sharetrader
Page 271 of 320 FirstFirst ... 171221261267268269270271272273274275281 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,710 of 3192

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    It is possible to get rid of 'bad' tenants now!
    Yes we need more affordable housing - that is the issue, not more landlords or rental housing.
    Dobby you must realise that not everyone who doesn't own their own home is someone who is missing out right?
    There's always a need for rental accomodation for a variety of reasons, by vilifying private landlords all it's done is make things worse.

I agree that making EXCESSIVE profits (taxed or not) is immoral. Funnily enough nobody is saying we should get rid of supermarkets.
    If any intervention should come from central government it should incentivise people to invest elsewhere rather than turn off the tap.

HO_Proportion.png

Also what the chart doesn't show is the type/quality of housing owned. Homes are shrinking in size, both in floor and land area.
    Too much focus on runs on the board, not enough focus on QUALITY outcomes.
    Last edited by thegreatestben; 22-04-2024 at 04:47 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatestben View Post
    Dobby you must realise that not everyone who doesn't own their own home is someone who is missing out right?
    There's always a need for rental accomodation for a variety of reasons, by vilifying private landlords all it's done is make things worse.
    I agree that there will always be a need for rental accommodation for various reasons but the solution to the housing problem isn't making more rental housing available - it is making more housing available.
    Most rental housing is just rearranged existing houses (rearranged ownership) rather than increasing the supply of houses. Therefore renters who could get a house are often outbid by the landlords.

I agree that there will always be a need for rental accommodation for various reasons but the solution to the housing problem isn't making more rental housing available - it is making more housing available.
    Most rental housing is just rearranged existing houses (rearranged ownership) rather than increasing the supply of houses. Therefore renters who could get a house are often outbid by the landlords.
    Yup sure but again landlords aren't to blame. Focussing on supply would solve the issue, unfortunately there's too much focus on who should be buying them. Just flood the market with supply but they better make sure the long term outcomes of the type of housing being built doesn't just create the next crisis.

My prediction is - Turns out 1 & 2 bedroom <60sqm townhouses are **** for social outcomes, also especially when they are built shoddily.

Guru

Yup sure but again landlords aren't to blame. Focussing on supply would solve the issue, unfortunately there's too much focus on who should be buying them. Just flood the market with supply but they better make sure the long term outcomes of the type of housing being built doesn't just create the next crisis.

My prediction is - Turns out 1 & 2 bedroom <60sqm townhouses are **** for social outcomes, also especially when they are built shoddily.
    We need a mix of housing. Many if not most of the houses being built in SE Auckland are 4 or 3 bed houses. Big houses on small sections with narrow roads and no laneways. Some 2 bed terraces being built as well now on the main roads.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 22-04-2024 at 05:41 PM.

Guru

Be my guest - flood the market because no one else is.

I agree that landlords aren't to blame but they aren't the solution either (unless the build new).

Yes we need more affordable housing - that is the issue, not more landlords or rental housing.
    I agree wholeheartedly. However, we live in a entrepreneurial world and until the risks and costs of owning land and property outweigh the potential yield and capital gain (risk/reward) then as entrepreneurs we will figure its a good investment. We also invest when the odds are in our favour and with the rules in nz improving those odds you would be mad not to, personal morality notwithstanding. We can and should be good landlords as thats generally good business, and being a good person

I agree that landlords aren't to blame but they aren't the solution either (unless the build new).
    I did build new, I also preserved the old house by relocating it on site, an 80 year old statehouse which I happily occupy and is in my opinion a superior house to the new ones I had built.

My point is you are going around making huge generalisations and you should probably think about what you are saying a bit more.

Private landlords can contribute to fixing problems - Kainga Ora isn't a shining beacon of a compliant high performing landlord/developer.
    I've essentially done a built to rent development but I don't qualify for that officially as I've only built 2 homes and I think the minimum is 15 units? If more unofficial BTR developers like me were adding to supply of new build quality rentals it only makes lower quality older houses less and less valuable as rental stock.

I could go on and on with ways to pick apart your argument but I'm probably wasting my time.

Guru

I did build new, I also preserved the old house by relocating it on site, an 80 year old statehouse which I happily occupy and is in my opinion a superior house to the new ones I had built.

My point is you are going around making huge generalisations and you should probably think about what you are saying a bit more.
    All dees broke niggaz on here with no experience talkin’ bout how dey goin fix da housing market.

LOLLLLL!!!!

Your heroine Cindy was going to flood the market by building 100,000 Kiwibuild homes, remember? And Kainga Ora added 200% more staff by the thousands & spent billions of dollars (debt up by over $10 billion) towards that utopia.

What happened?
    Last edited by Balance; 22-04-2024 at 08:13 PM.

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Your heroine Cindy was going to flood the market by building 100,000 Kiwibuild homes, remember? And Kainga Ora added 200% more staff by the thousands & spent billions of dollars (debt up by over $10 billion) towards that utopia.

What happened?
    FarQ'all really, except they used their government money advantage to dominate the property build sector and force out the private developers and builders! Talk to the property developers who were screwed by KO, buying property, developing property. It hasn't stopped, yet, the pain for the private sector continues. KO is a travesty, a blight on NZ kiwi homes property development, pitting themselves and big government money against the private sector who actually can build and develop property.