sharetrader

Threaded View

Legend

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/northern-...I6EEHHIMTGOBA/

Kaipara pensioners risk having to sell homes due to rates hike - community leader

Kaipara pensioners may have to look at selling their homes if the council’s proposed 18.3 per cent rates rise goes ahead, community leader and long-time council watcher Dot Gorrie says.

Kaipara District Council (KDC) proposed rates are, at present, the highest for Northland for 2024/2025.

Mamaranui’s Gorrie said the council’s record rates rise would risk pensioners having to look “pretty seriously” at whether they could stay in their homes.

Pensioners, who were on fixed incomes, could have to look at downsizing to a more affordable property, she said.

The council watcher of almost 30 years described KDC’s early-stage proposed rates rise as scary.

“I’m shocked, thank goodness I am sitting down,” Gorrie said when told the figures by Local Democracy Reporting Northland.

“For people on a fixed income, it’s getting beyond a joke.”

She said it was getting to the stage where people could not afford to pay their rates.

Absolutely disgusting state of Affairs coming out of this Northland Council's rate hikes and this will be only the tip of the iceberg on those unable to afford annually hiked up rates - bound to be a lot more - not just pensioners in a similar position.
    Last edited by nztx; 17-03-2024 at 07:15 PM.