sharetrader
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Average age of investors

They say that investment in the stock market is dying out because younger generations aren't investing. (Can't see how that would happen as most investment seems to be wholesale, but that's what they say... Maybe it might reduce demand a bit, make things more profitable for banks and the like...).

I was just wondering if everyone minded sharing their age to see how much truth there is in that?

I'll start things off. I'm 34.

Banned

Could be true...they spend too much on beer and women! I am 35

i'm 36 and a lady (for diversification)

29 - Still a lot to learnl

25........infancy stages for me...

2019 NZ Stock Picking Winner silverblizzard888's Avatar

24 here.

I think to some extend its true because younger people don't go out of their way to find out more about investing, they are interested, but thats where it ends. Most usually suffer from these problems:

No money
    No investing knowledge
    No interest in the area
    Lacks patience and wants instant gains
    Focused on property or other investments
    Learning but lack of urgency in their approach

Heck when I ask about their kiwisavers account they have no idea who its with or what its invested in. It'd definitely pay to have a bit more knowledge for their retirement savings especially when performance and fees have such an impact on what they will end up with.

Every person I meet has an interest to hear me out, but very few have taken my advice. The ones that have, have made some changes and invested in stocks, but couldn't say they went out to improve their knowledge. I tell every young person I meet to just simply invest, just that step alone will give them an idea of how to do it and starts breaking barriers down and puts them ahead of so many people. I do it with caution of course that unless these people understand what they are getting into and are keen to learn, then I don't think the risk is suitable for them. I just advise an index fund in that case, especially for their kiwisaver, but at the end of the day I just try to explain that wealth and risk management will be important in their future and its better to learn early. I'd definitely put it that for young people they have different focus where they want to spend their money and usually none left to consider investing, which to the point if they are not invested to earn anything then they don't feel a need to learn as its not important to them at this time and moment.
    Last edited by silverblizzard888; 21-03-2016 at 11:27 PM.

38 ....I started at 24.... but became Tax paying trader @ 28
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Started at 24, now 45! Am a female investor. Property is my larger activity but shares are the most interesting.

Think I might win the youngest with personal holdings? 20

Started at 18/19 as soon as I could get a shareholding account with ASB, and I have just turned 24 a few weeks ago. I have a few friends who I've gotten into investing and they're loving it now.
    Toward his critics, the artist harbours a defensive ace: knowledge that the future will erase the present.