sharetrader
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: 2023 Returns

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RupertBear View Post
    I have read every post Winner has made for many years

How is this not a personal attack??

The reason I deride you is for your constant crying and immature posts on OCA thread where you make childish comments in reply to many incredible posts. You contribute absolutely nothing but scoff at anyone who has anything positive to say. You are clearly a massive bag holder and for someone who doesn't care about returns as they have so much money it doesn't add up... You also constantly post ridiculous things about the macroeconomic future that you are desperately trying to predict, but you have so much money you dont even bother to measure if you are going forwards or backwards...
    It is an explanation for my behaviour and an observation of 'winners'.

It's just bloody ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by RupertBear View Post
    I have read every post Winner has made for many years

How is this not a personal attack??

The reason I deride you is for your constant crying and immature posts on OCA thread where you make childish comments in reply to many incredible posts. You contribute absolutely nothing but scoff at anyone who has anything positive to say. You are clearly a massive bag holder and for someone who doesn't care about returns as they have so much money it doesn't add up... You also constantly post ridiculous things about the macroeconomic future that you are desperately trying to predict, but you have so much money you dont even bother to measure if you are going forwards or backwards...
    And then there is this.

"The love of money is what drives innovation and productivity. While it can sometimes lead to 'evil' more generally as Adam Smith taught us all in 1776, it is the individuals self interest and love for money that creates all wealth. Someones love for money drove them and others to develop the technology that allows a woman in her 80's to be gardening a week after a major knee operation where in the 70's she would have been crippled for the rest of her life. Every single thing you enjoy in your standard of living was due to someone's self interested love for money."

What a sad and skewed outlook. Most innovation isn't driven by money, its driven by passion, pride, the aspiration to achieve and help others etc.
    Do you think Galileo was driven by money? Einstein, Newton, Steve Jobs? Elon Musk?

Sure, ideas get monetized, however the pure love of money can also stifle innovation as if it's not profitable then in that narrow lense it's not worth it.
    This is one of the problems with corporate medical research, it looks towards what's profitable not necessarily what is ethical.

Interesting that you invite & to be fair, beg people to join your new thread then you ridicule what some of them say.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

On the doghouse

I finish the year in the stock picking competition in the 'James Bond' position of 007. That is my best performance for a while, although to some extent a one year performance is not relevant to a multi year strategy. My real secret is to run a defensive strategy all the time to avoid negative draw-down. Not by charts, but by careful stock selection in the first place. This means I tend to underperform the market in good years by a couple of percentage points, but out perform in bad years. I see the NZX50 was up 1.28% over 2023 compared to my 17.75%. So at worst that kind of 'one off outperformance return' should keep me ahead of the markets for the next 8 years or so, even if I do nothing with my portfolio. That return does not include fixed interest which currently makes up about 20% of my total NZ portfolio

My actual NZX return was a bit less than 17.75%, because the competition entry is only over five shares which I try to choose as representative of the 12 I actually own. For example I own a residual 'free carry' holding in Restaurant Brands' that had a shocker of a year. But I haven't included Restaurant Brands' as a competition entry for a while, even when I made my biggest ever sharemarket investment profit a few years ago in teh partial takeover. So my competition return is 'swings and roundabouts' and over a multiyear time horizon compounds fairly accurately. I can't be bothered calculating my actual return on a portfolio basis. My attitude being if I look after the eggs, the 'basket' will take care of itself.

'Shaken not stirred' is probably a fair reflection of CY2023. But I am hoping for another rough year over CY2024 for most people. That will suit my own investment style just fine.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 03-01-2024 at 11:34 AM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

@Snoopy 17.75 per cent - outstanding!

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdn View Post
    @Snoopy 17.75 per cent - outstanding!
    Yes but for the CY2022 year my portfolio change in value portfolio multiplier was 0.9088, which meant I lost nearly 10%. So despite finishing 30th in the CY2022 competition, the two yearly growth figure is not so flash!

SNOOPY
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    And then there is this.

"The love of money is what drives innovation and productivity. While it can sometimes lead to 'evil' more generally as Adam Smith taught us all in 1776, it is the individuals self interest and love for money that creates all wealth. Someones love for money drove them and others to develop the technology that allows a woman in her 80's to be gardening a week after a major knee operation where in the 70's she would have been crippled for the rest of her life. Every single thing you enjoy in your standard of living was due to someone's self interested love for money."

What a sad and skewed outlook. Most innovation isn't driven by money, its driven by passion, pride, the aspiration to achieve and help others etc.
    Do you think Galileo was driven by money? Einstein, Newton, Steve Jobs? Elon Musk?

Sure, ideas get monetized, however the pure love of money can also stifle innovation as if it's not profitable then in that narrow lense it's not worth it.
    This is one of the problems with corporate medical research, it looks towards what's profitable not necessarily what is ethical.

Interesting that you invite & to be fair, beg people to join your new thread then you ridicule what some of them say.
    No surprise that you lack understanding of the basics of how the entire economic system works and have an unhealthy penchant for communism.

Not to mention another person who has so much money they have the slightest clue what their returns are but they're enjoying life instead.

I'll wait for ValueNZ to school you.

If it's driven by passion and pride and wanting to help, then why does your economic system lead to death and despair instead?

Never have I seen Adam Smith described as sad and skewed before.
    Last edited by SailorRob; 03-01-2024 at 12:55 PM.

Guru

And then there is this.

Yes I an guilty of BEGGING people to join this thread.

I have even offered money to people.

I'm considering offering lap dances like X men too.

Guru

Remember nobody serious has any interest whatsoever in anyone's equity portfolio when they are crapping themselves in fixed income.

It's what your return was overall that matters.

The index return was some 26%.

Unless you're very old or stupid or both don't hold debt.

Quote Originally Posted by SailorRob View Post
    No surprise that you lack understanding of the basics of how the entire economic system works and have an unhealthy penchant for communism.

Not to mention another person who has so much money they have the slightest clue what their returns are but they're enjoying life instead.

I'll wait for ValueNZ to school you.

If it's driven by passion and pride and wanting to help, then why does your economic system lead to death and despair instead?

Never have I seen Adam Smith described as sad and skewed before.
    Here we go again. I'm the only communist who trades international markets. Feeble argument.

You confuse altruism with communism.
    There are a lot of things you have never seen or experienced but it doesn't stop you commenting on them and it was Adam Smith I wasn't calling sad.
    Last edited by Daytr; 03-01-2024 at 01:29 PM.

Guru

Here we go again. I'm the only communist who trades international markets. Feeble argument.

You confuse altruism with communism.
    There are a lot of things you have never seen or experienced but it doesn't stop you commenting on them and it was Adam Smith I was calling sad.
    Ok I commend you for admitting that it was Adam you were calling sad. That's a big call but you're entitled to it.

I've never experienced losing a teste but I feel able to comment on it.