sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    The crew member who attended the Bluff wedding didn't think he had an issue and now there's about 100 people paying the price. Absolutely its relevant !
    How many other Kiwi's are at risk because irresponsible crew are playing Russian roulette with people's lives ?
    Why are AIR deliberately concealing this information ? Could it be because they don't want the public to understand the risks in flying domestically or on what international routes remain ?

This smells worse than 7 day old fish left in the sun to rot.
    And knowing the number is 7 or 11 or 50 would make no difference to that - if they don't think a crew member has it then it won't be reported.

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    And knowing the number is 7 or 11 or 50 would make no difference to that - if they don't think a crew member has it then it won't be reported.
    The issues is all about OSH...

No point in stopping at AIR though, Beagle...
    How many bus drivers have been infected?
    How many shopping centre staff have been infected?
    How many health care workers have been infected? (this one is partially being shared)

I can see why this info isn't being specifically shared because it doesn't necessarily add value if the contact tracing is happening / has happened - what purpose does it serve other than to create fear in these critical services? I am comfortable with the approach, but I do think that the international air staff should all have been, and continue to be, subject to self isolation until 2 weeks after their last travel (just like every other international traveller)

Veteran novice

I think that dobby's right. It's not the number of crew who are/were positive Covid-19 that matters, it's the assurance that no such people are being put in potential contact with passengers, that is the issue.

Additionally, I would assume that under the current restrictions, international air crew might become infected and they might pass it on to passengers... but those passengers will go straight into quarantine and shouldn't pass it on to anyone else. So you're unlikely to get a repeat of the Bluff situation at least not anytime soon.

There is always going to be risk here. It's not about eliminating risk but about reducing it as much as possible.

Domestic air crew shouldn't be becoming infected. I assume you're not planning on leaving the country any time soon so flying domestically shouldn't be a problem.

I was shocked at how complacent Air NZ were leading up to the lockdown. My wife had to get from New Plymouth to Christchurch in a hurry on the 20th or March. I assumed they'd be spacing all the passengers out as best they could...the plane was maybe half full (half empty is probably more appropriate), but no, they had all the passengers seated around the centre of the plane for balancing purposes like they do. No masks or hand sanitisers to be seen anywhere...too laid back Kiwi.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    Well they initially started releasing the information then stopped... one assumes when it really started to get bad...
    That's how I see it.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

I wonder if AIR have enough crew that have had the virus and recovered,to man a flight to a high risk area?

The contact tracing internally at Air NZ is very effective and the medical team is well led by doctors/nurses there - I can tell you the number of infected crew is marginally above the 8 we already know of publicly. It is by no means out of control or a scary number.

All Charter crew are self isolated for 14 days - including the upcoming India Repatriation flights (where community transmission is an unknown) and all Los Angeles services (where community transmission is out of control). Vancouver charter crew were not required to self isolate back in NZ as Vancouver has extremely low levels of community transmission and the science I suppose supported that - though perhaps as a precaution it should have been imposed anyway.

Sadly the Bluff incident was a case of an asymptomatic tested person unknowingly infecting others. The person via tracing is known to not have contracted the virus at the workplace. This information wasn't made public.

Air NZ medical team have extensively traced each crew case and to date know that the person either unwittingly has gone to work untested and infected or has indeed gotten it on a layover. There is no case yet where onbaord transmission to or from crew has been found - via tracing. Still I do agree they could have done a better job with passenger spacing and the like.

The Vancouver situation is related to the behaviour of a particular individual and has caused a hell of a ruckus.

Outside thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinesekiwi View Post
    The contact tracing internally at Air NZ is very effective and the medical team is well led by doctors/nurses there - I can tell you the number of infected crew is marginally above the 8 we already know of publicly. It is by no means out of control or a scary number.

All Charter crew are self isolated for 14 days - including the upcoming India Repatriation flights (where community transmission is an unknown) and all Los Angeles services (where community transmission is out of control). Vancouver charter crew were not required to self isolate back in NZ as Vancouver has extremely low levels of community transmission and the science I suppose supported that - though perhaps as a precaution it should have been imposed anyway.

Sadly the Bluff incident was a case of an asymptomatic tested person unknowingly infecting others. The person via tracing is known to not have contracted the virus at the workplace. This information wasn't made public.

Air NZ medical team have extensively traced each crew case and to date know that the person either unwittingly has gone to work untested and infected or has indeed gotten it on a layover. There is no case yet where onbaord transmission to or from crew has been found - via tracing. Still I do agree they could have done a better job with passenger spacing and the like.

The Vancouver situation is related to the behaviour of a particular individual and has caused a hell of a ruckus.
    Good helpful post - Thank you.