sharetrader
Page 79 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2969757677787980818283 ... LastLast

Thread: Dow

Hybrid View

Good observation Baa Baa. Stock prices can go up or down due to more than one reasons. Some want to support their own shares. Not only some of the most sophisticated investors but also private equity firms were buying back their own shares.

http://www.iii.co.uk/articles/303762...ed-bull-market

Have central banks restarted bull market?

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by MARKETWINNER View Post
    Good observation Baa Baa. Stock prices can go up or down due to more than one reasons. Some want to support their own shares. Not only some of the most sophisticated investors but also private equity firms were buying back their own shares.

http://www.iii.co.uk/articles/303762...ed-bull-market

Have central banks restarted bull market?
    Thanks, good article. Great line about the head wanting to buy but the discipline preventing it.

These two I found interesting as well:

Who the Heck Is Buying the US Stocks that Chinese and other Foreign Investors Are Massively Dumping? http://wolfstreet.com/2016/04/19/who...ively-dumping/

This Also Happened the Last 2 Times before Stocks Crashed
    http://wolfstreet.com/2016/04/18/fin...arket-crashes/

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    Thanks, good article. Great line about the head wanting to buy but the discipline preventing it.

These two I found interesting as well:

Who the Heck Is Buying the US Stocks that Chinese and other Foreign Investors Are Massively Dumping? http://wolfstreet.com/2016/04/19/who...ively-dumping/

This Also Happened the Last 2 Times before Stocks Crashed
    http://wolfstreet.com/2016/04/18/fin...arket-crashes/

Thank you for some valuable links. We can clearly see notable rising trend for USD despite selling US bonds and stocks.

How about high frequency trading,formula trading, algorithmic trading and fund trading? They also can move stock indexes and futures market at least for the short run. Fundamentals are very weak for grain. However we saw sudden spike in commodity futures recently and now they are tumbling again. What cash markets are doing is the opposite of futures.

Who were the big soybean and grain buyers? Funds have been participating with derivative trading, plus futures trades along with Over the Counter trading. Large fund traders have become smarter.

Over the past seven years China has become a centre of economic attention. When China buys or sells, their large transactions also affect markets. There is a talk, at some point they will sell 15 percent of their stockpiled corn.

AT some point we should see bear market. In other words over valued Assets should readjust at some point. Value stocks should outperform growth stocks in 2016.
    Last edited by Valuegrowth; 24-04-2016 at 05:34 PM.

Guru

Batten down the hatches me hearties, there's a storm brewing

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    Batten down the hatches me hearties, there's a storm brewing
    Central banks still have plenty of oil to pour on troubled waters. If successful they should destroy cashed up investors like myself before risk takers and borrowers are affected. I keep getting my hopes up that there will be an investment opportunity like 2009 again only to have them dashed time after time.
    Last edited by Aaron; 04-05-2016 at 10:21 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Central banks still have plenty of oil to pour on troubled waters. If successful they should destroy cashed up investors like myself before risk takers and borrowers are affected. I keep getting my hopes up that there will be an investment opportunity like 2009 again only to have them dashed time after time.
    Central banks still have plenty of oil to pour on troubled waters...for an increasing number of commentators the central banks continued meddling is their fear...
    Having a Low interest rates and easy monetary policy period for too long breeds lazy inefficient investing..This school of thought which was pooh poohed years ago is gaining some renewed popularity.

..getting my hopes up that there will be an investment opportunity like 2009 again
    ...Aaron are you implying now is a good investment opportunity time?
    In early 2007 the DOW was around 14000 and the Earnings/share peaked at about $85 (S&P500 value) which is about the same as now (($90ish/S&P500 share), except the DOW is now at 18000.. Hmmm.. If I can remember correctly, after the crash in 2008, everyone agreed how overvalued the DOW was in 2007...It's wonderful with hindsight...ehh
    Last edited by Hoop; 04-05-2016 at 12:48 PM.

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    ..getting my hopes up that there will be an investment opportunity like 2009 again...Aaron are you implying now is a good investment opportunity time?
    In early 2007 the DOW was around 14000 and the Earnings/share peaked at about $85 (S&P500 value) which is about the same as now (($90ish/S&P500 share), except the DOW is now at 18000.. Hmmm.. If I can remember correctly, after the crash in 2008, everyone agreed how overvalued the DOW was in 2007...It's wonderful with hindsight...ehh
    In 2007 it was 14,000 by March 2009 it was 7,000-8,000.

Guru

Apologies Aaron..it seems I got lost in translation

Sorry..I thought you mean't today prices had opportunities similar to those opportunities back in 2009...

Membaa

DOW pulled back perfectly Sept 22 from a test of the falling ST resistance down-trend line. Now it's either on the Feb-Jun rising support trend line (arithmetic scale), or broke down through that same support trend line (log scale). 18,000 support in play again.

You are absolutely right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    DOW pulled back perfectly Sept 22 from a test of the falling ST resistance down-trend line. Now it's either on the Feb-Jun rising support trend line (arithmetic scale), or broke down through that same support trend line (log scale). 18,000 support in play again.