sharetrader
Page 343 of 2129 FirstFirst ... 2432933333393403413423433443453463473533934438431343 ... LastLast
Results 3,421 to 3,430 of 21281

Quote Originally Posted by Lost in space View Post
    Well I've bought tens of thousands today to add to my large stockpile at average cost of 77 cents. Now someone else's turn - come on boys!
    What's your logic Lostinspace?

Are you purchasing rights at $0.77 average and then exercising @$0.55 to give a head share cost of $1.31?

Can't be correct as you would just purchase heads far cheaper at market (currently $1.26).

Or are you stocking up on heads at market, adding to your previous holdings, giving an average entry-price of $0.77? In which case you must have picked up quite a few at $0.28 or thereabouts.
    warthog ... muddy and smelly

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    What's your logic Lostinspace?

Are you purchasing rights at $0.77 average and then exercising @$0.55 to give a head share cost of $1.31?

Can't be correct as you would just purchase heads far cheaper at market (currently $1.26).

Or are you stocking up on heads at market, adding to your previous holdings, giving an average entry-price of $0.77? In which case you must have picked up quite a few at $0.28 or thereabouts.

Have bough rights today when out of alignment with heads (such as buying rights @ 0.64, 0.66) and also buying heads. The 0.77 is my average cost for a large holding. Yip, been buying when the share seemed 'boring' and not flavour of month. Patience has been my master and slave dealing in stocks for many years. Patience is seriously underrated. I'm using patience on other stocks that in 2 - 3 years will pay off I believe.
    The irony is that often jonny-come-lately's come along and start brandishing words like 'hype' 'bubble'. I've got them on the XRO thread. But where were they when XRO was $0.90c, $1.20. I can remember being at a BBQ at Piha around 2008 and getting rubbished by my accountant friend lol for investing. I buy reasonably small amounts regularly and this results in a low average price and minimises risks. From time to time I get it wrong (Mr Market deals to me) but I cut losses and let profits run. A lot of investors do the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost in space View Post
    Have bough rights today when out of alignment with heads
    OK that's all the Hog wanted to know: that you're adding to an existing and $0.77 is your average entry across your entire holding.

Your accountant friend joins various other advisors who recommended against XRO when they were under a buck.

Discl: PEB, PEBRC, TME, MELCA.
    warthog ... muddy and smelly

Quote Originally Posted by Xerof View Post
    oh dear

as I said about an hour ago, the HIGH FREQUENCY TRADING automated robotic algorythm had just joined the party.

This technique is usually used to distribute or accumulate large volumes of shares without frightening the natives.

It leaves a footprint of hundreds of small trades, usually in clusters about every three minutes

Definitely NOT retail investors
    The Bot is definitely selling (on behalf of Insto's) and has been responsible for about half of today's volume by my count.

Interesting to see that there's still a decent influx of buyers which by the block sizes look to be retail to mid-level sophisticated investors. Hard to tell if there are any funds buying in.

Disc: sidelined.
    Last edited by Whipmoney; 08-11-2013 at 04:37 PM.

I am not familiar with 'The Bot', but I certainly noticed today lots of small parcels being traded -
    PEB: 147 to 628 volume…
    SUM: 156 ~ 6 times between 15:30 & 16:30
    WHS: 136 ~ 8 times between 15:30 & 16:30

I would be very interested to learn why.

Quote Originally Posted by garfy View Post
    I am not familiar with 'The Bot', but I certainly noticed today lots of small parcels being traded -
    PEB: 147 to 628 volume…
    SUM: 156 ~ 6 times between 15:30 & 16:30
    WHS: 136 ~ 8 times between 15:30 & 16:30

I would be very interested to learn why.
    Start here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algorithmic_trading

Others here might explain what is going with PEB today as a live example

I think its used today to cap the share price from flying before the market close. Why I don't know. Anyway its not HFT...keen to learn from others also

Quote Originally Posted by zymwh View Post
    I think its used today to cap the share price from flying before the market close. Why I don't know. Anyway its not HFT...keen to learn from others also
    If it's selling, wouldn't it be doing this to prevent the SP from going down rather than up?

So I think its not selling. Just to use his 200k or so shares to gently keep the price under 217c. Just my thought. If its selling I would expect some fake bids right? Not so sure. Will do more googling tonight

Quote Originally Posted by zymwh View Post
    So I think its not selling. Just to use his 200k or so shares to gently keep the price under 217c. Just my thought. If its selling I would expect some fake bids right? Not so sure. Will do more googling tonight
    It's definitely selling. All of the trades in the last few hours were conducted at market against the bid side blocks (1.26, 1.25, some 1.24), and despite fresh buyers joining in, the blocks were still being nibbled at. If it were a buyer then the ask that would have been getting eaten up.

Why were they selling? Well given they are using a bot it and trading in very small parcels (generally between a hundred and four hundred shares per trade) I would suspect they were looking to maximize their sell returns which suggests they are a clear seller looking for a clean and profitable exit.

I don't know enough about algorithmic trading to know if this is a short-term trader or long-term investor so it could be a big seller quietly exiting, or a short-term trading who will buy back in at a reduced price.

Time will tell....