sharetrader

Thread: New Forum Rules

Hybrid View

Guru

No direct (personalised ) aggressive criticism or belittling of other investors methodologies.QUOTE

I agree with your ''aggressive'' and ''belittling'' but I believe its fair game to question other methodologies--how else do we learn?

I think most can tell when posts are starting to turn negative and even abusive (a sure sign is when those adjectives start popping up)

I agree about not deleting posts of departing members--when we make comments -they should stay IMO

I suppose we need to get clear whether its fair game to question company's performance or even motivation (leaving comments about posters out of the mix aside from disagreeing)--(obviously repeated remarks one way or the other should be minimized)

It would be interesting to know whether posters feel that the rules are to strict or to lax at present

Probably posted this own wrong thread previously. Short summary - probably existing rules are enough.

What is the purpose / objective of Sharetrader? Without knowing this what's the point if having 'enforceable' rules beyond those of common decency, politeness and some legal protection constraints. These seem to be in place?

From the owners perspective t is probably a means to reach out to many like minded people so they can make money (advertising, direct marketing etc). Your details are valuable to them.

But what about us?

The owners tout - www.sharetrader.co.nz - the only on-line communityfor share traders in NZ

The header on this page says - NZ's number one share market forum for investors

The NZX Forum is - Your place to discuss the instruments listed on the NZX

So it seems we are a community where we have forums to discuss things.

Communities are what participants want to make it. A Forum by definition is a public place for people to hold open discussions (ie have a conversation).

It seems that what can be discussed is the root if the current discontent on ST.

It seems some want a regimented disciplined approach to what is said on a topic - like strictly on topic and no real constructive discussion on pro and cons or whatever on a stock. That seems a sterile boring place to be.

Communities thrive by open discussion (sometimes vigourous / sometimes unpalatable to some). It is the members themselves who generally control how far these discussions go .....without the need torun of to the referee if one is not happy. This creates vibrant community and not a disciplined regimented one.

I prefer the latter model. If that means people aren't happy with me saying on the Scales thread that my home baked apple turnovers (on topic) they can either ignore it or pull me into line in a nice sort of way - but such is not red flags or banning material.

Too many rules and too much disciplinary actin and this this forum is stuffed - stuffed by the collective us and probably to the dismay of the owners.

Just my rave on a Sunday morning after the AC DC gig last night. In spite of wind and rain and technical difficulties a really spectacular event, great show. Betcha the residents of Thorndon didn't appreciate the cannons booming out at 11.30 - they were loud, really loud.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”