sharetrader
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Guru

Well here's some info about me:

I am reasonably active on here, and although it may not always seem like it, I very much appreciate everyone's opinions.

I brought my first shares in MRP's IPO, I have just turned 20, and have over 10 holdings, mostly NZX, mostly small, brokerage is also a killer for me, hence why I'm with ASB.

I have also made bad decisions, particularly with I first started investing.

I am at Auckland University, half way through a BCom/BProp conjoint, and always open to meeting new people.

Quote Originally Posted by silverblizzard888 View Post
    24 here.

I think to some extend its true because younger people don't go out of their way to find out more about investing, they are interested, but thats where it ends. Most usually suffer from these problems:

No money
    No investing knowledge
    No interest in the area
    Lacks patience and wants instant gains
    Focused on property or other investments
    Learning but lack of urgency in their approach

Heck when I ask about their kiwisavers account they have no idea who its with or what its invested in. It'd definitely pay to have a bit more knowledge for their retirement savings especially when performance and fees have such an impact on what they will end up with.

Every person I meet has an interest to hear me out, but very few have taken my advice. The ones that have, have made some changes and invested in stocks, but couldn't say they went out to improve their knowledge. I tell every young person I meet to just simply invest, just that step alone will give them an idea of how to do it and starts breaking barriers down and puts them ahead of so many people. I do it with caution of course that unless these people understand what they are getting into and are keen to learn, then I don't think the risk is suitable for them. I just advise an index fund in that case, especially for their kiwisaver, but at the end of the day I just try to explain that wealth and risk management will be important in their future and its better to learn early. I'd definitely put it that for young people they have different focus where they want to spend their money and usually none left to consider investing, which to the point if they are not invested to earn anything then they don't feel a need to learn as its not important to them at this time and moment.
    Couldn't agree with this more. Pretty much sums up my experience thus far. I'm almost done with medical school and "investing" is still a big black hole of unknown for a lot of my colleagues. Principly, lack of education seems to be the driving factor as many i talk to still shrug and mutter about 'high risk'/' like gambling' blah blah. Such a shame that that is the view many have..

percy

I am 67.
    Brought my first share when I was 18 in 1967.
    Travelled overseas from age 21 to 23.
    Had all my capital and heavy borrowings in my retail book/toy shops until 1981,yet kept watching the markets .
    Lost a great deal in 1987 crash,and GFC.
    Think in another 15 to 20 years I may begin to understand the markets,however I am remain"well positioned".
    Still enjoy my business of selling books to school libraries.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Blendy View Post
    i'm 36 and a lady (for diversification)
    Just checking on king1212's theory. Do you blow it all on beer and women?

On my rounds and just a little behind..

47 here. Started investing in property/shares at 25 - always been interested but the last 6 years have been the most insane I've encountered.
    I don't think I will ever understand the "market" but am firm believer in principle that fear and greed are the two main drivers.
    I don't trust fund managers but I have to say my broker is outstanding. Finding a good one is impt. (if you don't do it yourself, which I don't as trading is not my day-job and I don't do it enough for it to qualify as such).
    I actually think schools should make economics or accounting classes do faux-trading for one year at least. You learn so much just by DYOR, much more than market stuff.

Divorced from logic Hectorplains's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Just checking on king1212's theory. Do you blow it all on beer and women?

45. Started at 13 - I loved the drama of going into the exchange and share certificates arriving in the mail weeks after a buy. My first purchases were Omnicorp and THL (The Helicopter Line.)

hehehe all the time

no, i would say I'm a 'collector' rather than a 'spender'

The Kid

45. Started a few years ago when the govt floated the Gentailers, been interested ever since. Very much appreciate the views of the experienced traders on this forum.

56, Started playing with shares when I was 35 – Made lots of mistakes but slowly moved forward.
    Retired at 53 then found I was a bit short on cash, so increased my shareholdings by making a small increase on my mortgage.
    Been lucky with good returns (2013-14 - 1.2%, 2014-15 - 25.9%, and 2015-16 – 19.5%).
    Have been putting half of my returns back into my mortgage & re-investing the other half so should be mortgage free by 2020.

Veteran novice

Here's one to bump your average up! - 77, started investing at 22 with an application for 100 shares in Robert Holt Ltd, an obscure Hawkes Bay sawmiller that morphed into Carter Holt Harvey many years and many iterations later. Started with nothing and still have most of it. (Apologies to whoever said that first.)