218021852189218981899190019011902
Results 19,011 to 19,020 of 19020

Thread: Black Monday

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    And a lobotomy for those who don't comply. 藍
    Would you rather recieve a certificate for an immunisation, or one for a darwin award.

Bad US job reports ….markets loved it
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by causecelebre View Post
    Wow down 90% from March '21 week highs. And 50% this year alone. I guess Buffet loves old movies because PARA's library (CBS, Showtime, Paramount Pictures) is very old. The real world value should be in future demographic and behaviour and Paramount Plus is not a service I would subscribe to. Paramount $931 debt service costs is haemophilic. PARA has some good realty which is possibly under valued, however, that said its Manhatten holdings doesn't mean as much post Covid. Its LA studio, like its IP, is a shining beacon to what once was. I would be hoping some bottom fisher buys it. Good luck to holders and buyers
    Finally Buffett realised this was a dog and dumped 100% holdings in PARA “it was 100% my fault, and we’ve sold it all and lost quite a bit of money”.

I hope the Buffett copy traders in this forum have kept up

Quote Originally Posted by causecelebre View Post
    Finally Buffett realised this was a dog and dumped 100% holdings in PARA “it was 100% my fault, and we’ve sold it all and lost quite a bit of money”.

I hope the Buffett copy traders in this forum have kept up
    That's the problem with doubling down, when it goes wrong it goes horribly wrong.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Berkshire has beaten the S&P500 over the last 5 years and more or less matched it over 20 years, according to this article:

https://www.morningstar.com/news/marketwatch/20240217240/even-warren-buffett-is-no-match-for-the-sp-500

I'd be happy with that. I don't own it directly only through the usual ETFs/KiwiSaver funds like most of us have. S&P500 plus the odd value fund eg Smartshares US Value (VTV).

Over 30 and 40 years, Brk absolutely destroys the S&P500

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dereksaul/2024/02/26/berkshire-hathaway-stock-rises-to-record-high-heres-how-warren-buffetts-returns-compare-to-sp-500/

I must admit I didn't appreciate how big Berkshire's out performance was during the last 40 years.

"...Berkshire's 271% return over the last decade and 50,799% surge over the last 40 years smashes the S&P's 232% and 4,213% respective gains..."

Anyway looks like a Paramount sized mistake is unimportant and barely worth a mention in this context.
    Last edited by Bobdn; Yesterday at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdn View Post
    Berkshire has beaten the S&P500 over the last 5 years and more or less matched it over 20 years, according to this article:

https://www.morningstar.com/news/mar...for-the-sp-500

I'd be happy with that. I don't own it directly only through the usual ETFs/KiwiSaver funds like most of us have. S&P500 plus the odd value fund eg Smartshares US Value (VTV).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dereksa...are-to-sp-500/

I must admit I didn't appreciate how big Berkshire's out performance was during the last 40 years.

"...Berkshire's 271% return over the last decade and 50,799% surge over the last 40 years smashes the S&P's 232% and 4,213% respective gains..."

Anyway looks like a Paramount sized mistake is unimportant and barely worth a mention in this context.
    Agree 100%. However, my comment was an indictment of have fervently some of the fan boys will place faith in a stock purely because Buffett bought it without doing any research themselves

Investments

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Bad US job reports ….markets loved it
    Data all over is becoming mixed ...but our past wisdom does signal which side it will tilt eventually ....best case it's a soft landing or not so hard landing that eps get hit very badly ...small hit is almost certain for bottom thus new cycle to start .

IMO ...NZ is the. most clear case at the moment ...rates path to reduction is almost definitely on cards this year . I am pretty bullish for NZX for the rest of the year and next few too
    Last edited by alokdhir; Today at 08:26 AM.

https://www.morningstar.com/news/mar...for-the-sp-500

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dereksa...are-to-sp-500/

I think a loss of circa $1.5Bln on a single stock is worth a mention.
    To Buffett's credit, he took full responsibility.

@causecelebre, yes true. His purchases definitely move markets, possibly less so now I guess.

Hearing about someone like Buffett buying a stock definitely influenced me in the past. Even now I'm thinking: hmmm Oxy. I'm reformed but the pilot light is always on. I just tell myself I do own it albeit in a tiny amount.
    Last edited by Bobdn; Today at 09:54 AM.

@causecelebre, yes true. His purchases definitely move markets, possibly less so now I guess.

Hearing about someone like Buffett buying a stock definitely influenced me in the past. Even now I'm thinking: hmmm Oxy. I'm reformed but the pilot light is always on. I just tell myself I do own it albeit in a tiny amount.
    To be fair if you were going to follow the trades/investments made by any one it may as well be Buffett. I am not a value investor and don't subscribe to his methodology. That said, I have huge respect for the man as much his professional achievements.