sharetrader

Hybrid View

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatestben View Post
    I'll give it a read, I've got both but probably a unique situation in rentals as I built them. Don't plan on putting any more money into property but looking to save/invest about a 3rd of our household net income a year.

Both articles look at the owner-occupier house as investments and as if most people in nz buy their house with the motivation or intention for it to be as an investment. I don't think that's true, atleast not when they buy it. Maybe once they gain a bit of equity and their incomes rise with time but ultimately most people want their own home, a space to be themselves without a landlord to consider.

Money isn't always the reason people do things, sometimes they make a lot of money from a decision even when they don't actively pursue it.

I don't think I've ever met anyone who is living or has lived out the scenario of renting and investing/saving the difference, everyone ends up either buying property or pissing the difference up against the wall.
    Back in my twenties in the 1990’s, many if not most of my contemporaries who bought a house regarded it as an investment first, home second. They were often encouraged by parents not to wait too long before getting on the “property ladder.”

Most did not have partners let alone families. However they bought to get a step on the property escalator and to build up equity mostly tax free. Those going overseas wanted an investment working for them whilst away and not face the likely over inflated price increases when they returned.

The current generation of twenty somethings have mostly ( there are exceptions of course) been priced out of doing that, certainly so without help from wealthy family. More are probably staying overseas for longer.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 22-04-2023 at 08:09 AM.