sharetrader
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

61 started just after 2008 crash and got in on the lows. By pure luck not design, many pluses and minuses since but up over all.

Estimate will be much better at this game in about another 50 years or so, maybe.

Gunny

Anyone younger than 19?

Wanted to invest since about 15 really but couldn't obviously (age and no money)... so I started a small airsoft & paintball online business that went well while at school then in my final year of High School I was able to start investing and used the money I earned between wanting to and being able to invest to kick start myself

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    I'm sorry but I know little about NPF. I'd forgotten it exists in fact. Isn't it more a pension scheme? I just had a quick google and see the first 6 trusts they are in are ARG, STR, PFI, PCT, KPG, PCT; they are the ones - the only ones I hold. I'm not sure what the advantage or disadvantage of buying in through this scheme is but no doubt it would add a layer of cost. I can't imagine there is any advantage. It's so easy to buy in individual funds - and if using an online broker costs aren't massive. But you really need to dig a little deeper to know the ins and outs. I would say I like the mix. KPG good for retail, PCT - top quality office, PFI excellent industrial warehouse buildings, GMT for a bit of development, ARG and STR, a good mix of all sorts. the total spread equals hundreds of tenants. And nearly all in the Auckland market which as we all know is the best growth territory. Share prices have done a bit of a leap lately so whether time is right to but is anyone's guess. Wouldn't worry me as I'm there till they put me in my box - but that's not everyone's view. - Good luck.

Footnote. Have a look at the web-sites for each of these companies. Most show a tenant list, and that's impressive. They are landlords to the big, rock solid companies and they show the average of lease terms. Most have a say 5 to 6 years average remaining on leases. Gives them plenty of time to work on any likely vacancies and future planning.
    So FP, if you would choose above property share, which one will u invest in?

54 fiddled about with shares forever... 25 years in residential rentals has been good to me thanks to capital gains and negative gearing.
    Taking shares seriously since yr 2000. Believer in the buy quality, hold and grow policy.
    if not you now who when..

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by King1212 View Post
    So FP, if you would choose above property share, which one will u invest in?
    I would do a bit of research which I've been really slack on and just opted for a mix. I don't read prospectuses and so on although I did when I first bought in, when trying to learn about PIES introduced about 7 years ago.. Offhand I'd probably go for STR - used to be DNZ. Not saying that they are the best, but if I had a one only choice they cover the range of commercial/industrial. On current price the return is just over 5% - that's tax paid so possibly up to 7.5% depend on your marginal tax, plus any capital gain of course - which makes for a higher return every year if you hold.
    They seem to have competent management. Excellent tenants and a mix of retail, office, industrial and light industrial, (warehousing), but don't take too much out of all that. Read their web sites. I just look at the pictures of buildings. I have huge confidence in C and I properties that are well chosen and well managed. I'm happy owning a small share of lots of bricks :-)

http://www.strideproperty.co.nz/property/
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 23-03-2016 at 09:02 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    I would do a bit of research which I've been really slack on and just opted for a mix. I don't read prospectuses and so on although I did when I first bought in, when trying to learn about PIES introduced about 7 years ago.. Offhand I'd probably go for STR - used to be DNZ. Not saying that they are the best, but if I had a one only choice they cover the range of commercial/industrial. On current price the return is just over 5% - that's tax paid so possibly up to 7.5% depend on your marginal tax, plus any capital gain of course - which makes for a higher return every year if you hold.
    They seem to have competent management. Excellent tenants and a mix of retail, office, industrial and light industrial, (warehousing), but don't take too much out of all that. Read their web sites. I just look at the pictures of buildings. I have huge confidence in C and I properties that are well chosen and well managed. I'm happy owning a small share of lots of bricks :-)

http://www.strideproperty.co.nz/property/
    looking good, just heard about thier Northwest mall is a ghost town....looking to buy a parcel of property share that will hold forever as part of my portfolio.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by King1212 View Post
    looking good, just heard about thier Northwest mall is a ghost town....looking to buy a parcel of property share that will hold forever as part of my portfolio.
    I've read that in the Herald. Doesn't concern me at all. It might take a while to settle. Initial tenants in a retail mall often struggle. But by all means be aware of it and do your research - talk to the locals if you live close by. I don't know what % of their portfolio it is. Look at the portfolio of 40 odd buildings I think with pretty strong tenant names. Further development around there is on the drawing board I think. I don't know. I live in the sth island so I just look at the pretty pictures. :-)

Very informative thread.
    Age 41,
    First investments were Telstra, Contact and Precinct (AMP Office Trust at the time) when they were all IPOs. Only really got into shares properly back in 2013, when I started to take a proper active interest in the share market. About this time I also stumbled across sharetrader, spend a lot of time reading the forums but don't feel I yet have enough knowledge to make a significant contribution. Hopefully I can continue to learn and make more of a contribution to the sharetrader community in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by ace5715 View Post
    Very informative thread.
    Age 41,
    First investments were Telstra, Contact and Precinct (AMP Office Trust at the time) when they were all IPOs. Only really got into shares properly back in 2013, when I started to take a proper active interest in the share market. About this time I also stumbled across sharetrader, spend a lot of time reading the forums but don't feel I yet have enough knowledge to make a significant contribution. Hopefully I can continue to learn and make more of a contribution to the sharetrader community in the future.
    Age 60 First buy was Corporate Investments Ltd changed to Montana Wines. In the early days (late 1980s) the IPOs were a steal like Colonial, National Mutuals, AIA etc, Best buy are AIA, FPH, RYM, and SUM. Worst are Babcock and Brown (BBI) ASX listed, Feltex and Newcall. Still working full time and receiving passive income from shares. Looking forward to retire in 2 years time

20 here. First shares were bought when I was 18 a few years ago. I've always been very financially aware at a young age, but am now very interested in NZ capital markets and looking at various investments. Nice to see so many other young ones such as myself, this is such an excellent platform to build knowledge from some of the senior members that I look forward to hearing from throughout the threads.