sharetrader
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

24, started around 6 months ago with AIR!

Currently 29, Started at 18.
    Been accumulating HGD/NTL since the very start (Seeing the longer term outlook for this)

Lost about $1500 on Feltex, bought a few months before it went tits up. My first experience of a company I bought shares in going under.

Bought WHS just before Sylvia Park opened up, watched my initial buy-in cost at least double over a period of a year and a bit before selling out.

Bought into ASX as well - EKM/GOR & UNV - Made several high amounts which I used to purchase my first home with.
    Bought into OBL - Bought at 2c, watched it skyrocket up to 19.5c, sold out. Then silly me bought back in again at 13c now stuck with a paper loss.

Herbacious

38 - Have been investing since I was about 22. CEN was my first, sold up that portfolio with enough profit to pay for an OE. Then bought back into the market when I was about 27 to try and get enough together to pay off the mortgage on my first home. Ended up selling some to go hike the Inca trail for my 30th, then turning that first home into a rental and selling up the rest of my portfolio to put a deposit on a second home. Now both places are sold and as of 6 months ago I'm back in the sharemarket investing my profits, hoping to get enough together to retire early, though I suspect my love of travel might delay the goal. About 50\50 direct shares vs a fund manager. So far vs the fund manager, I'm winning.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    Started at 18/19 as soon as I could get a shareholding account with ASB, and I have just turned 24 a few weeks ago. I have a few friends who I've gotten into investing and they're loving it now.
    I must be old at 46y as "gotten" was marked incorrect by my 1980's school teachers as being AmeriEng usage! Congrats for enticing your friends away from the kiwi fixation on real estate. Fwiw, those of my contemporaries my age who put everything into leveraged real estate and made use of the tax regime have seen better returns than those who put their money into financial investments.

40s lost all my money in 87 crash as a kid for my first taste of the markets , now I trade for a living ( or is that gamble for a living lol )
    one step ahead of the herd

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    24, started around 6 months ago with AIR!
    May your investment "take off"

[QUOTE=trader_jackson;612656]May your investment "take off" [/QUOTE

After the take-off there will be a landing.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    I must be old at 46y as "gotten" was marked incorrect by my 1980's school teachers as being AmeriEng usage! Congrats for enticing your friends away from the kiwi fixation on real estate. Fwiw, those of my contemporaries my age who put everything into leveraged real estate and made use of the tax regime have seen better returns than those who put their money into financial investments.
    Your teachers were wrong. It is the correct past participle originally used in British English, but dropped out in favour of got in some circles as lots of words were in British English, although ill-gotten and forgotten remained in use. Never forget British English gives us such gems as 'it were broke' + 'we was sat down'. For heaps more examples watch Coronation Street.

As far as your friends go, it would have been the leveraging that made the profit rather than their choice of real estate over shares. The same choices and the same tax treatment applies to both forms of investment.

Yet another 24 here...

22 year old software developer from Auckland here, studied business at university.