quote:Originally posted by Shrewd Crude

gidday halebop...
You raise a very interesting point, and especially around the whole Baby Boomer thing which I can see will be the biggest issue in my life time...I think the next stockmarket crash, house slump will be contributed by BB's ... In New Zealand our soon to be retiring BB's crisis could be offset by an expansive immigration policy, other countries like the US will be hit hard, where a census estimated that there are currently 78.2 million BB's... roughly 25% of total population... If you have 20-25% people pulling out of property, shares then we are looking at decades of recessions in all forms of investments...

I can see it starting to begin with my own eyes... I live in Christchurch and the amount of retirement villages pooping up is just amazing... these BB's are selling there houses, internationals are making up with the shortfall at the moment... in 10 years there maynot be enough overseas investors to make up the difference... which could and will lead to house price falls... this could be my entry...

has anybody actually started a BB thread?
Wait 10 to 20 years and buy the dying Baby Boomers houses is a good strategy in my opinion - However what if I'm wrong and pirces don't come down much?

Then you've lost 10 - 20 years.

For a young graduate now this might be okay but I'm 38 and in 20 years I'll only have 15 years left.

See http://www.sharetrader.co.nz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23675

for a discussion of Population Growth and Growth in Property Values - it includes some BB stuff.