sharetrader
Page 43 of 116 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546475393 ... LastLast
    Legend

Looks like Tinker's Diggings to the South West were very rich, but Drybread offered a bigger area suitable for sluicing.

GEL's two joined exploration permits cover the St Bathan's area down past Tinkers. This area, to one side of the Dunstan Range, was a hotbed of activity for alluvial or placer mining. Layered beds of gold grains ran right through this, so if GEL can find leftover material, these permits will be more valuable using the latest equipment with the higher gold price.

My only reservation is the St Bathans/Blue Lake area, being a prime site for very old fossils, some seeming to prove that not all of NZ sank beneath the waves before popping back up, to be repopulated with flora and fauna from other places. While the fossils were probably only discovered because of earlier mining, there should be special rules for that part of the permit.

Things I didn't know I didn't know..
    Last edited by elZorro; 31-08-2011 at 04:26 PM.

Legend

I must have 'missed' the results of the Serpentine drills, at least 2 were completed a few weeks ago, but Serpentine is now persona non grata on the news releases. It did look good.

Game Hen near Hindon (close to Dunedin) is the next one. This is a previously worked area, but that was a long time ago, the gear was fairly simple. Look at this archived press article, I might have posted it before, but there were some huge lumps of gold found near Hindon, and up Game Hen Gully (Game Hen is the name of a stream). Not sure if a current journalist would get away with some of the comments made..but this article is very entertaining.

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi...--10--1----0--

EP53181 (Game Hen) has not yet been approved by NZPAM, not according to the web. 40739 (adjacent) is GEL's Hindon permit, that is approved. Most of the other permits overlapping here are aggregate or clay soil permits (50847,50726,41316). Note Styles Gully is southeast of Game Hen Stream, both spots are southeast of Hindon settlement.
    Last edited by elZorro; 01-09-2011 at 07:36 AM.

Legend

Game Hen has been mentioned by GEL for several years, and here's an article from the ODT in 2008 that covers the main prospects briefly. Sounds like GEL would like to prove it's more than alluvial, this could be a hard rock site.

http://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/14...pending-triple

Much stronger interest on the TSX overnight, ended up at CAN 74c (NZD 89c), and plenty wanting to buy around that.
    Last edited by elZorro; 01-09-2011 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Game Hen has been mentioned by GEL for several years, and here's an article from the ODT in 2008 that covers the main prospects briefly. Sounds like GEL would like to prove it's more than alluvial, this could be a hard rock site.

http://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/14...pending-triple

Much stronger interest on the TSX overnight, ended up at CAN 74c (NZD 89c), and plenty wanting to buy around that.
    THanks ElZorro for your input. An old mate put me onto this one in May at 40 cents. ( silly me waited until they got a bit higher ). Happy to be on board now though.

Quote Originally Posted by Selena View Post
    THanks ElZorro for your input. An old mate put me onto this one in May at 40 cents. ( silly me waited until they got a bit higher ). Happy to be on board now though.
    Elzorro, That reply was from me, Bermuda! I am sharing a computer in a room with with Selena over in Mooloolaba. I wonder how many other posts I have made under his code!?

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Selena View Post
    Elzorro, That reply was from me, Bermuda! I am sharing a computer in a room with with Selena over in Mooloolaba. I wonder how many other posts I have made under his code!?
    Hello there Selena/Bermuda, is it hot over there? (Just south of Noosa, QLD according to Google).

I suggest you hang on for the ride with GEL, who knows what they will find next, and already the Mcap is starting to reflect what a sensible valuation of their IP would reach. I found this satellite picture of the Game Hen/Styles Gully area. Over the years scrub has covered the workings, and on the flats are some paddocks in grass with a bit of cropping by the look of it. But farming would be lucky to show a profit of more than $2,000 per hectare per year. Mining activity in this previously-explored area would be far more useful to the economy. On most of the ground GEL has permits for, any annual returns from other uses would be minimal.

Legend

Attachment 3589

GEL is currently trading at CAN 67c, equivalent to NZ's close at 81c yesterday. A large parcel of 1 million shares has just shown up, mostly as a transfer (at 67c) between two parties at D&D Securities Inc, Toronto. Volume like this should be a good indicator for the share, which has traded at this level before.

Gold shares in general look good going forward: the HUI gold index is nearing a breakout position, gold has held firmly near US$1820 (it has not dropped back to $1500), and anything could happen next week.
    Last edited by elZorro; 02-09-2011 at 07:55 PM.

Legend

The Glass Earth PR dept seems to be non-existent at the moment. There was no major address at the AUSIMM conference last month, the Q2 report has not yet been posted on the new CMS website, and in the Media section there is reference to an article on GEL in July, which appeared in Northern Miner. Naturally I tried to read this from the link, but no go.

http://www.northernminer.com/issues/...se=glass earth

I could read that, if I paid $99 for a subscription. Isn't GEL interesting enough for a more standard newspaper to report on? GEL should arrange for the article to be available from its website, perhaps by paying a small fee on shareholders behalf. The wider point I want to make is that if there is anything in this article (or other media) that would impact on the shareprice, everyone should be able to view it.

I would also like to see a photo of the large workshop and office in Alexandra, and see the phone numbers and addresses of the Wellington and Alexandra office in the phone book, and online in the NZ white pages.

The gold price took off overnight (Sept 2nd). It looks like breaking US$1900 soon, who knows what will happen next. Barrick Gold just reported great profits, is closely tracking the gold price once again. http://tmx.quotemedia.com/article.ph...&qm_symbol=ABX

See the chart comparing OGC, GEL and ABX against the gold price. GEL has outperformed since early July.

GEL's first placer (alluvial) mine permit was McAdies (German Hill Diggings). Here is a preliminary archaeological report on the site. The recovery gear was moved to the nearby GunClub permit site a few months ago. This is useful for the detail on the mining that was done. Nothing of great historical merit was found, if compared to many other sites in Otago I would expect, and no Maori artefacts either.

http://www.spar.co.nz/Reports/Otago/...nal Report.pdf

Here is the Magazine article, temporary view. Not any new material there as it turns out.

Aug 15 - 21, 2011 Volume 97 Number 26
    Glass Earth sees clear potential in New Zealand
    Vancouver 2011-08-15
    New Zealand is an uncommon destination for gold exploration, but the low-profile presents opportunities for smaller and determined players.
    Glass Earth Gold (GEL-V), for one, has put together more than 10,000 sq. km of claims largely centred around two of the three producing gold mines in the country.
    On the North island, the company has a 35% interest in a joint venture with Newmont Mining (NEM-N) on the WKP West prospect, 5 km northeast of the Golden Cross mine that produced 634,000 oz. gold between 1991 and 1997. The Golden Cross mine is 10 km north of Newmont's Martha mine.
    The open-pit Martha mine sits conspicuously in the middle of the Waihi township like a massive sinkhole. And while the company has long held it up as a model of social responsibility, there is little room to expand it. The open-pit and underground operations are expected to close shortly. But with nearly 10 million oz. gold produced from the mine and significant infrastructure investments, Newmont continues to explore the area to the tune of $9 million a year.
    Some of that money has gone to WKP, where a $1-million follow-up exploration program is underway. Last year, holes 24-26, collared and fanning out from the same pad, respectively returned 156 metres grading 1.6 grams gold per tonne from 126 metres depth, 15 metres carrying 9.3 grams gold from 221 metres and 178 metres averaging 1.05 grams gold from 115 metres downhole.
    This year, 200 metres southwest, hole 27 returned 152 metres grading 1.16 grams gold from 129 metres depth, and included several metre-long high-grade intercepts. Hole 28 was drilled from the same collar to test further south, with results pending. WKP west has been identified over a 750-metre length, a 100-metre width and a 250-metre depth. Newmont has also drilled holes 29 and 30 to the southwest to test the WKP south target, with results also pending.
    At the Muirs Reef project, 65 km southeast of the Martha mine and 100% controlled by Glass Earth, the company has been working to test the extensions of known mineralization. Recent trenching results returned 24 metres grading 5.72 grams gold, 28 metres averaging 1.78 grams gold, 23 metres carrying 1.13 grams gold and 14 metres at 1.81 grams gold. The trenching has hit significant quartz veining across more than 450 metres of the project's southwest extension. The company is now launching a drill program to prove up the identified mineralization and establish a compliant resource.
    Glass Earth's other big land play is on the South Island in the region of Oceanagold's (OGC-T) Macraes gold project, the largest in the country with about 185,000 oz. annual gold production. Glass Earth has several hard rock targets in the Otago region that it established after doing extensive geophysical work, including a 13,000-sq.-km airborne survey, looking for structures on the Otago schist belt that could host Macraes-style mesothermal gold.
    The company identified the Serpentine, Ophir and Game Hen targets, and started a modest drill program on its Serpentine project in late March with results pending.
    To help fund exploration, Glass Earth has also taken on a large alluvial land package to produce gold in the near term. The scale of the operation is small, producing 2,500 oz. gold a year that it splits fifty-fifty with a local partner and operator, but the operation is helping to reduce losses and the company reports it could expand production to 7,500 oz. a year by 2012.
    Glass Earth's share price has climbed from around 20¢ in early June to a 52-week high of 61¢ on July 25. The company has 60 million shares outstanding, and at the end of March had $3.8 million in cash.
    Kent Exploration (KEX-V) is the only other Canadian-listed junior drilling in New Zealand. The company has a sizable land package near Oceanagold's Reefton mine, the only other producing gold mine in New Zealand.
    The company recently drilled 5 holes on its 27-sq.-km Alexander River project 25 km southeast of Reefton. Of the five holes, two were abandoned due to broken ground, two hit no reportable results and the fifth hit 1 metre grading 2.03 grams gold and 2 metres at 1.4 grams gold, from 229 metres and 251 metres downhole. At Kent's 472-sq.-km Lyell gold project, 40 km northwest of Reefton, recent sample results included a high of 6.87 grams gold.
    Superior Mining International (SUI-V) has several properties in the country and is renegotiating option terms on others, with work currently focused on mapping and surveys.
    © 1915 - 2011The Northern Miner. All Rights Reserved.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by elZorro; 04-09-2011 at 10:44 PM.

Legend

L&M Mining produced some Powerpoint slides at AUSIMM, some of which show the Glass Earth GRU used for their evaluation. The new renovated plant is fairly massive, the site being quite close to Alexandra.

http://nzresources.com/attachments/2...simmslides.pdf

Legend

Nice to see: the GEL website now has the Q2 report in place, and the media report page has been fixed. I even found the Alexandra office and phone number listed on the contact page (42a Russell St, Alexandra). This seems to be a large modern shed behind McCrostie Builders and Dunstan Homes. Much appreciated .

In the last few days, GEL has been granted an EP near Round Hill, in Southland. It's called Wakapatu, 202Ha, and there is some older mining history nearby. Quite a few Chinese miners made their fortunes here, by discovering that earlier European miners worked down to a false bottom, leaving a rich vein of gold underneath.

http://www.westernsouthland.co.nz/pa...php?entity=422
    Last edited by elZorro; 06-09-2011 at 08:31 PM.