sharetrader
Page 478 of 479 FirstFirst ... 378428468474475476477478479 LastLast
Results 4,771 to 4,780 of 4789

VG ...can I recommend anything written by Sir Max Hastings.
    BTW ...History WILL repeat.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by troyvdh View Post
    VG ...can I recommend anything written by Sir Max Hastings.
    BTW ...History WILL repeat.
    cheers
    Thanks, Troyvdh. Which one will you recommend from the following llist?
    https://www.maxhastings.com/products/

Thanks VG.
    For me Vietnam and Catastrophe. and off course All hell went loose.
    Stunningly good books to read..
    Very sobering.
    Sir Max Hastings actually visited CHCH a few years back...he had a bad cold...
    cheers

Thanks troyvdh. Once I watched youtube videos on the Vietnam war and korean war.
    Thanks VG.
    For me Vietnam and Catastrophe. and off course All hell went loose.
    Stunningly good books to read..
    Very sobering.
    Sir Max Hastings actually visited CHCH a few years back...he had a bad cold...
    cheers
    Last edited by Valuegrowth; 19-04-2024 at 08:05 PM.

Advanced Member

Time to get with it on Drones esp counter-drone people eg. DRO (middle of capital raise) & EOS (just finished CR) in Aust. Disclosure: own both

Ukraine’s Experience in Developing Lethal Drones Should Be Lesson for NATO, Says Panel

https://news.usni.org/2024/04/18/ukr...cid=69f0fdfd1e
    Last edited by Davexl; 20-04-2024 at 09:43 AM.
    All science is either Physics or stamp collecting - Ernest Rutherford

Quote Originally Posted by Valuegrowth View Post
    Thanks troyvdh. Once I watched youtube videos on the Vietnam war and korean war.
    Hi troyvdh I think I should read “Retribution: The Battle for Japan, 1944-45”as well in addition to books that you recommended. My grandfather fought for the British Army and narrowly escaped from the Japanese bombing, and he was very brave too. He and one of his sons always encouraged others to work for arm forces. I have a different view. I don’t want to invest in defense stocks.

VG indeed.Also Bomber Command.

Another great historian is Anthony Beevor.
    Author of Crete Stalingrad and Berlin.

Outstanding reads...cheers...

And lets not forget "Searching for Charlie" (Upham) VC and bar.Author Tom Scott who took a year off to write this book.

I believe this should be compulsory reading for teenagers.

I say again history always repeats.
    Last edited by troyvdh; 20-04-2024 at 02:24 PM.

VG indeed.Also Bomber Command.

Another great historian is Anthony Beevor.
    Author of Crete Stalingrad and Berlin.

Outstanding reads...cheers...

And lets not forget "Searching for Charlie" (Upham) VC and bar.Author Tom Scott who took a year off to write this book.

I believe this should be compulsory reading for teenagers.

I say again history always repeats.
    Thanks troyvdh. Last time I ordered nearly 5 to 7 books on investment. That helped me to pick some quality stocks and not to make investment mistakes. By reading history books I’m sure I can become a successful investor. Also, it’s interesting to learn history. By chance I got a YouTube to watch on the history of English Language. I couldn’t believe how English language got so many foreign words as a result of different invaders at different times throughout the history. Some were really violent. As you said I have to agree with “History is going to repeat”.

https://www.ft.com/content/1b25ab3c-...a-2bb228977c41

Successful investors learn from history.

Thanks VG.
    Ive said this before.I believe there is huge difference between money and wealth.
    cheer

Re language.. England has been invaded more than a few times.

An example in the 1600 th century Sweden virtually owned all of Europe and a good chunk of Russia.

Before the British empire ...The world was dominated by the dutch...
    Last edited by troyvdh; 20-04-2024 at 05:47 PM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taXIbXYt6YY
    The Israel Lobby with John Mearsheimer and Stephen Walt | Outside the Box Podcast Apr 18, 2024

Dr. John Mearsheimer and Dr. Stephen Walt discuss the taboo surrounding the Israel lobby. They highlight the historical backdrop of anti-Semitism in the West, conspiracy theories, and the tragic events of the Holocaust that make it challenging to discuss the lobby without triggering accusations of anti-Semitism.

3:02 The central argument of the original article, in the subsequent book was that American Middle East policy was heavily shaped by domestic politics and in particular by the various political activities of a loose Coalition of groups that we labeled the Israel Lobby.
    3:14 And the basic argument was that the relationship between United States and Israel was unprecedented. There was no similar relationship between the United States and any other country. It was a special relationship where the United States gave Israel enormous amounts of economic military and diplomatic support and did so more less unconditionally regardless of what Israel's conduct was. And one could have justified that in previous decades by arguing Israel was a strategic asset and by saying that the two countries had shared values, you know common democracies etc. We argued that both of those arguments were less and less persuasive over time. Israel was less of a strategic asset and American values and Israeli values were diverging sharply particularly as a result of the long occupation of the West Bank and the treatment of the Palestinians.
    And so how could you explain the consistence of this relationship and in particular the fact that it kept getting deeper more extensive, more generous higher levels of support. And we argued this was mostly due to the Israeli lobby and its ability like other interest groups in American society to steer American policy in a particular direction so that the United States backed Israel no matter what it did and politicians by and large would say nothing about this, would never criticize Israel etc, That it was in a unique position in the body politic and that was due to primarily to the activities of the lobby.

5:13 First of all it's very important to understand that the key issue that the lobby focuses on is the relationship between Israel and the Palestinians and that's the issue on which they have the greatest influence. The Israel Lobby doesn't win every time. It is an enormously powerful Lobby and it wins most of the time for sure, but the one issue that it wins almost all the time on is the Palestinian issue and that's the issue they care the most about and that's why you see the lobby working overtime at this point in time regarding what's going on in Gaza .Another point that you want to keep in mind is that it is not a Jewish lobby, a lot of our critics like to label it as the Jewish Lobby.

6:20 The lobby is not comprised of all Jews. In fact there are a good number of Jews who don't care much at all about Israel. And there are a good number of Jews who are also deeply opposed to what Israel is doing with regard to the Palestinians and therefore oppose Israeli policy. So not all Jews should be identified with the lobby and furthermore within the lobby you have Christian Zionists who are obviously not Jews. So this is why we call it the Israel Lobby and we don't identify the lobby simply with Jews.

6:59 Furthermore it's very important to emphasize that the lobby works in two very different ways. This is a rather simple distinction that we make in the book but it is a powerful and important one. Number one the lobby tries to influence the discourse in the United States about Israel. And number two it wields great influence in the policy process. In other words, the lobby goes to great lengths to influence how the White House and how Congress think and act toward Israel, and that's different than influencing the discourse. When our book came out and before that when the article came out the lobby went to great lengths to delegitimize our article and our book because they saw it as a threat in the context of the discourse.

8:37 First of all when you're shaping the policy process in the executive branch part of this is to make sure that sympathetic individuals are in key positions and that people who might have a different view, want the United States to have a different set of policies never get appointed to these senior positions. So if you look at the people who are responsible for American foreign policy in the Middle East now none of them are people who have been critical of Israel in the past in any significant way. those people are excluded from even consideration.