sharetrader
Page 256 of 733 FirstFirst ... 156206246252253254255256257258259260266306356 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,560 of 7330

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    You will enjoy SCY's latest announcement.
    At least SCY has unlike WHS a finance arm that makes money

Giving cash back to shareholders - is that a sign more acquisitions off the table.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

percy

Yes the finance company makes money,and the retail does not [or very little],but then retail supplies the finance company's customers.
    Cash back to shareholders shows Ron Brierley and others influence.I will reframe from commenting.
    Latest acquisition ,Furniture City, has fallen short of expectations,however they are still talking the talk,but walking the walk ,appears to be a very long way off.
    Last edited by percy; 03-06-2017 at 01:28 PM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Yes the finance company makes money,and the retail does not [or very little],but then retail supplies the finance company's customers.
    Cash back to shareholders shows Ron Brierley and others influence.I will reframe from commenting.
    Latest acquisition ,Furniture City, has fallen short of expectations,however they are still talking the talk,but walking the walk ,appears to be a very long way off.
    Total agreement.. Hold No Retail what so ever.. Never have. The times they are a'changin still rings true in my ears.

Buy the suppliers, suppliers.. Banks..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7qQ6_RV4VQ
    Last edited by janner; 04-06-2017 at 10:38 PM.

Guru

Nudging $2.00 atm, big fall over the last year and a long way from the glory days, it has not been a good investment for the Norman family ( Pascoes/Farmers and a few other companies )

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Good stories. About Noel Leemings. - good from a consumer perspective but horrendous from a shareholders perspective

If thats what needed to make a sale no wonder NL operating margin is a razor thin 2%. Take of a share of interest and tax not much made on Roger's tele.

Competitive market sector.
    Makes you think doesn't it. Just over 4 years ago I paid $4,000 for a 52 inch Samsung high definition set. On the weekend I pay just a little over one third of that for a bigger 55 inch curved Ultra high definition television. Really makes you wonder about the margin doesn't it...not surprised their net margin is only 2%. They have to pay staff and expensive shopping mall rent / outgoings out of that modest sale.
    Of course some people waltz in and must have the latest 2017 model with the latest quantum dot technology or whatever they call it that supposed to be a little bit clearer, (and quite possibly is but I didn't really notice much difference) for three times the price but how many people outlay $5,000+ on a new telly these days when you can get a really good one at such a realistic price ? The hound splashed out and ordered up Sky sport for the America's cup...must admit those boats looked razor sharp on the new telly this morning tearing around at 40 knots. Poor old WHS...caught in a spiral of cheaper and cheaper goods with lower $ margins but increasing leases and staff costs and severe losses on their finance company fisaco...Hmmm... $1.50 next port of call ?
    Last edited by Beagle; 06-06-2017 at 04:25 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

I don't if any/many of you are subscribers to the Australian Intelligent Investor but in the answer to a recent question "Will Amazon affect Trade Me?" the post script was about how expensive and old-fashioned the analyst found a Warehouse store to be, along with the comment "I’d certainly be much more worried about Amazon if I was a Warehouse Group shareholder."

Quote Originally Posted by kiwico View Post
    I don't if any/many of you are subscribers to the Australian Intelligent Investor but in the answer to a recent question "Will Amazon affect Trade Me?" the post script was about how expensive and old-fashioned the analyst found a Warehouse store to be, along with the comment "I’d certainly be much more worried about Amazon if I was a Warehouse Group shareholder."
    Its not only amazon who the warehouse have to worry about its K-MART as well really getting there act together new facilities in asia are allowing them to lower prices more.
    one step ahead of the herd

Handsome Member

K-Mart keep things relevant, you go into the Red Sheds and u can still pick up 2015 merchandise. WHS needs simplification!!! old methods of doing business isnt working, when will they realise that? They have the locations, they just need innovation and simplicity. Parts of the business that isnt performing as expected get the chop and invest in the parts that are. Crazy that in 2017 they are still making the same decisions.

We can always take the contrary view, Amazon and K-Mart should worry about the Warehouse and think twice about entering the market full force.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by bottomfeeder View Post
    We can always take the contrary view, Amazon and K-Mart should worry about the Warehouse and think twice about entering the market full force.
    Absolute classic.!
    Funnist post this year.