sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Nothing wrong with investing in airlines. Just remember not not invest into them during a downtrend , but this is probably true for all industries:
    A couple of times I’ve tempted fate and held AIR .....and they didn’t crash a plane ...but now feel third time I’d be unlucky and couldn’t live with thinking I’d caused a AIRplane to cash and killed hundreds of people.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    A couple of times I’ve tempted fate and held AIR .....and they didn’t crash a plane ...but now feel third time I’d be unlucky and couldn’t live with thinking I’d caused a AIRplane to cash and killed hundreds of people.
    Not quite sure I can follow ... why would your ownership cause a plane to crash? As well - planes don't crash because they are owned by winner, but because they are made by Boeing :

Anyway - current problem is not who owns the planes, but airlines business model (high fixed cost and swiftly dropping patronage) ...
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Not quite sure I can follow ... why would your ownership cause a plane to crash? As well - planes don't crash because they are owned by winner, but because they are made by Boeing :
    Maybe so but I would double my short position if Winner held and they started scenic flights to Antarctica again
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Maybe so but I would double my short position if Winner held and they started scenic flights to Antarctica again
    On the other hand - Antarctica is the only virus free continent left. Might be a desirable holiday destination ;
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    FTR
    Closed the short , a nice trade thanks Beagle for the suggestion.
    And while I don't like airlines I must admit though I dont like to hold short positions too long either. Despite what Jesse Livermore said.
    Posted 26 February. You got out way too early mate. Not too late to open a new position and get back on the ski slope.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

On the other hand - Antarctica is the only virus free continent left. Might be a desirable holiday destination ;
    Probably be okay on the Auckland Islands too, as long as not too many Aucklanders actually go there lol. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auckland_Islands

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12314629

Bookings for March drying up according to Tourism New Zealand.

Guidance was really optimistic so not guessing anymore ....but dividend will still be paid

http://nzx-prod-s7fsd7f98s.s3-websit...581/318334.pdf

Don’t blame Greg for sort of blaming the media for creating these turbulent times ...“We have been continuously monitoring bookings and in recent days have seen a further decline which coincides with media coverage of the spread of Covid-19 to most countries on our network as well as here in New Zealand,” says Mr Foran.

Risk Manager for FTX

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Don’t blame Greg for sort of blaming the media for creating these turbulent times ...“We have been continuously monitoring bookings and in recent days have seen a further decline which coincides with media coverage of the spread of Covid-19 to most countries on our network as well as here in New Zealand,” says Mr Foran.
    "Greg Foran has voluntarily offered to reduce his base pay of $1.65 millionby approximately 15% ($250,000)"

Surely they could maintain guidence after such a generous gesture.