sharetrader
Page 295 of 295 FirstFirst ... 195245285291292293294295
Results 2,941 to 2,944 of 2944

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    You keep getting confused and conflating issues.

Nobody on here has said they are against efforts to revitalise and support Maori culture.

There are all sorts of initiatives that successive govts do to try restore mana.

It generally has broad support from the public.

We are talking about ramming through a pro-Maori obligation as part of a bribe to media who were (and still are) in a pretty desperate financial position.

The argument is that there should not be any of these types of conditions to receive the funding. And that these conditions have knock on effects.

For instance, the reporting on co-governance…there was no rigorous journalism and hard questions of the govt being asked about what it all actually means, how it fits within our overall democracy etc.

And one conclusion that is drawn is that they never grilled the govt on this because it is a Maori/TOW issue, and they just took a sack of cash on the provision they would proirotise and enhance Maori/TOW coverage.

You can see the issue, yeah?
    I can see what you are saying, no confusion, it's been obvious what your interpretation is. None of the conditions outlined mandate what you have interpreted.

Coverage of Maori issues was not dictated as being 'pro Maori' what ever that means.

I saw plenty of opinion pieces reported on MSM that were against the Labour Maori Caucus's agenda

I saw coverage of Hobson Choice's agenda. So the funding didn't prevent a balance of views being reported.

And I disagree, there is a vocal minority that are very anti anything Maori.
    Last edited by Daytr; Today at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    And I disagree, there is a vocal minority that are very anti anything Maori.
    I'd suggest it's not anti-maori but anti-affirmative action. I believe the majority (as voted by the majority of NZ'ers at the last election) want a equal opportunities and democrat meritocracy rather than the race based systems the last government implemented

DFABPCLMB

Quote Originally Posted by causecelebre View Post
    I'd suggest it's not anti-maori but anti-affirmative action. I believe the majority (as voted by the majority of NZ'ers at the last election) want a equal opportunities and democrat meritocracy rather than the race based systems the last government implemented
    Hear hear. Talk to any South African and they will tell you NZ is (or was) heading down the same destructive path as SA where meritocracy was thrown out of the window.

Quote Originally Posted by causecelebre View Post
    Agree there was a push back against the Maori Caucus agenda as I have already stated and I was in agreement with.

Re the anti Maori, you only had to go to public meetings during the election campaign to here hisses & boos when any te reo was used. It's also on display on social media everyday. It's a minority as I said bur they are vocal to their embarrassment. Racism is alive & well in NZ like every country in the world.