sharetrader
Page 167 of 733 FirstFirst ... 67117157163164165166167168169170171177217267667 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,670 of 7330

Well Percy that would seem to be suggesting that you would be better off investing in Postie plus...LOL good luck on that. PS you don't fit the WHS demographic so why would they want to stock to your requirements?
    Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Well I have visited two WHS stores during the past week.:
    Barrington Store.Went looking for more Nescafe coffee.Could not find it.Helpful assistant told me where it was.Not on special,so did not buy.Thought I would look for a pair of shorts.Most did not have a back pocket for my wallet.Then I thought what am I doing in this "hell hole",and made a quick exit.Still think this store is a mess.
    Greymouth Store.Still looking for a pair of shorts.Again I gave up.Possibly a bigger mess than Barrington,yet my wife found and brought what she wanted.!!!
    My shorts.Brought a nice pair of smart dress shorts.Do for Christmas day.Side pockets [deep] and good back pocket [with button] for my wallet.Bargain at $25.Well done Postie Plus Greymouth.!!!!!
    www.dividendyield.co.nz
    Conservative Investing and dividend producers...get rich slowly!
    https://www.facebook.com/dividendyieldnz

Thought I would look for a pair of shorts.
    Whether looking for clothes or for shares, Percy and Birdy, you might be better off looking at HLG. They've also been knocked back in the last year. They have a substantial dividend, and may be set for a faster recovery?

percy

Quote Originally Posted by satan View Post
    Whether looking for clothes or for shares, Percy and Birdy, you might be better off looking at HLG. They've also been knocked back in the last year. They have a substantial dividend, and may be set for a faster recovery?
    Thanks Satan.
    I notice you have recently joined sharetrader.Welcome.
    I am a bit of an "anti Christ" myself.!!
    For two,three or four years I have been post warnings about the dangers of investing in retail stocks.Not a kind sector for investors.I have had no reason to change my opinion.!
    My warnings on The King Buys Postie Plus threads were spot on.
    Last edited by percy; 11-12-2014 at 11:06 AM.

HLG way too illiquid but must admit to liking their dividend. I just cannot believe that it can be maintained so have looked, lusted but left lacking. WHS on the other hand performs well and consistently and though it could be termed retail...its sort of like saying New World is the same as your corner dairy. As Captain Kirk would say.."that's not retail as we know it Jim".
    Quote Originally Posted by satan View Post
    Last edited by BIRMANBOY; 11-12-2014 at 11:16 AM.
    www.dividendyield.co.nz
    Conservative Investing and dividend producers...get rich slowly!
    https://www.facebook.com/dividendyieldnz

Thanks Satan.
    I notice you have recently joined sharetrader.Welcome.
    I am a bit of an "anti Christ" myself.!!
    For two,three or four years I have been post warnings about the dangers of investing in retail stocks.Not a kind sector for investors.I have had no reason to change my opinion.!
    My warnings on The King Buys Postie Plus threads were spot on.
    Thanks Percy. I like to have a little something in every sector. Retail is struggling but there are some successes (BGR). Also, I like the downtrodden, there is always the possibility of salvation around the corner.
    Last edited by Biscuit; 11-12-2014 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BIRMANBOY View Post
    HLG way too illiquid but must admit to liking their dividend. I just cannot believe that it can be maintained so have looked, lusted but left lacking. .
    I guess its the wrong thread. I've picked up a few HLG over the last few months. No debt, strong cashflow, big dividend, oversold if last year was a one-off as management maintain. I have some WHS too, good place to get Mrs Satan a little something cheap for Christmas.

Trying to get a sense of what low oil prices might mean for the stocks I hold. I sold my BP shares about six months ago (just lucky). I can't see it making much difference to my Genesis shares but feel free to tell me otherwise on the Genesis thread. Could low oil prices benefit WHS? The analyst in the attached link sees a boon for retailers:

"Disposable incomes in developed economies like the US, UK, Eurozone and Japan are likely to be boosted if prices do remain low, which could prove to be a boon for the stocks of large retailers in these economies. It’s estimated that a $40 fall in oil prices means a transfer of around $1.4 trillion (£896bn) from oil producers to consumers, and the latter group is far more likely to spend the money sooner."

http://www.cityam.com/1418088480/oil-hits-five-year-low-what-does-mean-markets

I did my xmas shopping at WHS yesterday and bought myself two very nice pairs of Mitre sports shoes for just $45. Two pairs for $45! And they're of tidy quality! Sales pitch over.

Edit: I meant to add, not intending to buy anymore WHS at this stage. I have quite enough.

Last edited by Bobdn; 14-12-2014 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdn View Post
    Trying to get a sense of what low oil prices might mean for the stocks I hold. I sold my BP shares about six months ago (just lucky). I can't see it making much difference to my Genesis shares but feel free to tell me otherwise on the Genesis thread. Could low oil prices benefit WHS? The analyst in the attached link sees a boon for retailers:

"Disposable incomes in developed economies like the US, UK, Eurozone and Japan are likely to be boosted if prices do remain low, which could prove to be a boon for the stocks of large retailers in these economies. It’s estimated that a $40 fall in oil prices means a transfer of around $1.4 trillion (£896bn) from oil producers to consumers, and the latter group is far more likely to spend the money sooner."

http://www.cityam.com/1418088480/oil-hits-five-year-low-what-does-mean-markets

I did my xmas shopping at WHS yesterday and bought myself two very nice pairs of Mitre sports shoes for just $45. Two pairs for $45! And they're of tidy quality! Sales pitch over.

Edit: I meant to add, not intending to buy anymore WHS at this stage. I have quite enough.

Not sure, whether the impact is fully predictable. Obviously - people have a higher disposable income with lower oil prices, which is good for them. On the other hand, they might feel better off and go instead to one of the "better" shops (which would be bad for the Red Sheds, though might be good for Noel Leemings or Torpedo 7). Personally I think the lower oil price will do more good than bad for the WHS, but good could as well mean a slower decline ...

In my view the more important questions are:
    - How long until the manage to find their lost X-factor?
    - Do they manage to get their product quality consistently up?
    - Do they manage in improving their customer satisfaction ratings?
    - Do they manage to improve store efficiency (WHS Stationary)?

As indicated in earlier posts - based on my own consumer observations (i.e. not really statistical relevant), I do see patchy progress in some of the stores, but not sure whether it is enough yet to turn the story around.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Two trades totalling 200k shares in last few minutes. Possibly a yield play but only the buyer/s know for certain.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwitrev View Post
    Two trades totalling 200k shares in last few minutes. Possibly a yield play but only the buyer/s know for certain.
    Maybe the Normans topping up

Talking of them been in 2 Whitcoulls this week ....the stores make the Warehouse look grandiose in comparison. I believe Whitcoulls are a book shop?