sharetrader

Hybrid View

On the doghouse

Default IR860: A guide 'FOR' PIEs

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    I don't have a clue what any of the requirements are for a listed PIE now that I have read the IRD introductory page. That page is pure drivel, nothing more.
    I am looking through the guide below, with my eye on information in regard to 'listed PIEs', which is one of four kinds.
    https://www.ird.govt.nz/-/media/proj...20220119011852

Notes from the above link are below (I simply put the word 'listed' into the pdf 'document word search' and saw what came up.)

A 'listed PIE' (LP), a PIE that may be found on the NZX, is one of four PIE classifications and is not an MRP.

However an alternatively classified 'Multi-rate PIE' (MRP), an entity that contains a foreign investment PIE, can still be listed on an index in New Zealand, without being a classified 'listed PIE'.

Listed PIEs do not file 'PIE periodic returns' or 'annual reconciliations' and are required to continue to file income tax returns.

Listed PIEs do not pass losses out to investors.

Listed PIEs may pay dividends. Dividends paid by a listed PIE are required to be fully credited to the extent permitted by the imputation credits available (IOW listed PIEs cannot choose not to pass tax credits on).

Unlike other PIEs, 'listed PIEs' are not required to provide quarterly reporting.

From p12 of this document there is a list of collective requirements for a 'listed PIE' that contain details that were absent from the 'drivel content list' from the post above:
    "Passive income, (includes such things) such as dividends, interest and rent. For example: A company may run a supermarket. If its interest in the supermarket business equals or exceeds 10% (the investment type and income type requirements) of the total income of the
    company, it cannot become a PIE."

From p14
    Imputation credit requirement: All distributions to members of an investor class must be fully imputed for the purpose of establishing the available subscribed capital amount. The extent that imputation credits are available is determined by the directors of the entity.

An MRP cannot maintain an ICA (Imputation Credit Account).

'Listed PIE's must maintain an ICA.

From p19
    Distributions or dividends from listed PIEs to shareholders
    Distributions or dividends to New Zealand resident natural persons and New Zealand resident trustees that are shareholders in a listed PIE are excluded income unless the shareholder includes the dividend in their tax return. The amount of any distribution or dividend that is not fully imputed is also considered excluded income of the shareholder. These dividends are not liable for Resident Withholding Tax nor NRWT

From p54
    "Where shares in a listed PIE are held as part of a share-trading business, any gains received on sale of the shares will be taxable, to an investor who is not a PIE."

Investor Expenses
    Generally investor fees charged by the MRP in relation to an investor's interest in the MRP will be taken into account when it calculates the tax liability for the investor. The investor will not be able to claim the fees in their tax return.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 13-01-2024 at 06:51 AM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7