sharetrader
Page 75 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 2565717273747576777879851251755751075 ... LastLast

In the meantime i have an app with lightbox and a tv with chromecast and can cast all manner of stuff to the telly. Why do i need a set top box. A sky app and a couple of bucks for a super rugby match and id probably be in.

I agree killing Fan Pass has to be one of the craziest moves they've made (or haven't made) yet. Classic timing with the Lions Tour and no doubt seen as a way to get some new subscribers on a contract until they limp to the next big event.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclist View Post
    I suspect that will happen as this all plays out over time. It wasn't that many years ago that the All Blacks (for example) were a bunch of guys that took some time off work every now and then so they could play a game of Rugby.
    Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Sorry guys and gals but that horse has well and truly bolted. Sport is an industry now and no amount of nostalgic wishing is going to change that. More's the pity.

I'm sure you are right, but I think something will need to change.

There is a poster on this thread on Geekzone called "Talkiet" with some very interesting perspectives. Basically suggesting that the current sport funding model relies on cross subsidisation from other subscibers (e.g. those on the basic package I guess), and that a "pay-per-sporting code" model would likely be very expensive for those who cared about a particular sport. Have a read of post #1776313 5-May-2017 14:17 on page 1 of that thread for an overview.

I am forming the view that it is a broken system. Consumers only want to pay for what they are interested in, but the embedded costs in each sporting code are too high to support that model.

Veteran novice

Thanks, cyclist. "Talkiet" is pretty much on the mark with that, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclist View Post
    I'm sure you are right, but I think something will need to change.

There is a poster on this thread on Geekzone called "Talkiet" with some very interesting perspectives. Basically suggesting that the current sport funding model relies on cross subsidisation from other subscibers (e.g. those on the basic package I guess), and that a "pay-per-sporting code" model would likely be very expensive for those who cared about a particular sport. Have a read of post #1776313 5-May-2017 14:17 on page 1 of that thread for an overview.

I am forming the view that it is a broken system. Consumers only want to pay for what they are interested in, but the embedded costs in each sporting code are too high to support that model.
    The big proviso to the above is the inclusion of sporting codes into the current broadcast model whether it's Pay TV (SKT) or Free To Air (FTA).

For example, when the America's Cup was on FTA - effectively because FTAs don't collect money from the consumers, the funding came from the advertisers who pay to have the commercials run on the network (and not necessarily those being shown during the telecast either but that's another post) and whoever provides funding to the network e.g. potentially taxpayers in the case of TVNZ via NZOnAir etc. It's not a particularly efficient model for the folk paying for the advertising either as you can't necessarily target the advertising to the folk you actually want to walk in your door/jump on your website and/or hand you some money so there's a lot of cross subsidies.

The flipside is that if SKT and FTA don't want to screen your code because they don't think it's worth their while, then it's hard to get sponsorship for your code, harder to have the best players retained locally and harder to attract people to your code in the first place. You could be the world's best speedway bike rider but you won't make much here because apart from a small hard core who will sit in the stands, no one will see you.

If you can figure out how to broadcast your sport via the internet in a professional and inexpensive way then that open opportunities esp if you disintermediate SKT or the FTA's but if you do get enough eyeballs, then someone like SKT or an FTA will pay to broadcast your code but they probably won't allow you to continue to distribute digitally. But you'd probably whore yourself because it's easy to take a wedge of cash on a regular basis than be subject to the whims of folk who pay per view - ask the ARU, they are in lose-lose because they don't want to cut a Super Rugby side but are addicted to the cash from the SANZAAR Super and Rugby Championship to stay afloat.

SKT also want to get that regular wedge of cash rather than be at the whim of folk who might or might not want to "tune in" depending on the interest... so it's a double edged sword. Having that mySky box at home is still sufficiently a lazy enough option for most of their subscriber base and they won't go broke in the short term if they sit on their hands because they continue to lock up content. It's mainly how long and how much money they throw at whacking the moles against the likes of MyBox, how much inertia the codes who are addicted to their cash continue to have and how long all the subscribers keep putting money in their jar.

Interesting reading about this new "threat" to SKY - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1194637360632303/ and http://apps.employment.govt.nz/deter...uckland_28.pdf. This "press release" or whatever you want to call it is also quite entertaining http://mediapa.co.nz/power-pr-ecomme...ky-television/ - yes, apparently Media PA is a real company with real clients, but they've chosen to take on this person (who is clearly ripping off Kiwis that don't know any better) as a client and write press releases that are complete fantasy.

Would be great if the Herald or NBR had some decent journalists.

Abou to break 52wk low. Wouldnt be a surprise to see the share drop after vfnz merger.

Quote Originally Posted by ohpark0119 View Post
    Abou to break 52wk low. Wouldnt be a surprise to see the share drop after vfnz merger.
    Why do you think it would drop?

If they can get through and merge... oh boy, the sp is going to move like a rocket's been lodged in between Fellets kookoo...

Latest sign-up program for Sky TV in Hamilton. Sky Basic + Sky Sports (incl BeIn Sports channels) + MySky box + Installation (if needed) = $9pw.

Smacks of desperation to me

But what a perfect way to infuriate existing subscribers

Investor

Quote Originally Posted by xafalcon View Post
    Latest sign-up program for Sky TV in Hamilton. Sky Basic + Sky Sports (incl BeIn Sports channels) + MySky box + Installation (if needed) = $9pw.

Smacks of desperation to me

But what a perfect way to infuriate existing subscribers
    Gosh, that's really crawling on four legs for new business. Sure to upset current subscribers....