sharetrader
Page 237 of 240 FirstFirst ... 137187227233234235236237238239240 LastLast
Results 2,361 to 2,370 of 2400
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Leopard View Post
    OK, I am calling it. You are a complete ignoramus.

Follow the link [to the IRD website!] I provided and read it

Mr Leopard -- Inland Revenue even call the Withholding Tax "DWT - Dividend Withholding Tax" when
    it is paid across to them too

The only tax they dont have facility for payment of is the mysterious "Complete Ignoramus Tax"
    but who knows - it could be a tax spinner .. maybe they might like you to paint some spots on this one
    Last edited by nztx; 14-02-2023 at 09:13 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by nztx View Post
    Mr Leopard -- Inland Revenue even call the Withholding Tax "DWT - Dividend Withholding Tax" when
    it is paid across to them too

The only tax they dont have facility for payment of is the mysterious "Complete Ignoramus Tax"
    but who knows - it could be a tax spinner .. maybe they might like you to paint some spots on this one

Straight from their website.

Dividend Payments

The RWT rate for dividend payments is 33%. The company paying the dividend will deduct this RWT before making the dividend payment to you.

You are only being a dickhead.

The IRD probably call the withholding tax on interest as IWT as well.

It makes no difference but your challenging of Snow Leopard is unnecessary. Childish in fact.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    Straight from their website.

Dividend Payments

The RWT rate for dividend payments is 33%. The company paying the dividend will deduct this RWT before making the dividend payment to you.

You are only being a dickhead.

The IRD probably call the withholding tax on interest as IWT as well.

It makes no difference but your challenging of Snow Leopard is unnecessary. Childish in fact.
    https://www.ird.govt.nz/updates/news...etails-in-myir

Display of dividend income and dividend withholding tax (DWT) details fixed

We have now fixed the issues affecting how dividend income and DWT details display in myIR, the Income API and the income tax return pre-pop in gateway services.

Customers will now see the correct amount of Resident Withholding Tax (RWT) and imputation credits. Customers with joint accounts will also see the correct allocation of their share of the dividend income and DWT.

Some customers with joint accounts may still see an incorrect allocation of their investment income. This is because both of the joint account holders gave the same IRD number to the bank or financial institution. These customers will need to give their correct IRD number to the bank or other financial institution.

Advanced Member

Another div due in a few weeks and ex div just over one week away on 9/3/23.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by see weed View Post
    Another div due in a few weeks and ex div just over one week away on 9/3/23.
    Just another reminder for the div hunters, you have until 5pm today to buy in for the 14c div.

Advanced Member

Lake Onslow to cost $15.7bn (or in the words of a poster in the article below: "yeah right $15.7b x 2 more likely") and gov proceeding to next stage of feasibility planning

https://www.interest.co.nz/public-po...d-hydro-scheme

Quote Originally Posted by Fiordland Moose View Post
    Lake Onslow to cost $15.7bn (or in the words of a poster in the article below: "yeah right $15.7b x 2 more likely") and gov proceeding to next stage of feasibility planning

Think BIG project. 15.7 bn are a bit more than $3000 per head of population in NZ, and with the inevitable cost rises at least $5000 ... $ 6000 per head. Given that many (like children, beneficiaries and many super annuitants) contribute less than they pay is this in average more than $ 10.000 per net taxpayer. Think about how long you need to work extra to fund your contribution (be it as taxpayer or as electricity user)

Will take an eternity to get the money back if everything goes well (but how likely is this?) and lots of money burnt if the big one in the Southern Alps destroys this next Think Big project.

Looks like we haven't learned from Muldoon ... and I thought he might have been good for something. Apparently not.

Ah well, its just money and maybe some more flooded houses, how bad can it be? Lets do it ...
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 16-03-2023 at 05:33 PM.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

DFABPCLMB

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Looks like we haven't learned from Muldoon ... and I thought he might have been good for something. Apparently not.
    Can you explain BP? I have heard commentary lately that says we have a lot to thank Muldoon for with the Think Big Projects. I am genuinely curious to hear the other side of this. I presume you are referring to the Think Big projects...?

I don't see borrowing to invest in energy infrastructure and capacity as a bad thing*, where the benefits accrue over many years or decades. Maybe the subsequent inflationary aspect wasn't handled so well.....I don't know enough about it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Think_Big

*I should qualify this where the business case stacks up.
    Last edited by Ferg; 16-03-2023 at 07:41 PM. Reason: added more

Quote Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
    Can you explain BP? I have heard commentary lately that says we have a lot to thank Muldoon for with the Think Big Projects. I am genuinely curious to hear the other side of this. I presume you are referring to the Think Big projects...?

I don't see borrowing to invest in energy infrastructure and capacity as a bad thing*, where the benefits accrue over many years or decades. Maybe the subsequent inflationary aspect wasn't handled so well.....I don't know enough about it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Think_Big

*I should qualify this where the business case stacks up.
    We well might be in agreement (given your added qualifier). Can't however remember too many think big projects where the business case did stack up. Can you?

The link you provided thankfully provides already the following summary:

New Zealand's economy suffered from the major investments made by the government. Investment incentives and macroeconomic ratios were heavily affected by the billions of dollars borrowed for the Think Big projects. On 27 September 1982, Muldoon introduced 'The Wage Freeze Regulations' that would freeze wages and prices on a national scale until 22 June 1983.[4] The policy had attempted to target inflation, but in turn reduced profitability for exporters unable to adapt prices.

Approval of Think Big, at least during and soon after the time of its implementation, tended to rely on party affiliations (with National Party supporters backing the projects, while Labour Party supporters initially opposed them).[citation needed] Think Big projects became synonymous with further inflation and industrial trouble. Richard Prebble said to the Labour Cabinet during the Māori loan affair: "Better to talk about the $7 billion that was borrowed (by Muldoon for Think Big) than about the $600 million that wasn’t."[5]
    Not a lot I would need to add ...

With Lake Onslow ... given the current price tag (which no doubt will keep rising given inflation, increasing standards, increasing costs in any big project and lots of to be expected resistance in the population), not to mention a number of significant risks (remember - the big one is already overdue) can I not see how anybody could justify this project.
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 17-03-2023 at 09:56 AM. Reason: added wikipedia quote
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by Fiordland Moose View Post

Should perhaps move to a general thread but.....I just cant get my head around this onslow thing. Thats a lot of money especially as most of our power is already a water battery.

Apart from likely doubling in price it assumes energy technology will be roughly the same in 2030 as now.

Surely it is cheaper to wind down the Tiwai smelter crowd, eventually using the existing Manapouri battery purely as reserve to buy time for ever improving technology e.g. tidal energy is making great progress overseas, ditto a radical storage experiment in some place (cant re-find the articles on those, darn it).

Also I imagine most will have a solar panel on the roof to charge the car by 2035 thus distributing the generating capability allowing our other mulitple dams to be as much backup as dominant.

Cant se all that costing $15-30bn altho perhaps I underestimate how many road cones and stop-go consultants will be required.