sharetrader
Page 188 of 733 FirstFirst ... 88138178184185186187188189190191192198238288688 ... LastLast
Results 1,871 to 1,880 of 7325

Thread: Xro - xero

Quote Originally Posted by apac View Post
    Anyone want to guess what it will close at today? And tomorrow? My guess 2550 today 2620 tomorrow
    Ok, I was wrong yesterday and today, but I'm not complaining .

I think if it hasn't dropped by now, which I thought it would have by yesterday, it's unlikely to have a big drop any time soon. The market probably believe it's worth more than it is now, and we should expect the share to keep rising, even if it's at a slower pace, until it's really "over-valued" (perhaps $40?) and will have a big drop.

Any company can do a lot of things with $180m, but this is Xero we are talking about. A lot of people were confident they could exceed their goals before the capital raise, and now with $180m it will be able to do a lot more in a much shorter timeframe.

The next exciting news will be more management/exec hires, and customer numbers that will blow our minds, which will surprise us more than the share price.

Well done Rod and team.

Quote Originally Posted by surfersteve View Post
    apple was a dying company and its now a fashion company with an aweful Development IDE
    But ... Steve Jobs.

my linux friends prefer VS everytime ...

Java was a dying language some said and then google released andriod ....

round and round it goes ...

every one gets a turn ...
    Nope.
    Who is Microsoft's Steve Jobs?
    Who is Nokia's Steve Jobs (hint: not Stephen Elsop)
    Who is Blackberry's Steve Jobs?
    warthog ... muddy and smelly

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    MSQL is definitely one of the leading enterprise level DBs and rivals anything Oracle or MySQL do. Once products get to the maturity of these 3 it does not matter much which product you use, but how you implement it. Xero appear to have implemented their chosen technology well, and appear to be a design led company (hopefully back-end as well as front end). Good implementation on any of the reliable technologies will out perform poor implementation on what is supposedly the better technology. I hate the whole platform debate for that reason. Well designed and developed applications on the MS platform are just as good as well designed and developed applications in the open source environment. The main benefit of the open source technologies is upfront cost, but there can be hidden costs. Finding staff in NZ for MS platforms is probably a whole lot easier than open source.
    Xero is design-led - yes. Why is this critical? Because it's a no-brainer to use, just like (most of) Apple's UX.

Xero is hosted with Rackspace in the US, as far as the Hog knows.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Xero and Trademe are two outliers when it comes to using Microsoft for their main platform. Most other large organisations who have to serve hundreds of thousands or millions of users do not use Microsoft products. They vote with their data.
    One of the reasons many startups shun the use of traditional corporate-style solution stacks (like MS technologies) is because they view open source technologies as being innovative solutions and believe that by using these technologies, it will reflect back upon the companies itself as being innovative. These startups then grow to become large corporates using open-source technologies.

Damn right the banks are too sharp to use Microsoft "technologies" (mostly acquired tech, not developed by MSFT) for their important systems, basically because in the scheme of things, it is a security nightmare.
    IMO, banks have been locked in by relatively ancient proprietary technologies that we implemented because mainstream alternatives did not yet exist. This has been one reason innovation has been stifled, although arguably they are now strangled by their own policies and procedures, with new non-bank entities such as PayPal now stealing their market-share.

In terms of security, most of the security issues in web-facing software are created as a direct result of human error, whether that be sloppy coding/admin, laziness or not fully understanding the implications of the employed coding methodology from a security perspective.

Which technology stack you chose to implement your product or service should be chosen based on the relatively advantages and disadvantages, with most companies using a mixture of open-source and proprietary types.

Just a slightly alternative viewpoint!

Xero is design-led - yes. Why is this critical? Because it's a no-brainer to use, just like (most of) Apple's UX.

Xero is hosted with Rackspace in the US, as far as the Hog knows.
    I completely agree on the UX point - it is a very important factor that has almost always been overlooked by software companies who assume only geeks are using their products.

Yes you're right; Xero is hosted with Rackspace primarily out of the Dallas data centre, but also with some redundancy out of Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    IMO, banks have been locked in by relatively ancient proprietary technologies that we implemented because mainstream alternatives did not yet exist. This has been one reason innovation has been stifled, although arguably they are now strangled by their own policies and procedures, with new non-bank entities such as PayPal now stealing their market-share.
    One of the largest banks in the world the Hog has had dealing with still has systems running on Windows 3.1.

To be fair, on some level, it is pretty impressive that some of these massive IT systems running on legacy platforms, geographically fragmented and distant, even manage to function as a comprehensible system at all.

In terms of security, most of the security issues in web-facing software are created as a direct result of human error, whether that be sloppy coding/admin, laziness or not fully understanding the implications of the employed coding methodology from a security perspective.
    Well, that's true of pretty much all technology. But leaking known exploits early to the NSA isn't really human error, unless you classify unethical policy as some sort of error :-)

Banking is ready for disruption.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Haha all this week i've been thinking about buying some but keep going "Nah it's gonna fall the second i buy some" i might take a $5000 punt tomorrow morning depending on how i like the depth.
    Did u get in wolf?

Nah watched it closely but decided against it. Was worried there would be heavy profit taking. If it goes up monday i might buy tuesday haha. Or if i like the depth on monday. Quite happy with PEB atm

So sp went up 50% last week, so if it drops to say 25% above pre-announcement, it's still a 25% gain on paper not bad at all. Would it drop below $18.15 without negative news? I doubt it.

so if your average is below $18.15, your capital should be safe for now.

What would be good, is if the sp doesn't keep rising at ridiculously rate, and just creep up, with some drops less than 1% every now and then. Remember around $8 time, it kept going up without much drop until $15, and even then it only dropped to about $12.

Strategy for holders now, or any time really is to ignore any drops, even if it drops to say $10 for argument sake, and in a few months, it could be back up and even higher. Easier said than done though. There's always the psychological factor - fear and greed.

If there's negative news however then that's a different story. Nobody can predict the future. Can Xero drop to below $1? Absolutely, but not without a good reason though. Can Xero sp go up to over $100? Absolutely, but again not without a good reason.