sharetrader
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ETF's

Looking at the depth this morning for the three NZX based ETF's I referred to in my previous post there would appear to be reasonable volume of buy and sell quantities being presented. I would suggest this is sufficient for most people.

Guru

My understanding is the NZX ran a formal market maker for these so liquidity shouldn't be an issue unless you have a very bit holding. Having said that, you many not like the spread that market maker is offering.

The current issue that I am experiencing is that SmartShares doesn't really feel like a product. NZX provides you with a fancy website to sell you the product, but nothing once you actually buy in. To see your balance and current value it seems that you can only log into Link Market Services and see the transaction history. There is no overview to show your profit/loss, and as mentioned, they don't help with selling your units. My impression so far is that it feels half-baked.

Quote Originally Posted by shonen knife View Post
    The current issue that I am experiencing is that SmartShares doesn't really feel like a product. NZX provides you with a fancy website to sell you the product, but nothing once you actually buy in. To see your balance and current value it seems that you can only log into Link Market Services and see the transaction history. There is no overview to show your profit/loss, and as mentioned, they don't help with selling your units. My impression so far is that it feels half-baked.
    I thought the same thing when I first signed up, was quite annoying. Just have to manually add on ANZ, only once a month so not too much of a hassle.

You could follow them through Sharesight
    https://www.sharesight.com/nz/

If you purchased smartshares directly you maybe don't have a broker ?(not a big deal unless you want to sell)

If not you could use either asb or ANZ for a cheap do it yourself service. You'd need to make sure you give them the CSN the smartshares are associated with.

Cheers

non nz Etfs much better/cheaper to purchase on the ASX, big selection. Has anyone done a cost comparison between holding through superlife or purchase on the NZX?

Can anyone point me in the direction of where to find Superlife ETF fees (nothing on their website)?

Or are the fees the same as purchasing via Smartshares?

Wouldn't NZX via a broker be more expensive than Smartshares as in Smartshares any subsequent purchases do not incur a brokerage fee?

Aspiring to be an Awesome Bear

Quote Originally Posted by huxley View Post
    You could follow them through Sharesight
    https://www.sharesight.com/nz/

If you purchased smartshares directly you maybe don't have a broker ?(not a big deal unless you want to sell)

If not you could use either asb or ANZ for a cheap do it yourself service. You'd need to make sure you give them the CSN the smartshares are associated with.

Cheers
    So unless you have a broker or have an ASB or ANZ share account you cant sell your smartshares. So the so called 'Mum and Dad" long term investors buy ETFs and then they cant sell them? Seems a fatal flaw in the system to me and it has put me off buying any.

Quote Originally Posted by RupertBear View Post
    So unless you have a broker or have an ASB or ANZ share account you cant sell your smartshares. So the so called 'Mum and Dad" long term investors buy ETFs and then they cant sell them? Seems a fatal flaw in the system to me and it has put me off buying any.
    It's pretty easy to create an ASB sharetrading account - just apply online, go into branch to verify your ID. Then pay the $30 brokerage when you sell.

Aspiring to be an Awesome Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    It's pretty easy to create an ASB sharetrading account - just apply online, go into branch to verify your ID. Then pay the $30 brokerage when you sell.
    Yes that is true Kevin and I do have an ASB account. I was more thinking of people that dont have an account and dont actually want one, like my Mum for example, who probably should have shares anyway