sharetrader
Page 237 of 318 FirstFirst ... 137187227233234235236237238239240241247287 ... LastLast
Results 2,361 to 2,370 of 3176
    Permanent Newbie

Can't change the past, you can only learn from it.

Good to see waste being cut from the public service, and a stop to the separatist race based policy,but further back you (Balance) in the thread express concern at the number of productive people leaving the country.

Do you think doubling the population by 2060 will make NZ a better place? Different yes, but better?

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...KACSHBJX4KBIY/

Part of the reason NZ cannot pay police more is that tax cuts have to be funded from somewhere. Blindly pushing ahead with tax cuts when there are useful things to spend it on.

The form of the tax cuts, although I disagree with the interest deductiblity and complicated rules around residential property investment, first home buyers were starting to outnumber investors and "investors" could still get full deductibility if they actually built a house to rent rather than buying an existing asset.

Time to let the Labour debacle go, and question whether our current government is doing the right thing. What have they or will they do to make NZ attractive for young people? Or will we just continue to make NZ a happy place for old people as the IMF survey suggests.

https://mishtalk.com/economics/us-dr...piness-report/
    Last edited by Aaron; 31-03-2024 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Can't change the past, you can only learn from it.

Good to see waste being cut from the public service, and a stop to the separatist race based policy,but further back you (Balance) in the thread express concern at the number of productive people leaving the country.
    The past is the past but when past policies continue to feature strongly in undermining the fabric of NZ as a society and country, then the policies need to be reversed and changed.

The cancer of racial, social and economic divisions cultivated and promoted by Labour & the Maori Cabal is so wide-spread and ingrained that the new government imo will be unable to do anything. Total lack of political will to reverse the divisive policies.

Spoke to my Filipino neighbours (nurses on work visa) and they are not stupid or ignorant about what's happening in NZ. They can see the health system in crisis and they can also see how divisive the race based system is. So they will do their 3 years under the work visa, get their PR and then NZ citizenship 2 years after that. Then, it's off to Australia for them - just as my ex-colleague (hubby is a nurse) & family who left NZ and have happily settled in Brisbane. They love it there - better pay, better work conditions and they welcomed their second child there. So very pleased and happy for them.

NZ is now but a transit point for migrant workers who will mostly follow the same routine imo - and who can blame them when they see their NZ colleagues getting the heck out of NZ.
    Last edited by Balance; 31-03-2024 at 11:26 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    The past is the past but when past policies continue to feature strongly in undermining the fabric of NZ as a society and country, then the policies need to be reversed and changed.

The cancer of racial, social and economic divisions cultivated and promoted by Labour & the Maori Cabal is so wide-spread and ingrained that the new government imo will be unable to do anything. Total lack of political will to reverse the divisive policies.

Spoke to my Filipino neighbours (nurses on work visa) and they are not stupid or ignorant about what's happening in NZ. They can see the health system in crisis and they can also see how divisive the race based system is. So they will do their 3 years under the work visa, get their PR and then NZ citizenship 2 years after that. Then, it's off to Australia for them - just as my ex-colleague (hubby is a nurse) & family who left NZ and have happily settled in Brisbane. They love it there - better pay, better work conditions and they welcomed their second child there. So very pleased and happy for them.

NZ is now but a transit point for migrant workers who will mostly follow the same routine imo - and who can blame them when they see their NZ colleagues getting the heck out of NZ.
    Can’t argue with that. I think Brisbane would be an awesome place to live for the balance between opportunity and lifestyle. My wife can’t handle the heat though, so that’s the end of that! Ha!

One thing I will add though is that it is not ALL roses.

As more and more people (quite understandably) flock to Melbourne and Brisbane, competition for jobs increases. You are up against other very skilled people. If you are good at what you do, you will get a job but it may take longer than you think.

Great for employers over there!

On the flip side, I have found in my line of work that the competition is much less so I am able to contract around without too much issue getting a new gig. There is still competition, but if I am up against a lot if freshies the advantage is mine even if some these guys have better technical skills in some areas because they cannot communicate as well as I can, or understand the culture etc.

So not everyone is a ‘loser’ with people heading overseas. And those that do leave will see that the grass is not quite as green over there as they imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Please don’t dismiss the sacrifIces made by some as being short term. To this day the effect is felt by me, by us, of having a family member alone and confused in a short staffed hospital and denied visitors. And there are those whose businessses and jobs were seriously impacted with mental health effects, even if there was some compo.

Also the sacrifices of those who did not want to be vaccinated, was in effect a fight imposed upon them by the government covid response, no matter how medically justified.
    I was referring to getting vaccinated and not mixing in the hundreds or thousands in protests during a global pandemic. Nothing else.
    It wasn't the Government's fault people chose not to get vaccinated it was their ignorant & selfish choice, a choice that had consequences, to keep the wider population safe.
    Yes there was overreach, however that's much easier to say in hindsight.

My own business was seriously impacted and still is from the impacts of high interest rates and Cyclone Gabriele. The Government provided massive subsidies, but unfortunately as like many parts of the world experienced & some were going to fail. Of course I have sympathy for those who brunted the biggest losses / costs being it personal or business but there are always going to be casualties when it comes to such major events, be them health, natural disasters etc.

NZ is recognized as having one of the best responses to the pandemic globally. So much so other places like Australia copied what we were doing. Remember Melbourne and what they went through before they got tough? New York? Italy?

We had some of the shortest lockdowns compared to most Western countries as well.
    Hard as it was for some people and individual circumstances, it's the wider population the Government had to protect, as well as the health system. And no health system is ready to cope with a once in 100 year event like Covid.

What would have been the sacrifice if we had let Covid become rampant? Hospitals overloaded just like other countries who didn't take severe measures quick enough.

We have one of the lowest debt ratios in the OECD and yet we act like we can't afford basic humane funding.

Sure cut back on the bloated bureaucracy that Labour created but we are hardly in dire straits from a Government debt perspective.
    Last edited by Daytr; 31-03-2024 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Once you stop comments like the one highlighted above, you have more chance of being taken seriously. A majority of the population saw through that sort of BS 3 years ago and moved on.
    Iceman, the day I get taken seriously by you will be the day I question myself thoroughly. I don't expect to be taken seriously by the likes of you & I don't look for admiration or pats on the back, it sounds like something that's important to you, not me.
    Would I be correct in assuming you are an ACT supporter? Or the me first & @#$% the rest party. Forgive me if I have got that wrong, NZF?

Actually a little over 3 years ago Labour got elected in a landslide, the first party to win an outright majority since MMP again.
    Labour managed the spread of Covid very well and NZ has one of the best responses globally.

The real issues came when transitioning out of crisis mode as people were over it, we had vaccines if only we had all taken them, and the rest of the world was moving on. Labour were far too slow to change gears, some of that was due to the global demand for vaccines & as NZ wasn't suffering yhe same fatalities as other parts of the world we weren't a priority.

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    Short term sacrifices my arse.

NZers on the bottom rung will be feeling the repercussions of the economic impacts to the endless lockdowns for many years to come. That will have its own problems with crime, domestic violence, drug and alcohol abuse.

But let’s also not forget how many people were not able to say goodbye properly to dying loved ones. Those poor souls were ‘lucky’ to get a Zoom call and then had to die on their own with strangers.

Short term sacrifices? “You people” really are the most wicked.
    What endless lockdowns? Seriously?
    People in Europe, parts of Australia, the UK and many other places had much, much longer lockdowns than we did.

Yes some paid a higher price than others, would you rather that a hell of a lot more people paid the ultimatethat price as well by having deaths enmasse such as happened overseas?

It was an event that hadn't occurred in a 100 years. It was a global event that overloaded hospitals overseas. Did Labour get everything right? Of course not, but they did save thousands of lives.
    Last edited by Daytr; 31-03-2024 at 02:45 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post

NZ is recognized as having one of the best responses to the pandemic globally. So much so other places like Australia copied what we were doing. Remember Melbourne and what they went through before they got tough? New York? Italy?

We had some of the shortest lockdowns compared to most Western countries as well.
    Hard as it was for some people and individual circumstances, it's the wider population the Government had to protect, as well as the health system. And no health system is ready to cope with a once in 100 year event like Covid.

What would have been the sacrifice if we had let Covid become rampant? Hospitals overloaded just like other countries who didn't take severe measures quick enough.….
    The response could be separated into initial pandemic, and latter pandemic, health and economic. So basically four separate aspects. While the initial health response was internationally commended, it seems flippant to dismiss the sacrifices requested to be of short term significance. The result of the economic response has had long term ramifications too.

Obviously whichever party had been in power during the pandemic would have suffered blowback from the consequences of having to make speedy and difficult decisions deeply affecting lives. Fwiw, I think we had the right party in government during the initial health response part of the pandemic. To an extent as the pandemic spread around the World we did have time to learn from others’ experiences.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 31-03-2024 at 03:11 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    Can’t argue with that. I think Brisbane would be an awesome place to live for the balance between opportunity and lifestyle. My wife can’t handle the heat though, so that’s the end of that! Ha!
    Melbourne and Sydney are real powerhouses for the australian finance sector.

You would think NZ would be with our "free market, low tax and minimal regulation" credentials. Though Auckland is still a run-down back office.
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 31-03-2024 at 06:38 PM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    Melbourne and Sydney are real powerhouses for the finance sector.

You would think we would be with the "free market, low tax and minimal regulation" aspect. Though Auckland is a run-down back office.

Cripes - was Argentina a major memory loss moment in the land of the Panda then ?

Guru

We'll be on that track once the inflationary tax cuts come though.

Maybe not argentina but a credit downgrade is on the cards for little old NZ.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    We'll be on that track once the inflationary tax cuts come though.

Maybe not argentina but a credit downgrade is on the cards for little old NZ.
    I suspect the tax cuts will be smaller than what they campaigned on.

They (politically) have to deliver something now.

But they are still in the phase as a new govt where they can blame Labour for everything. So Nicola will announce a modest tax cut I think with a spiel about how things were far worse than her worst nightmare due to the legacy or labour etc.

And she will be right.

And life will go on. I don't think we will have to worry about being like Zimbabwe any time soon.