sharetrader
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I have never been able to understand houses with internal gutterings

What I cant understand is how you can ever build a house with internal gutterings and not expect that one day , sooner or later , that the guttering will leak --- and where does the water go ? Not outside , but down inside the wall where it must get trapped because of all this modern stuff that doesnt allow the cavity to breathe --- result , a damp mouldy house and rotting timbers, especially in the area of the inside of the external walls
    Is my thinking on this correct ? It seems pretty straight foward and logical to me
    Regardless I would never buy a house with internal gutterings

As others have mentioned , the old houses with adequate eaves and walls that can breathe cope remarkably well

I am not a builder but in my humble opinion changing the old tried and true methods , for whatever reason , has been the major contributor to the current problems

Time is the great revealer

Just finishing some repairs & mtce on a 3 year old "Rockcote" style home.
    Corners not wrapped with fabric and now cracking at northern aspect. Painted in "low reflective value" dark colour has caused this.
    Polystyrene decorative trim not covered in resin and birds have pecked holes in it. All decorative mouldings opening up as Poly straight edges haven't been fastened together - just loose butted and painted over.
    Gutters brimming over with leaves etc - 60kg debris removed. Industry standard is minimum 50mm gap between roof edge and gutter not complied with so v/hard to clean..
    Some butynol laps not glued down.
    Naturally all signed off and Producer Statement hunky-dory.

Plenty of work for me - thanks MasterBuilders.

I sure hope that you found no major LEAKS or ROT during your investigations...

Out of interest, how long does it take for a 'leaky building' to start rotting?
    Death will be reality, Life is just an illusion.

Advanced Member

STEVE,untreated wood that gets wet and cant breathe a very short time indeed. Trouble is it might only get wet on very rare occasions [the wind blowing in a certain direction]. The mastics and other sealers that are in common use are only gauranteed for a few years. If in doubt only buy a brick or weatherboard house all plaster exteriors avoid if you dont know what to look for. The master builders have been giving awards to those disasters for years. macdunk
    PS about to change the rules again at the end of march be warned

macDunk - I had a good yarn with Robin Barnes the chemist at Fosroc today. I'm pretty fussy about what I squirt into other peoples' holes now.[:I][:o)]

Duncan,
    Have you ever considered that the very reason that you can make so much money in Real Estate is one of the leading causes of leaky buildings

In NZ we have plenty of land relative to the size of the population, yet our elected (and unelected) officials squeeze more and more people closer and closer together in urban areas, downsizing minimum building site sizes regularly.

The positive results for property investors - scarcity of development land, high density infill housing, low home affordabilty -ie high and rising prices.

Architects have responded to the challenge of building large homes on small sites while still complying with recession plane regulations (for best profit margins, and the sheer challenge in some cases no doubt)have designed houses with box windows, no eaves and internal gutters and decks - the prime cause of leaky buildings.

Advanced Member

Selling your house is going to place the vendor in a position that they cannot in all honesty sign in most cases. Under the latest terms of sale the clauses read.
    A. THE VENDOR HAS FULLY COMPLIED WITH ANY REQUIREMENTS SPECIFIED IN ANY COMPLIANCE SCHEDULE ISSUED BY A TERRITORIAL AUTHORITY UNDER THE BUILDING ACT IN RESPECT OF THE BUILDING.

B THE BUILDING HAS A CURRENT WARRANT OF FITNESS UNDER THE BUILDING ACT.

C THE VENDOR IS NOT AWARE OF ANY REASON, THAT THE VENDOR HAS NOT DISCLOSED IN WRITING TO THE PURCHASER, WHICH WOULD PREVENT A BUILDING WARRANT OF FITNESS COMPLYING WITH THE BUILDING ACT FROM BEING SUPPLIED TO THE TERRITORIAL AUTHORITY WHEN THE THE BUILDING WARRANT OF FITNESS IS DUE.

D THE TERRITORIAL AUTHORITY HAS NOT ISSUED ANY NOTICE UNDER THE BUILDING ACT TO THE VENDOR OR ANY AGENT OF THE VENDOR WHICH HAS NOT BEEN REMEDID BY THE VENDOR, AND THE VENDOR IS NOT AWARE OF ANY REASON, THAT THE VENDOR THAT THE VENDOR HAS NOT DISCLOSED IN WRITING TO THE PURCHASER, WHICH COULD ENTITLE THE TERRITORIAL AUTHORITY TO ISSUE SUCH NOTICE.

lots of trouble ready to boil over soon with that lot. macdunk

Duncan can you post reference for this Please

Advanced Member

ENIGMA, The clauses that i quoted are now the standard additional clauses to a home sale contract on any mreinz contract. What i inferred was that a vendor now cannot in all honesty sign as a truthfull document, and this will lead to problems further down the track. macdunk

Duncan was this clause mandated or what made them insert this. I am looking to purchase a house in NZ for retirement within the next two years so imformation like this would be much appreciated thanks.