sharetrader
Page 503 of 970 FirstFirst ... 3403453493499500501502503504505506507513553603 ... LastLast
Results 5,021 to 5,030 of 9698

Perhaps people would do well to ponder in this very low interest rate environment what is a fair underlying earnings multiple for this sector with excellent tailwinds from population demographics given the market average multiple is about 18 ? 22-23 based on forward earnings seems perfectly fair and reasonable to me given strong prevailing tailwinds for this sector for the next 20-25 years.
    On a stock specific selection basis people might then want to consider which stock has the best growth rate in the last five years. Directors were buying before the annual meeting in the low $5 range...good enough for them, good enough for others ?
    Last edited by Beagle; 23-06-2017 at 10:46 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Some analysis on property trends - Hamilton prices seem about the same / ever so slightly up. Wellington prices are up nicely. Nearly 50% gain in one year on my last purchase, based on comparibles. I don't monitor markets in other parts, well.... not actively enough to make comment on change since the start of the year.

Banned

House sales in Auckland down in May, but the average and median prices remain rock solid, thats the important bit for an elderly person selling up to move into a retirement unit.

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    House sales in Auckland down in May, but the average and median prices remain rock solid, thats the important bit for an elderly person selling up to move into a retirement unit.
    Suppose even if property prices crashed thst elderly person will get less for their house ..but the retirement unit will probably be a bit cheaper as well. Equilibrium
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    I've found this old document interesting to refer back to, im sure everyone one has already read it.

http://www.rbnz.govt.nz/-/media/Rese...016jan79-1.pdf

helps with understanding the importance of Auckland's market with rest of NZ.

shocking article in SMH today on 'the retirement racket'
    http://www.smh.com.au/interactive/20...dom/index.html

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    shocking article in SMH today on 'the retirement racket'
    http://www.smh.com.au/interactive/20...dom/index.html
    No wonder the Australians are welcoming Ryman with open arms [and cheque books].
    I expect they would love to have SUM there too.
    Bring it on,as we are "well positioned.".

IMO

I hope our companies are way better than this; they will come under scrutiny too. I feel ashamed about owning Aveo previously. 120 pages of dense legalistic contracts which most of us wouldn't understand.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    I hope our companies are way better than this; they will come under scrutiny too. I feel ashamed about owning Aveo previously. 120 pages of dense legalistic contracts which most of us wouldn't understand.
    Maybe EHE welcomed Norah Barlow as a director, and then as CEO, so she could oversee "the New Zealand" way. ?
    Simon Challies told me years ago when I asked him about Aveum, that Australian retirement villages were "lifestyle" while their model was "total care".
    Interesting enough Aveum's CEO,Simon Owen, went on to run INA,which is a very different model altogether.buying a lot of holiday parks, and then leasing out land for retirees to put relocatable homes on.
    Last edited by percy; 24-06-2017 at 11:28 AM.

Advanced Member

Nice article in The Sunday Star Times. (If someone can add it to thread please)It states workers wanting employment rather than six months of a pay increase before smaller operators are forced to close unless they can attract more people. The Governments contribution would mean employers would still have to come up with remaining $245 million.

I love How Sam Jones of one of the unions said "that they pushed hard for the appropriate funding in the settlement and there should be no excuse for cut ours or closure". Also saying " if the rest times are facing closure, then a shortfall must have already been there,as wages should have no real impact " where do these guys come from to believe that?

Not just me but Simon Wallace the New Zealand age care Associations Chief executive disagree with Sam.

I really feel sorry for the smaller operators that are genuinely struggling.