sharetrader
Page 298 of 970 FirstFirst ... 198248288294295296297298299300301302308348398798 ... LastLast
Results 2,971 to 2,980 of 9700
    Veteran novice

Once recent immigrants become established, they may well decide their money can go further if they moved from Auckland to other localities.
    That goes for all of us, not just recent immigrants! But it's no accident that Auckland is growing faster than other localities - it's where the jobs are! And growth feeds on itself as more population needs more services which needs more workers which attracts more businesses which need more workers - and so it goes on. Still a good future for future growth of retirement companies in Auckland, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    When/if a needle pops the bubble many have said has eventuated, which company will be hardest hit? Medium term Auckland has the demographic tail wind. A reason why I invested into MET, which, at that time I bought in,was out of favour for a number of reasons. Anglo-celts tended to settle all over NZ. When the recent immigrant groups become more established they may also spread out through NZ. Once other centres have diverse ethnic communities well-established then subsequent immigration may become more diffuse NZ-wide. Also if Auckland land development becomes easier and cheaper...that may affect moderate future price rises.

After previous Auckland property price surges, the rest of NZ has played catch up. I cannot quote comparative figures, maybe others can. I think over many decades Auckland has averaged an extra 1% pa over and above average NZ house price growth. That's off the top of my head - DYOR! Once recent immigrants become established, they may well decide their money can go further if they moved from Auckland to other localities.
    They don't like it anywhere outside Auckland, too cold. Like it or loathe it there's simply no appetite at a central government level to turn off the immigration tap. If anything it appears as a nation we are so politically correct as to embrace substantial volumes of all races and creeds.

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    And 4 bucks by the end of the month. I have that feeling.

Hey Roger, it will catching up to MET soon. Parity in the retirement sector?
    I love it, two good laugh's from two good mates in two days, I'm really starting to enjoy this thread again
    Get out now mate before Norah dumps the rest of her 500K shares.
    Last edited by Beagle; 08-04-2015 at 04:06 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    They don't like it anywhere outside Auckland, too cold. Like it or loathe it there's simply no appetite at a central government level to turn off the immigration tap. If anything it appears as a nation we are so politically correct as to embrace substantial volumes of all races and creeds.
    Young working immigrants are needed to fill the spaces left in the workforce by the retiring boomers!

So all those migrants from Blighty should have gone to Stewart Island & Chathams - rest of NZ being too hot and sunny Would perhaps reduce the skin cancer rate...

Man alive...why are so many posters wanting/wishing the SP to assume a steep trajectory...(have a look at CEN)....are you folk intending to sell at 4 bucks ???? why not sell at 10 bucks...maybe in 5 years time after a share split !!!!

Surely (Im not perfect at all) but why cannot we adopt a more sophisticated approach to investing in our sharemarket ..like view the SM as an investment ......bloody hell if we don't ....no wonder folk keep on buying bloody houses...(OK I have a few !!1).....get my drift !!!!

percy

I think Auckland is a wonderful city.
    NZ's wealth is not centred only in Auckland.
    There are some very wealthy people living in ,The Bay of Islands,Whangarei,Coromandel,Tauranga,Taupo,Hastin gs,New Plymouth,Napier,Palmerston North,Kapiti Coast,Wellington,Masterton, Hamilton and perhaps Wanganui.,..
    But the real wealth is off course in the South Island;Nelson,Blenheim,Motueka,North Canterbury,Culverden,Rangoria,Christchurch,Akaroa, Ashburton,Geraldine,Temuka,Timaru,Dunedin,Invercar gil and Queenstown..
    So any retirement business operating solely in Auckland will do well in Auckland,and miss the golden opportunities the likes of Ryman and Summerset are taking the advantage of .!!

Great post..I could not agree more.But is not MET....expanding here as we'll....or am I wrong....anyways I'm holding all three till.........cheers

Quote Originally Posted by troyvdh View Post
    Man alive...why are so many posters wanting/wishing the SP to assume a steep trajectory...(have a look at CEN)....are you folk intending to sell at 4 bucks ???? why not sell at 10 bucks...maybe in 5 years time after a share split !!!!

Surely (Im not perfect at all) but why cannot we adopt a more sophisticated approach to investing in our sharemarket ..like view the SM as an investment ......bloody hell if we don't ....no wonder folk keep on buying bloody houses...(OK I have a few !!1).....get my drift !!!!
    Have a few more mate, you are talking sense. I agree with everything you say.

It's all because the world has developed a gambling culture. That's why I want SUM to get to 4 bucks quick so I can move onto the next 'gamble'

Not good eh

Have a read of this great article. I am sure you will agree with every word. We all should read this

http://www.mckinsey.com/insights/str...p-mck-oth-1504

The start -

We tend to speak of short-termism as though it’s a problem that only afflicts investors or corporate leaders, but that’s not the case. Short-term thinking pervades our most important institutions, from government to households.We’ve created a gambling culture in which we tune out everything except the most immediate outcomes. If we’re going to meet our commitments to our children and grandchildren, and to society as a whole, we need to open up the lens and start taking a more responsible, longer-term view of the challenges we face.

There’s a host of reasons short-termism has taken hold in our culture, both in the United States and more broadly. Greed and the media’s reliance on daily bombardments of bad news certainly play a part, but more important, we’ve lost sight of our actual goals. It’s in everyone’s interest to provide opportunities for education, a reasonable level of healthcare, and a secure retirement for the most people possible, just as we should all be working to conserve our natural resources to assure that clean air, clean water, and renewable fuel sources are available to our children.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    That goes for all of us, not just recent immigrants! But it's no accident that Auckland is growing faster than other localities - it's where the jobs are! And growth feeds on itself as more population needs more services which needs more workers which attracts more businesses which need more workers - and so it goes on. Still a good future for future growth of retirement companies in Auckland, IMO.
    It would be interesting to see comparative population age profiles for AK, WGTN, CHCH, & DND. I suspect that AK would have the lowest proportion of oldies in its population. However in a few decades that could change as the recent migrants to Auckland approach retirement age (assuming that they continue to stay in Auckland and NZ)...maybe like the British colonials in the former Empire, the recent migrants to NZ will seek to retire back to their mother countries.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    There’s a host of reasons short-termism has taken hold in our culture
    I blame the internet, buying and selling shares just so easy now, then you have all the forums etc tempting people from one stock to another. It not just stocks it everything. People cant be bothered even to read these days, for example i didnt even make it to the end of your post :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    I blame the internet, buying and selling shares just so easy now, then you have all the forums etc tempting people from one stock to another. It not just stocks it everything. People cant be bothered even to read these days, for example i didnt even make it to the end of your post :-)
    Agree, the worlds gone mad eh ratkin

Tried to say that in emoji talk but emojis don't seem to work on Sharetrader

Then you wouldn't have to read my post