sharetrader
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

davflaws - I think you are overlooking the govt's inability to comply with it's own requirements as a landlord with the current volumes of social housing, amongst other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Logen Ninefingers View Post
    If New Zealand is “one of the richest nation’s in the world” as James Shaw alleges then why is the whole country on some sort of welfare? From ‘winter energy’ payments to elderly millionaires, ‘cost of living’ payments, WFF pumped in the accounts of those that decided to have multiple kids, accomodation supplements for those who can’t pay their rent or mortgage….the list goes on and on. We are “one of the richest nation’s in the world” but we are borrowing $1 billion per week….make it make sense!!
    Makes perfect sense to me. A pork chop, a lawnmower, i-phone, or wall insulation all represent the same amount of resources whether they are govt handouts, subsidised, or paid for in gold earned by the honest sweat of John Gaunt's brow. If you tot up the amount of pork chops etc, we have more per head of popullation than most places in the world.

Economies go in cycles. Governments borrow money to smooth those cycles. If they don't, bad things (like depressions) happen. This country has a healthy credit rating, resulting from our good debt/GDP ratio, our political stability, and probably other stuff I can't think of right now. We are able to borrow on good terms as a result, and are managing our way through some very difficult worldwide problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Logen Ninefingers View Post
    Could Shaw also tell us what the source of this great wealth is, because as far as I know we export some milk, cheese, logs, kiwifruit, meat - and that’s about it. We don’t have the vast mineral resources of our neighbour Australia. Where does Shaw think this vast wealth is being generated? Or does he believe that someone who borrows a million dollars is “rich’(?)
    It's got nothing to do with borrowing except insofar as our ability to borrow has allowed usto keep the economy moving and growing. You have it right in terms of our exports, which largely come down to climate but it isn't the whole story. we also have a free and peaceful society with a good education system, an amazing climate and scenery. Tourism and education have been important earners. Because we are a nice safe place to live, we also compete well for skilled migrants, whos skills and education are imported free. Our well educated population aren't as productive as they should be, but that would be easily fixed by more investment in tech.

We would be a bloody sight richer but for the twin disasters of Rogernomics and Ruthenasia,

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatestben View Post
    davflaws - I think you are overlooking the govt's inability to comply with it's own requirements as a landlord with the current volumes of social housing, amongst other things.
    Maybe - but you would need to explain further before I could comment.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by davflaws View Post
    Makes perfect sense to me. A pork chop, a lawnmower, i-phone, or wall insulation all represent the same amount of resources whether they are govt handouts, subsidised, or paid for in gold earned by the honest sweat of John Gaunt's brow. If you tot up the amount of pork chops etc, we have more per head of popullation than most places in the world.

Economies go in cycles. Governments borrow money to smooth those cycles. If they don't, bad things (like depressions) happen. This country has a healthy credit rating, resulting from our good debt/GDP ratio, our political stability, and probably other stuff I can't think of right now. We are able to borrow on good terms as a result, and are managing our way through some very difficult worldwide problems.

It's got nothing to do with borrowing except insofar as our ability to borrow has allowed usto keep the economy moving and growing. You have it right in terms of our exports, which largely come down to climate but it isn't the whole story. we also have a free and peaceful society with a good education system, an amazing climate and scenery. Tourism and education have been important earners. Because we are a nice safe place to live, we also compete well for skilled migrants, whos skills and education are imported free. Our well educated population aren't as productive as they should be, but that would be easily fixed by more investment in tech.

We would be a bloody sight richer but for the twin disasters of Rogernomics and Ruthenasia,
    Your handle is most apt, the flaws in your arguments are obvious. The people who constantly trumpet our purported ‘low debt’ are the same people who bleated non-stop for 9 years about ‘ballooning debt’ under National. The hypocrisy and cynicism is breath-taking.
    Last edited by Logen Ninefingers; 18-05-2023 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davflaws View Post
    Maybe - but you would need to explain further before I could comment.
    I don't think they'll even come close to meeting their obligations by 2024 (again) - https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/politi...AAPFTFU3HR4UQ/

I live in an area with a huge amount of new state housing going in, some of them are already looking like slums. Living in a crappy house and putting that person into a nice new one doesn't lead to change in a lot of cases. Yep they're in a nicer house, but do they treat it any differently? no.

I'd rather see the list reduce in size due to less people requiring the service rather than by increasing the supply of state homes.

Guru

Marama Davidson now telling the nation that “New Zealand is a wealthy country”.
    I’d agree if you consider artificially inflated and unsustainable asset prices + massive debt to be ‘wealth’.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatestben View Post
    I don't think they'll even come close to meeting their obligations by 2024 (again) - https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/politi...AAPFTFU3HR4UQ/

I live in an area with a huge amount of new state housing going in, some of them are already looking like slums. Living in a crappy house and putting that person into a nice new one doesn't lead to change in a lot of cases. Yep they're in a nicer house, but do they treat it any differently? no.

I'd rather see the list reduce in size due to less people requiring the service rather than by increasing the supply of state homes.
    In Hastings, Kauri St got a Kaianga Ora rebuild at great cost to the taxpayers, all nice and flash, and now 12 months later, more Police visits than ever, and some of those transferred in, want to escape.

What will the do gooders and bleeding hearts find to blame for the social misfits, if they can't blame the housing.

You can move the people out of the houses, but you can't take the ****house out of the people!

I see Chloe’s partner is now Wellington’s Mayor’s newly appointed Chief of Staff

Hmmm
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    I see Chloe’s partner is now Wellington’s Mayor’s newly appointed Chief of Staff

Hmmm

When is Chloe being lined up for a spot on Wellington Council payroll .. away from all the noisy destructive beehive parrots ?

Legend

https://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-ti...-its-last-legs

Is the Government's He Waka Eke Noa agricultural emissions legislation on its last legs?

Climate Change Minister James Shaw says farmers need certainty when it comes to agricultural emissions pricing, but he hasn’t provided any when asked whether the Government’s He Waka Eke Noa scheme would be passed in Parliament in its current form before the election.

Certainty comes in October with a change in Political Climate - James

The sort of change that sees Labour & Green incompetents sent packing