sharetrader
Page 84 of 2020 FirstFirst ... 3474808182838485868788941341845841084 ... LastLast

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

I like the small buy and seller indication. The big firms are holding as they know of the good news to come. End of year will be very positive. AIR has a fantastic safety record and a great market position. Currently, they look solid... possibly in the best shape the company has been in for a long time. I expect that with the NZ dollar devaluing, soon there will be an increase in incoming travelers. With a great winter, lot's of snow... we should see healthy visitors numbers. Both national travel and international will be good. Thanks for that CJ, your right.

Default Dreamliner woes

I hope that the fire in the Ethiopian 787 parked unmanned on the tarmac at Heathrow has a trivial, easily resolved cause.

Poor aircraft choices can cripple an airline and if Cullen Airlines was to ditch the 787 and go for the A350 they would have to go to the back of the order queue.

The other problem, if they persisted with the 787 they would have to keep on more engineering staff longer than planned to keep their ageing 767's and 747's in the air, until the 787 was satisfactorily bedded in.

Boop boop de do

Marilyn

Quote Originally Posted by Food4Thought View Post
    I like the small buy and seller indication. The big firms are holding as they know of the good news to come. End of year will be very positive. AIR has a fantastic safety record and a great market position. Currently, they look solid... possibly in the best shape the company has been in for a long time. I expect that with the NZ dollar devaluing, soon there will be an increase in incoming travelers. With a great winter, lot's of snow... we should see healthy visitors numbers. Both national travel and international will be good. Thanks for that CJ, your right.
    NZ dollar weakness is a negative for AIR - fuel and aircraft costs are USD denominated. They do have hedging in place but it rolls of from about 90% to 10% over 24 months - a declining wedge. This has been mentioned before.

Continued Dreamliner issues are concerning - if delivery delays result FY15 could be impacted but n/c to this or next year.

That wouldn't be a problem for me MM. That means I would keep my job for longer..

Quote Originally Posted by slimwin View Post
    That wouldn't be a problem for me MM. That means I would keep my job for longer..
    sorry to hear that its under threat slimwin. Hopefully there is something out there for those made redundant as a result of reduced maintenance requirements for the latest generation aircraft.

Yeah. A necessarary evil that I fully inderstand. A dying industry. At least in the capacity we know it now. Aircrew will be next in time. Think drone operators..
    For me it'll be back to study. Project management or quantity surveying.
    Unless there is some financially sorted woman out there looking for a 43 yo solo dad!

Operating stats for June (last month of FY13)

A disappointing showing really - Group RPK down significantly. On the plus side its the cutting of underperforming Asian flights that have caused this. Anyway it reduces the top-line while my fuel forecast is based on company data which should incorporate route cuts (but may not). Yield materially weaker, and clearly so on domestic - but then again costs have been falling as a320 arrive.

Nothing to get excited about anyway - results out next month - could see a small beat, most picking earnings to come in at the top of guidance.

Quote Originally Posted by modandm View Post
    Operating stats for June (last month of FY13)

A disappointing showing really - Group RPK down significantly. On the plus side its the cutting of underperforming Asian flights that have caused this. Anyway it reduces the top-line while my fuel forecast is based on company data which should incorporate route cuts (but may not). Yield materially weaker, and clearly so on domestic - but then again costs have been falling as a320 arrive.

Nothing to get excited about anyway - results out next month - could see a small beat, most picking earnings to come in at the top of guidance.
    I was shocked at how poor the yield result was. It had dropped from 1.6% to 0.9% in one month. RPK's down as well. With higher oil prices and weak NZ dollar, fuel costs will also be a headwind for FY14.

I heard a quote recently... "Only ever date airline stocks. Never marry them". Well AIR.NZ, you are dumped(sold).

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    I was shocked at how poor the yield result was. It had dropped from 1.6% to 0.9% in one month. RPK's down as well. With higher oil prices and weak NZ dollar, fuel costs will also be a headwind for FY14.

I heard a quote recently... "Only ever date airline stocks. Never marry them". Well AIR.NZ, you are dumped(sold).
    Same here. Also dated them for 18 months and sold after about 6 months and made a loss for tax purposes. Then bought them back again a short while later for .845c,.875,.88,.89,.90. Then sold them at $1 and then bought them back at $1.04, $1.05 and $1.13 and then sold them for $1.305 , $1.31 and got my money back pluss a couple of thousand. Am i a slut or what?

Quote Originally Posted by see weed View Post
    Same here. Also dated them for 18 months and sold after about 6 months and made a loss for tax purposes. Then bought them back again a short while later for .845c,.875,.88,.89,.90. Then sold them at $1 and then bought them back at $1.04, $1.05 and $1.13 and then sold them for $1.305 , $1.31 and got my money back pluss a couple of thousand. Am i a slut or what?
    I've been dating other airline stocks at the same time! And I didn't even use protection (crude oil price options).