sharetrader
Page 139 of 240 FirstFirst ... 3989129135136137138139140141142143149189239 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,390 of 2400

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    There can be a big difference between perception and reality.You have stated common knowledge and suggested I have answered my own question.
    Looking at wholesale power prices this morning they are exceptionally high and likely to continue until the spring thaw.
    Contact actually has most of its generation capacity in the North Islnd where it has most of its customers so is investor perception out of line with future profits-if so this is a cheap buy.
    My thinking could be biased by the fact CEN is my biggest investment
    I have CEN and GNE. I don't know what's a cheap buy and what isn't. I find these daily reports below fascinating, however. Genesis seems to be doing an extraordinary amount of heavy lifting at the moment. On some days Huntly alone is out producing, for example, the combined production of Manapouri (Meridian), Clyde (Contact) and all the windpower produced in New Zealand (what a shame NZ didn't set up a couple more thermal plants, they're cheap as chips to build and our overall electricity prices would be substantially lower).

Anyway, I don't know what this means for Contact or Genesis but I guess someone is buying a lot of production from Genesis. As a buy and hold investor none of this influences my position and I don't have any understanding (or am trying to get a serious understanding) of what this means in any meaningful sense. It just makes interesting reading and is fun to look at.

https://www.energylink.co.nz/sites/d...05_Interim.pdf

https://www.energylink.co.nz/

Today is just another day in thermal generation heaven. The Rankine units are still running 24/7; electricity is still being sent south; wind is making next to no contribution.
    Last edited by Bobdn; 08-07-2017 at 12:27 PM.

"what a shame NZ didn't set up a couple more thermal plants, they're cheap as chips to build and our overall electricity prices would be substantially lower"

"As a buy and hold investor none of this influences my position…"

Err…This seems very short term thinking!
    Just look what happened to Origin Energy's investment in Gas in Western Australia a couple of years ago? Underwater assets etc!?

Quote Originally Posted by huxley View Post
    "what a shame NZ didn't set up a couple more thermal plants, they're cheap as chips to build and our overall electricity prices would be substantially lower"

"As a buy and hold investor none of this influences my position…"

Err…This seems very short term thinking!
    Just look what happened to Origin Energy's investment in Gas in Western Australia a couple of years ago? Underwater assets etc!?
    Yes, true I'm not completely passive but if I had kept Microsoft and Apple (small holdings) and even little old Trademe, and not sold them like I did, I would be doing a little better than I'm doing now So now I just tend to keep everything out of FOMO! I guess what I'm trying to say is, a dry winter here and high rainfall there doesn't make me want to sell or buy. I'm spread pretty far and wide with my investments and should one not do so well, oh well.
    Last edited by Bobdn; 08-07-2017 at 05:54 PM. Reason: fomo (not foma:)

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdn View Post
    Yes, true I'm not completely passive but if I had kept Microsoft and Apple (small holdings) and even little old Trademe, and not sold them like I did, I would be doing a little better than I'm doing now So now I just tend to keep everything out of FOMO! I guess what I'm trying to say is, a dry winter here and high rainfall there doesn't make me want to sell or buy. I'm spread pretty far and wide with my investments and should one not do so well, oh well.
    Hindsight is wonderful but what is better is that you are content and happy with your holdings because you have diversified.
    I probably trade too much-i buy with the intention of holding long-term for the dividend but when i feel a stock is overvalued by the market cant resist taking profits Hence sold out of Gen and bought mercury and added afew more CEN.I do have doubts about the future of gen and thermal

I think all 3 should be doing well and the high winter prices are important for short-term good results but also partcularly as it should raise the futures

I think Contact Energy's Whirinaki Power Station was fired up today. Burns diesel/oil. Pricey to run.

"Following national power shortages in 2001 and 2003 due to low hydro lake levels, the New Zealand government commissioned Contact Energy to build reserve generation on the Whirinaki site. This plant was intended to be a generator of last resort, providing back up generation when needed, usually during years of low hydro lake levels, but also when there was a shortfall in generation reserves on the electricity market, such as after the failure of a major power station or the HVDC Inter-Island link. The power station cost $150 million and was opened in June 2004." Wikipedia

https://www.transpower.co.nz/power-system-live-data

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whirinaki_Power_Station

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdn View Post
    I think Contact Energy's Whirinaki Power Station was fired up today. Burns diesel/oil. Pricey to run.
    At midnight last night the needle on flow south gauge for the inter-island HVDC link was hard over on the red.

If you are a South Islander with standby generation it may pay to get your calculator out then give these guys a call;

https://www.transpower.co.nz/keeping...emand-response

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn

PS. Spot price now at Otahuhu $258 Mw/h
    Last edited by Marilyn Munroe; 13-07-2017 at 09:42 AM. Reason: added PS
    Diamonds are a girls best friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Munroe View Post
    Boop boop de do
    Marilyn

PS. Spot price now at Otahuhu $258 Mw/h
    how about $609.86 at 11:45 (and some SI places near $800

Attachment 8990

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sideline View Post
    how about $609.86 at 11:45 (and some SI places near $800

Attachment 8990
    800 accross the board now and looking to get into the $1000's

not sure how to put the dashboard in here...

https://www1.electricityinfo.co.nz/

Whirinaki is running at full tilt now. Right at this moment, the supply of electricity is being held together by coal, gas and oil.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    800 accross the board now and looking to get into the $1000's

not sure how to put the dashboard in here...
    over $1000 in some SI places.

for including screens I
    1) maximize the window with the info
    2) then push prtScreen
    3) save screen to disk
    4) insert image just saved in post