sharetrader
Page 12 of 116 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast
    Legend

Pasted from the Crown Minerals site, research from Jackie Hobbins, Newmont's Project Geologist on 4th Sept:

Indications of gold deeper on margins of Waihi gold system
    — filed under: News, Minerals
    In a paper presented to the Queenstown conference of the New Zealand branch of AusIMM she says that consistencies in the geometry of known veins and controlling faults allow predictive inferences to be made about the likely location of new vein positions in untested areas.

Geochemical and paleotemperature zonation within the Waihi vein-hosted deposits appears to be subparallel to the stratigraphy. This suggests that both stratigraphy and ore horizons are draped over a central high.

“The influence of pre-existing fault geometry and volcanic stratigraphy on the location of known veins suggest that there is untested potential in the Waihi district for vein occurrences,” she says.
    “This is both at the margins of east-north-east trending extensional basins, analogous to Martha and for north to north-east trending veins such as Favona located in fractures that are concentric or tangential to the host volcanic edifice.”

She also says that some surprising results have also been produced from low-detection geochemical analysis of soils indicating strong anomalous gold and mercury signatures directly over known veins located beneath more than 40 m of postmineral ignimbrite. More work is required to assess potential for this method.

The current Favona undereground mine was discovered in 2001 under more than 50 m of postmineral cover.

She says the total gold endowment of the Waihi epithermal vein system is estimated to be in excess of 12 million ounces, including 7.5 million ounces mined to December 2008.

Sources: Newmont Waihi Gold and Lindsay Clark
    This work seems to line up with Glass Earth's findings that placer and auriferous soil geochemistry is often resting just above, or near to, major deposits.

GEL still has (JV) prospects substantially around the Martha Mine, EP40598, 3414 Ha for minerals, until 2013.

http://www.crownminerals.govt.nz/cms...ate/CMINPSMINL

-and I'm thinking we really should be hearing how the drilling is going soon. I wonder how the McAdie prospect placer work is going?
    Last edited by elZorro; 09-09-2009 at 11:00 AM. Reason: To add link for EP, found name of writer

Legend

Ophir is such a great name for a town..here's a local travel site giving some more details and images of the areas in Central Otago that we'll be hearing a lot more about in the near future (I hope). Has anyone been down there for a look lately? I'm thinking seriously about a trip to have a look, fitting it around some other things.

http://www.centralotagonz.com/Centra..._ID=1597_.html

Guru

Yeah went through there at Christmas. Luckily only blinked once - if blinked twice would have missed it!!

Bike the rail trail - goes through Omakau which is just the other side of the river.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    Yeah went through there at Christmas. Luckily only blinked once - if blinked twice would have missed it!!

Bike the rail trail - goes through Omakau which is just the other side of the river.
    Thanks for that SSB, I hope to do some fishing around there, the latest Fish and Game mag mentioned the oversize brown trout in Poolburn reservoir!

http://www.fishandgame.org.nz/Site/R...ingAccess.aspx

Anyway, I've put in a polite request to the GEL NZ shareholder enquiries person (probably Peter Liddle in Auckland) for an update on some drilling results, assays, and bulk sampling data if there is any. No reply yet..maybe other shareholders might like to try politely through the Glass Earth website..

ElZorro, i know the area well. Wait till cicada season and the
    poolburn will offer you twenty fat trout a day no worries...its a frenzy.

Any questions re: Central Otago, regional council rules or good gold mining spots in otago, just ask...

Quote Originally Posted by Aotea View Post

Any questions re: Central Otago, regional council rules or good gold mining spots in otago, just ask...
    Know of many good trails I can ride me dirt bike on round central have done penalty round the carrick range Old man Old women etc be great if their some good gold mining as well
    Last edited by JBmurc; 11-09-2009 at 09:53 PM.
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Legend

Hi Aotea, I see I have to wait until 1st October, at least, for fishing Poolburn. 20 trout a day? That would be awesome, I'll buy in some cicada flies! Pity you only get to keep three fish (being hopeful).

Re gold mining spots, are you talking about fossicking or permit areas? I understand most of the free fossicking areas are in the West Coast and Nelson areas, regions GEL has left alone.

What do you think about Glass Earth's chances of getting a limited mining permit(s) for placer expansion using the dredge in an enclosed space? Water issues are important I guess.

Yeah, the trout up there simply frenzy on a cicada hatch. You have to see it to believe it.

Re: mining, i have done hobby mining on the coast and otago. GEL has left them alone by virtue that the hobby sites were there first. Have manged to obtain a good surrender of GEL for a site that has been drilled prior, and contains 4,000+ oz in a riverbed with no more than 1m of overburden..just waiting to get things in motion before seeking my own permit i.e need to find someone to mine it under tribute first, and for me to hobby mine it too.

GEL should have a bit of trouble, but nothing they couldnt make work with a good sized dredge in a pond. That said, water will be the issue, rather than regional council consents even though without good help, council will roast them there too..definately workable tho...

Legend

Yeah, the trout up there simply frenzy on a cicada hatch. You have to see it to believe it.

Re: mining, i have done hobby mining on the coast and otago. GEL has left them alone by virtue that the hobby sites were there first. Have manged to obtain a good surrender of GEL for a site that has been drilled prior, and contains 4,000+ oz in a riverbed with no more than 1m of overburden..just waiting to get things in motion before seeking my own permit i.e need to find someone to mine it under tribute first, and for me to hobby mine it too.

GEL should have a bit of trouble, but nothing they couldnt make work with a good sized dredge in a pond. That said, water will be the issue, rather than regional council consents even though without good help, council will roast them there too..definately workable tho...
    (i) Think I need to see these trout sometime over summer
    (ii) I was going to suggest I'd bring a shovel and we could go 50/50, but on crunching the numbers I see it's a reasonably big-time area, good on you Aotea! I remember GEL's breakeven in a year of operations for placer is 3,000oz, so I guess it all depends on how concentrated the ore is, and if it can be pulled out quickly.
    (iii) OK, good to hear that things should be possible on the permit front for GEL.

When are you listing?

Cheers Elzorro!
    A mate goes fishing up there frequently and has snagged a few deer while pulling them in. Highly recommended place, but all the upland lakes along there are brilliant at that time. The place GEL gave me, after a fair bit of negotiating is in a riverbed, so the overburden of up to a max of 1m is easy work really...just waiting to get the ball rolling....