sharetrader
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Hybrid View

Is there any (NZ) tax advantage for say investing in an ETF such as FNZ (top 50 NZX) and a managed investment fund e.g. Simplicity NZ Share which is also based on the NZX50?

New Question: I wanted some Aussie stocks but haven't a clue about their exchange so I looked into ASD Smartshares Aus Divs. Present Shareprice $1.64 and divs 5.23%. Looks OK until one looks at the EPS... -37.4cents! Wott! How are they staying afloat?
    Then OK, had a look at other Smartshares... ASF, Aussie Financials. EPS - $1.67
    ASP Aus Property EPS - $1.50
    Could someone please explain the logic of these investments?

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    New Question: I wanted some Aussie stocks but haven't a clue about their exchange so I looked into ASD Smartshares Aus Divs. Present Shareprice $1.64 and divs 5.23%. Looks OK until one looks at the EPS... -37.4cents! Wott! How are they staying afloat?
    Then OK, had a look at other Smartshares... ASF, Aussie Financials. EPS - $1.67
    ASP Aus Property EPS - $1.50
    Could someone please explain the logic of these investments?
    You need to be aware that the earnings of these investments is the change in market value of their holdings plus the dividends received from said holdings.
    Their financial year ends on 31 March, every year.

So on 31-Mar-2020 the Oz market was just beginning to recover from the great covid sell-off, and thus these funds NTA values were deeply down on the prior year.

Come 31-Mar-2021 it is likely, though not certain, that the earnings will be similarly spectacularly positive.

The logic is the usual logic of investing in any ETF.
    om mani peme hum

Thanks. Snow Leopard. So although ASD is Aussie Dividends Smartshares, one is investing in companies giving good dividends, but relying on their growth characteristics for earnings? Not quite what I had envisaged.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Thanks. Snow Leopard. So although ASD is Aussie Dividends Smartshares, one is investing in companies giving good dividends, but relying on their growth characteristics for earnings? Not quite what I had envisaged.
    No. Where did you get that idea from?
    om mani peme hum