sharetrader

Default Career change - Financial Adviser

I’m a long time reader, first time poster. I’ve always had an interest in finance and have being investing in equities throughout most of my 20s (I am now 30). I currently work in marketing but have decided to take a change of career direction and begin studying through Massey with the intention of becoming an AFA.

I know there are a lot of experienced members here who have been involved in this world for a long time. I’m looking for any advice that you’d offer to someone looking to make a career shift into advisory.

I completed the Graduate Diploma in Business Studies (endorsed for Personal Financial Planning) from Massey in 2010 and just last year started working as an advisor. So it can be done. Between, I worked in insurance assessing business interruption claims (from the CHCH eq's mainly) which was fantastic exposure to analysing a business even if they were SME's

Prior to 2010 I'd been working in IT for 15 years but did have a lot of exposure to markets all through my life so wasn't exactly starting from scratch. The maths is challenging in the course - as it should be.

Best advice I can give is follow your dream. Do what you love, not for the money.
    But its a very cyclical industry, so be prepared for ups and downs.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

interdasting

I am in the same kinda boat. Have been an "analyst" my whole career. Every type of analyst (financial, risk, commercial, costing, data etc) and now I'm a senior investment adviser (in public sector infrastructure)

But have had a dual career starting off in property investment and dabbling in shares - in the last few years as I have sold property have invested more into share and expanded into managed funds, private equity and some p2p lending. About 60% of my income now comes of this side of my career.

I would really like to do this full time, and have made the first step of setting up a private investment fund to get me started (which I will manage for free).

I was wondering if I went and did a CFA and tried to become a financial adviser, how much my experience (in both "careers") would count for.
    Also I'm a bit older - 40 - so might I have left it too late?

I am ok with earning a bit less, as i said I have a pretty good job now, and it still only is about 40% of my annual net earnings. so would not be doing this for the money. I like talking finance / investments and helping out people with these type of things.