sharetrader
Page 832 of 1902 FirstFirst ... 33273278282282882983083183283383483583684288293213321832 ... LastLast
Results 8,311 to 8,320 of 19011

Thread: Black Monday

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    i tend to rate people not unproven skillsets. For instance an economist can be a useless fool graduate promulgating his corporate views, (eg I didnt bother reading the whole ASB report Hoop linked to), or he can be an intelligent astute individual who has started majorly successful companies and have a good grip on the world around him who shares his views, and in my experience after quite a few years of hearing those views I rate him better than most. Its not public health advice in any case it is commentary on the benefits or otherwise of the public health policy that was implemented.

All I can say watching the TV news is that I've never seen so many epidemiologists!!

My dentist is a councillor and major heritage property owner around the region , so he's doing okay for himself too fyi. We talked Tesla but he's a bricks and mortar man.
    And some of them have outrageous hair colours .....

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    i tend to rate people not unproven skillsets. For instance an economist can be a useless fool graduate promulgating his corporate views, (eg I didnt bother reading the whole ASB report Hoop linked to), or he can be an intelligent astute individual who has started majorly successful companies and have a good grip on the world around him who shares his views, and in my experience after quite a few years of hearing those views I rate him better than most. Its not public health advice in any case it is commentary on the benefits or otherwise of the public health policy that was implemented.

All I can say watching the TV news is that I've never seen so many epidemiologists!!

My dentist is a councillor and major heritage property owner around the region , so he's doing okay for himself too fyi. We talked Tesla but he's a bricks and mortar man.
    Classic dentist chat. He might have called the top of the great Tesla bubble! Do keep us updated

Seriously though, both of Mr Ryders statements are factually wrong, lockdowns DID contain COVID's spread (e.g. NY, NZ) and reopening DID cause a second wave (e.g. Florida, Europe). Quick look at the infection stats shows that.

Interestingly lots of reports now, that locking down doesn't seem to affect the economy. It is people's fear of the virus and thus confidence to go out and spend (or not) which does. So you are better off for public health AND economically to lock down and get things under control. What happened in NZ when we returned to Level 1 shows this very clearly and is NZ's current approach.

Would say it sounds like stage 1 macroeconomics and the marginal propensity to consume and Keynesian multipliers except that I happened to skip that one so maybe it was Econ211
    Last edited by Jaa; 08-09-2020 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaa View Post
    Classic dentist chat. He might have called the top of the great Tesla bubble! Do keep us updated

Seriously though, both of Mr Ryders statements are factually wrong, lockdowns DID contain COVID's spread (e.g. NY, NZ) and reopening DID cause a second wave (e.g. Florida, Europe). Quick look at the infection stats shows that.

Interestingly lots of reports now, that locking down doesn't seem to affect the economy. It is people's fear of the virus and thus confidence to go out and spend (or not) which does. So you are better off for public health AND economically to lock down and get things under control. What happened in NZ when we returned to Level 1 shows this very clearly and is NZ's current approach.

Would say it sounds like stage 1 macroeconomics and the marginal propensity to consume and Keynesian multipliers except that I happened to skip that one so maybe it was Econ211
    Did Gamini Jayasuriya teach you econ 101? Excellent lecturer btw

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jaa View Post

That's an enlightening report in Bloomberg & based on survey of 2.25 million businesses based on very solid research.

Wish someone could talk some sense into David Seymour & ACT who want to reopen the border & damm the consequences, what an absolute disaster that would be both for the economy & hundreds of thousands of people with immune supressed health conditions and our elderly population & our health system & all the doctors and nurses and staff who run our hospitals, Rest Homes, etc and their families & close contacts & the people & businesses which rely on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
    That's an enlightening report in Bloomberg & based on survey of 2.25 million businesses based on very solid research.

Wish someone could talk some sense into David Seymour & ACT who want to reopen the border & damm the consequences, what an absolute disaster that would be both for the economy & hundreds of thousands of people with immune supressed health conditions and our elderly population & our health system & all the doctors and nurses and staff who run our hospitals, Rest Homes, etc and their families & close contacts & the people & businesses which rely on them.
    well if the economy going down the toilet this new industry will help

Research shows legal cannabis could earn Government nearly $1 billion

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...arly-1-billion

one step ahead of the herd

Banned

U n me can get high together bull.....

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post

Too right! Catching COVID isn't a matter of a week or two and one is cured. It entails months of illness, and health costs long term. Those who want to open up and devil take the population, don't have an economic argument that makes sense.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Too right! Catching COVID isn't a matter of a week or two and one is cured. It entails months of illness, and health costs long term. Those who want to open up and devil take the population, don't have an economic argument that makes sense.
    Yeah nah. Just been watching the US Open where a few of the athletes have had covid. They are still performing at their peak even though they had covid not more than 2 - 3 months ago.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Yeah nah. Just been watching the US Open where a few of the athletes have had covid. They are still performing at their peak even though they had covid not more than 2 - 3 months ago.
    You are both generalising - some get it and hardly notice during or after.
    Some get it and the impacts carry on for months.
    Some die!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    You are both generalising - some get it and hardly notice during or after.
    Some get it and the impacts carry on for months.
    Some die!
    Most, nearly all, get it and hardly notice during or after,
    Some get it and impacts carry on,
    A very few die.

There fixed it for you.