sharetrader
Page 161 of 341 FirstFirst ... 61111151157158159160161162163164165171211261 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,610 of 3409

Thread: IFT - Infratil

Divorced from logic Hectorplains's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Excuse my ignorance ... what does ACOR stand for?
    I assume it's a typo - should be ACOT / ACOD - Actual cost of transmission / ... distribution.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Hectorplains View Post
    I assume it's a typo - should be ACOT / ACOD - Actual cost of transmission / ... distribution.
    Avoided cost of transmission??
    If you link direct into the local distribution network, then you don't have to pay the transpower transmission charge.

Missed by that much

Quote Originally Posted by horus1 View Post
    The trouble with trustpower is the Electricity Authority, a regulator, has announced it is getting Transpower to stop Distributors paying ACOR to distributed generators. That will cost Trustpower in the order of !5-20M a year . It is a very bad decision and trustpower went to court over it and lost. The EA is a disaster on regulation.
    It is a very good decision for the industry as a whole. Embedded generators don't get hit with line loss rentals, Transmission spring washer effects, or many other costs that Grid connected generators get hit with. So why should embedded generators receive refunds from the NZEM for overcharging that they have not paid in the first place?

The reason is that they avoid the need for new transmission. In the past there was an appreciation of the need to consider the total cost to the customer of electricity where as now it is all about how do we price gouge for the generators benefit. the latest proposals by the EA are a prime example of this.That is why customers are leaving the networks and/or installing solar as a first step to leaving .You shouldnote that the new solex batteries stay on when grid power is disconnected.
    that is a huge risk for all the electricity industry,including Trustpower.
    Last edited by horus1; 17-12-2016 at 04:24 PM.

The reason is that they avoid the need for new transmission. In the past there was an appreciation of the need to consider the total cost to the customer of electricity where as now it is all about how do we price gouge for the generators benefit. the latest proposals by the EA are a prime example of this.That is why customers are leaving the networks and/or installing solar as a first step to leaving .You shouldnote that the new solex batteries stay on when grid power is disconnected.
    that is a huge risk for all the electricity industry,including Trustpower.
    Hi horus, I realise that you have an axe to grind ... and apparently invested in a solar system hoping for eternal subsidies by the rest of us. However - if you feel that it is unfair that the system does not subsidise you as you would have wished, than I am not sure whether this is the right thread to discuss.

Re your continuous dark warnings about the future of the electricity industry ... I haven't yet seen customers disconnecting from the net in flocks ... and as long as people need most of their power on a cold dark winters night am I not too concerned about some people installing solar panels. Important is just that everybody who uses the network does pay their fair share for putting peak load on the network (i.e. when solar panels do absolutely nothing and everybody else needs power as well).

Personally would I expect the electricity industry to change ... and yes, decentral regeneratives might take a bit of the load. On the other hand - electric vehicles are likely to push electricity demand up. Change to come, not extinction .

Back to IFT ... yes, loosing the court battle for TPW probably does not help the SP development, but I think that overall the market is just realising the IFT party is over (nothing to sell, retirement villages down, gentailers down, increased perception of risk for Wellington airport). The split of TPW and however the new green company is called didn't seem to have helped either (both are dropping). Good time to watch the SP development from the sidelines ...
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Hi horus, I realise that you have an axe to grind ... and apparently invested in a solar system hoping for eternal subsidies by the rest of us. However - if you feel that it is unfair that the system does not subsidise you as you would have wished, than I am not sure whether this is the right thread to discuss.

Re your continuous dark warnings about the future of the electricity industry ... I haven't yet seen customers disconnecting from the net in flocks ... and as long as people need most of their power on a cold dark winters night am I not too concerned about some people installing solar panels. Important is just that everybody who uses the network does pay their fair share for putting peak load on the network (i.e. when solar panels do absolutely nothing and everybody else needs power as well).

Personally would I expect the electricity industry to change ... and yes, decentral regeneratives might take a bit of the load. On the other hand - electric vehicles are likely to push electricity demand up. Change to come, not extinction .
    Well said BP.

Sorry. I'll come back when the results justify me.

Sorry. I'll come back when the results justify me.
    I'd say please stick around

Its a very interesting question about future shape of energy infrastructure and supply demand.

Ultimately it makes sense for all concerned to remain connected to the grid for purposes of redundancy and scale. We should reach some parity whereby lines companies don't force solar customers off gird through arrogance, but also where solar is not built uneconomically.

There will be a bit of to and fro till we reach that point.

Looks like IFT is on the slow climb back up!

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijay View Post
    Looks like IFT is on the slow climb back up!
    not even close ... technically still in a beautiful and uninterrupted downtrend. Ways beyond MA200, just scratched MA50 - and not even higher highs.

Sure - any trend change starts with a very weak signal (i.e. you never know), but this does not mean that every weak signal (touching of MA50 in a downtrend) means a trend change.

if you just look at the IFT fundamentals (like forward PE) - why would you think the fundamentals would justify a rising SP? If you look at IFT as investment fund (which it is) ... given its rather weak forward performance in a time of rising interest rates - why would you think that people want to buy into a forward PE of lousy 35 (equivalent to 3% return)? If you buy some of the IFT bonds you get twice the return ...

Don't get me wrong - I am sure there will be at some stage again a reason to buy into IFT, but I don't think it is now.

Discl: Don't hold (but some IFT bonds); Obviously - DYOR;
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)