sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Are you sure that was a 777, winner? I thought SIA was flying late model 737's on that Sing/Canberra/Wgtn route?
    http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/nz...om-wellington/

777 it is

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Are you sure that was a 777, winner? I thought SIA was flying late model 737's on that Sing/Canberra/Wgtn route?
    My trusty flightradar app says Boeing 777-200 (twin-jet)*(B772)
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by theace View Post
    Thanks, ace. I might try it sometime!

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Yep a 777 - no expensive runway extension needed
    Yeah, for short haul it's possible, however for longer sectors they face restricted MTOW which make the use of the aircraft uneconomic.

Investor

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Very, very tempting to work out my profit for the last couple of days of this, SUM, A2, HBL and the rest of my portfolio...but that could be hazardous to my health, excess scoffing and drinking is sure to ensue, see dog tail wagging video clip in SUM thread, super funny !
    Saw that Roger, very funny lol...

Back to AIR looking at today's trade pattern on the back of last two trading days trend, am beginning to think is there something cooking in the background. Someone seem to be soaking up all volume on offer..

Any ideas as to where this rally will top out?

Maybe a few people are in the know of a soon to be announced guidance upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by RTFQ View Post
    Any ideas as to where this rally will top out?
    From 4 Traders, current year PE 7.22, FY18 PE 7.72. http://www.4-traders.com/AIR-NEW-ZEA...07/financials/ Long run 10 year average PE for AIR is 11.
    Management seemed confident on last months months conference call that yields looking forward looked set to improve.
    Oil is down a bit since that conference call in late February.

QAN currently trading at A$4.00, current year PE 8.12, FY18 PE 7.65
    http://www.4-traders.com/QANTAS-AIRW...912/consensus/
    Last edited by Beagle; 30-03-2017 at 02:58 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

IMO

What if the Govt are selling their shareholding?. Any negatives there?

Default Not sure there is any point in such speculation but seeing as you asked

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    What if the Govt are selling their shareholding?. Any negatives there?
    LOL You've been reading too many of Marilyn Munroe's posts Joshuatree.

As you know already the Government's majority controlling interest protects Kiwi's national interests and provides a reliable source of new capital if for some unknown reason the airline needed it in the future. Something many people aren't aware of is that Government approval is required before any shareholder can own more than 10% of the airline.

This is purely speculative but in my opinion if for some reason the Govt wanted to remove those safeguards, (not that I think this is a good idea and is counter intuitive to protecting our national interest) you can well imagine a carrier like Singapore Airlines being able to borrow cheaply on the international debt market at 2-3% acquiring the airline at a significant premium to the current market price and based on a PE of say 10 giving an earnings yield of 10% this would be strongly EPS accretive for them from the get-go.

Disclaimer: I am not aware of any speculation in business or Govt circles or in any media channell which might suggest this is even a vague possibility.
    Only our dear friend Marilyn Munroe's posts suggest this is the best strategy for the Govt.
    Last edited by Beagle; 30-03-2017 at 04:51 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine