Quote Originally Posted by whatsup View Post
B S , What you say this is simply not true, if you add to the unemployment ranks, the people who are on a Job seeker benefit , sickness benefit you would get closer to 8-10% true unemployment, a family member has been on a jobseeker benefit for two years now , does not have to apply for jobs and has been given another year to find a interview let alone a job, discusting but that the Labour dogma, dont hurt the unemployeds feelings or they might have a break down !!
I too have a family member who has been on JobSeeker support for years now.

Absolutely no conditions on the benefit from what I can tell. He has just started applying for some jobs now because he can see what is about to hit him with the changes the new govt are bringing in.

But before that he literally sat on his arse all day, smoking pot, reading books and playing PlayStation with zero pressure from WINZ to get off his arse and prove that he is trying his best to get a job.

As Luxon says, if you are on the Unemployment or JobSeeker benefit... your job is to get a job.

I know all of the Defenders of the last govt have no shortage of excuses and examples of people who are hard done by... but the reality of human nature is if you hand out benefits with no restrictions/requirements... there is a cohort of the population who will prefer to sit at home doing nothing. Even though it hurts them in the long run.