sharetrader

Thread: AIR - Air NZ.

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Actually very few people called for $3 this time around and it was only very late afternoon trading when Asian and Chinese markets were open that pushed it over $3 yesterday.
    The push over $3 was late as you say but the ramp up was big time and in early trading, on the day. It might be a worthless exercise but interesting to correlate the rhetoric and timing here to SP moves on the market. I reckon ST has more influence from a very small vocal minority than that minority care to acknowledge. Jmho.

Vision over Visibility

Just over 1 year ago.

Same thinking and outlook hold true. Personally, I kept averaging down during the drop / free fall when the sky was caving in due to all the increased competition (international flights to/from NZ) and perceived impact.

With the Chief Digital officer well now with > 1 year at AIR.... I'm anticipating some new and targeted digital offerings in the wings.... Who knows.. Bag tracking? More retail integration in-flight? Check in, weight calculation, x-ray all by walking through/across something with biometrics? etc

http://www.businessinsider.com/sc/fa...ion/?r=AU&IR=T
    http://fantasy.co/legacy/fi-airlines/

Looking ahead, per many of Roger's insights, future earnings, PE, yield, reduced debt/leverage - returns look great to me over 5 year span.

Risk..... ? I have been wondering, at what stage does NZ population and domestic travel start to become big enough to sustain a 3rd operator .... the point being 'sustain' as we've seen lessons from the past. Population of 5m, 7m, 10m?

Ever wonder why NZ Profits so super-high?.. they are able to price-set really really well, particularly domestically. The pricing regime on their website is so tuned to making available each seat at highest price point possible - target highest use of day to limit low price sets, yet hook us in with low cost marketing for the few seats.... coupled with the loyalty airpoints which must be by now their greatest 'asset' (2.4m account holders driving 78% of their sales/service interactions).... which makes us all feel great to move up the tiers and we feel so rewarded... yet we're paying 2 times, 5 times, 10 times for it. Hats off to them for being so astute IMO.

Guru

The outlook for airlines - threatening skies

4:00 PM Friday Jun 2, 2017

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11867603

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    The outlook for airlines - threatening skies

4:00 PM Friday Jun 2, 2017

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11867603
    At least our man Chris is going to that IATA meeting - he'll tell them that they worry too much and it's all honky dory in the industry ((at least in Australia and New Zealand
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by hamish View Post
    Just over 1 year ago.

Same thinking and outlook hold true. Personally, I kept averaging down during the drop / free fall when the sky was caving in due to all the increased competition (international flights to/from NZ) and perceived impact.

With the Chief Digital officer well now with > 1 year at AIR.... I'm anticipating some new and targeted digital offerings in the wings.... Who knows.. Bag tracking? More retail integration in-flight? Check in, weight calculation, x-ray all by walking through/across something with biometrics? etc

http://www.businessinsider.com/sc/fa...ion/?r=AU&IR=T
    http://fantasy.co/legacy/fi-airlines/

Looking ahead, per many of Roger's insights, future earnings, PE, yield, reduced debt/leverage - returns look great to me over 5 year span.

Risk..... ? I have been wondering, at what stage does NZ population and domestic travel start to become big enough to sustain a 3rd operator .... the point being 'sustain' as we've seen lessons from the past. Population of 5m, 7m, 10m?

Ever wonder why NZ Profits so super-high?.. they are able to price-set really really well, particularly domestically. The pricing regime on their website is so tuned to making available each seat at highest price point possible - target highest use of day to limit low price sets, yet hook us in with low cost marketing for the few seats.... coupled with the loyalty airpoints which must be by now their greatest 'asset' (2.4m account holders driving 78% of their sales/service interactions).... which makes us all feel great to move up the tiers and we feel so rewarded... yet we're paying 2 times, 5 times, 10 times for it. Hats off to them for being so astute IMO.
    Their data analysis needed psychological insights to tune customer analytics which now has occurred. It has improved from last year being below average for a world class company imho to above average..that is quite some improvement over twelve months. That in itself made it a buy for me. Competition has not found an answer to their distinct point of difference on network robustness and depth. I had several tricks over them to get a good deal in the past and now I'm just down to one that has worked. They are getting things tight.

Sold another substantial bundle this week for rich award and yet i will continue to hold as this company is starting to get clever... I expect more to come.

Though the sheep listening to the analysts most likely will have the short term say. Stop loss can be your friend.
    Last edited by Raz; 02-06-2017 at 09:35 PM.

At what stage will the government make the decision to sell the remaining 50+% it owns. Will not be soon but the idea will eventually come up.

Good insights Raz re AIR digital/data/analytics performance and how it advantages them.

Maybe AIR needs to be valued as a tech stock ......that just happens to fly planes

Be more than 3 bucks if that was the case
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Well said mate. They've almost been as wrong as all those (who you can easily go back on this thread and see who they are), who thought AIR was a sell in late 2016 at ~ $1.80.
    Agreed with Roger. Those analysts always creates a panic in market and the poor retailers start selling. i have been reading this forum for while and see lots of negatives posts (when SP is gaining and some forum member exited with low SP). I am a long believer in AIR for many years. I have brought some of the shares when SP was over 3 last year (never paniced it when some of the lovely nz analysts downgraded after fy16). now i have lots volumes in AIR which i builded up over the last 10months (mostly brought when many mum and dad panic and start selling) and have a healthy profits of over $100K on my portfolio ATM and received some juicy dividends.

By the way i have all eggs in one basket which is AIR. I'm sill holding as i believe in AIR and its management.

Quote Originally Posted by Meextr View Post
    At what stage will the government make the decision to sell the remaining 50+% it owns. Will not be soon but the idea will eventually come up.
    Given public sentiment, that would spell political suicide for an incumbent Government. I can't see it happening for the foreseeable future, especially before an election.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    Don't underestimate the influence of the vocal few on the passive masses, even the 4% can move the SP and there's 5x more lurkers here than members online. That said, I would wonder about why a yield and returns stalwart would engage in SP discussion as that's irrelevant to their strategy and objectives.
    Agree.
    Maybe to the tune of between $6mil and $10mil,on this share alone. .