sharetrader
Page 399 of 970 FirstFirst ... 299349389395396397398399400401402403409449499899 ... LastLast
Results 3,981 to 3,990 of 9700
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    RYM get them fixated on the fixed weekly fee for life thing...and they all know their super is inflation adjusted every year so they think they're on too a winner.
    My parents are in a non-aligned village and have a rising fee.
    Everytime the super goes up their fee goes up a % also.
    No justification for the increase needed.
    They accept it as a necessary evil but an evil nonetheless

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    My parents' friend has a cottage at a village. She was complaining about the fee going up until I told her by how much rates and house insurance were increasing & estimated how much she would be paying for a cottage of similar size if she owned its freehold!

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    My mum is in one with rising fees as well but the fee increases seem reasonable considering the point that Bjauck made. The other thing is getting reliable tradesmen to fix things isn't cheap either especially with the current building boom going on around the country and there's all the other lifestyle aspects to her village which made it the right choice for her, (and Dad when he was alive). Now that Dad has passed away I know my mum would like a little dog for company so I don't really get this whole thing that Retirement villages have against dogs ?
    Last edited by Beagle; 13-01-2017 at 09:56 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.”
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    so I don't really get this whole thing that Retirement villages have against dogs ?

Didn't you once own a beagle?? Imagine them in a retirement village!!

Looking for food, scooting all over carpet, howling for more food, shedding, constantly trying to sneak out and 'go walkabouts', usually without you............. more howling, snatching your roast chicken off your plate when you turn your back for an instant........ slinks away when told off...... but back within 2 minutes looking for more food!

Woof.

percy

Maybe Roger and Snoopy could make the best of "the window of opportunity" to open their own retirement village, where dog ownership is mandatory,"Houndsville"....lol.

Default Pet Therapy

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Monkey View Post
    Didn't you once own a beagle?? Imagine them in a retirement village!!

Looking for food, scooting all over carpet, howling for more food, shedding, constantly trying to sneak out and 'go walkabouts', usually without you............. more howling, snatching your roast chicken off your plate when you turn your back for an instant........ slinks away when told off...... but back within 2 minutes looking for more food!

Woof.
    Kelly was a wonderful beagle and our whole family adored her. Beagle's love company and are prone to misbehavior if they're lonely. Not easy to train and love their food, (mind you they don't have that on their own, this hound does too !) I hear what you're saying and there are concerns but here's the thing, most retirement villages will allow you in if you already own a dog, (otherwise they know they will lose the sale as most people think of their dog as a member of their family) but will not allow you to replace it when it dies and will not allow a lonely old person to acquire a dog if their partner dies. Quite obviously most retirement villages are taking a profit driven and disingenuous approach with dog ownership within villages. If its in their financial interests they allow it, if its in the retiree's interests and there's no money in it for them they disallow it... I find this approach which seems to be widespread throughout the retirement industry morally bankrupt and reprehensible.

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Maybe Roger and Snoopy could make the best of "the window of opportunity" to open their own retirement village, where dog ownership is mandatory,"Houndsville"....lol.
    Not the silliest business idea I've ever heard by any means. This is very interesting reading. http://www.nytimes.com/1982/08/11/ga...pagewanted=all (Forwarded to me by former poster Crackity)...wouldn't it be great if that bright chap was allowed back...
    The first retirement village that takes a proactive approach in this area and actively encourages retiree's to have pets throughout their stay will not only gain a real marketing and competitive advantage but will also be doing their residents a tremendous favor. Perhaps the notion of a "Houndsville" perhaps a division of one of the retirement companies and special villages with special appropriate rules are not such a silly idea after all ?
    Last edited by Beagle; 13-01-2017 at 12:01 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.”
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

House prices to continue to rise in the foreseeable future

http://www.sharechat.co.nz/article/8...pert-viewshtml

Yah, all SUM properties get revalued up - higher profits (for the forseeable future)
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    House prices to continue to rise in the foreseeable future

http://www.sharechat.co.nz/article/8...pert-viewshtml

Yah, all SUM properties get revalued up - higher profits (for the forseeable future)
    Hmmm - funny, but this is not what I read in the article ... they said the experts are not sure.

Regarding the REITS (including SUM) - I think what will hurt them more are the rising interest rates (or the expectations thereof).
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Just had a brief discussion with GM of one of the major Aussie owned franchises who phoned me with best wishes for 2017. Was very brief but he did mention in passing they're getting more listings in Auckland than sales and its the other way around in the provinces. 2017 to be a game of two halves for real estate with Auckland under the pump but everywhere else doing just fine ? SUM have a fair few villages around the country so I suppose this thing balances out for them. Speaking of things being under the pump, I think its fair to say the SP reaction to 4Q 2016 sales is in by now and its no real surprise that with the sales number being well below the previous two quarters the SP reaction has been lackluster. It seems to me that there's very few resales in spring, was the same last year, I guess old folks hang on in there if they make it through winter and look forward to summer just like everyone else !
    Last edited by Beagle; 13-01-2017 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Hmmm - funny, but this is not what I read in the article ... they said the experts are not sure.

Regarding the REITS (including SUM) - I think what will hurt them more are the rising interest rates (or the expectations thereof).
    Only views -

Property Institute - The continuing gap between demand and supply means that further price inflation is inevitable for the foreseeable future. The institute says that while price inflation will likely run into double digits, it will still be lower than the highs seen in the last couple of years.

ASB ... expect the housing market to glide into a soft landing. While we expect the housing market to cool, housing prices should still have a floor on them

I feel the Property Institute guy is more of an 'expert' ....though both pushing their own barrow

Again BP - we read different things into the same info - seems we are both biased eh and only see what we want to to support our views
    Last edited by winner69; 13-01-2017 at 05:21 PM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”