sharetrader
Page 308 of 462 FirstFirst ... 208258298304305306307308309310311312318358408 ... LastLast
Results 3,071 to 3,080 of 4618
    Banned

Typical bleating Herald article, rehashing very old news, nothing's going to change. Last time Labour starting pushing the CGT argument they got trashed, haven't they learnt anything(Well Andrew Little appeared to by backtracking on the idea)

IMO

The "pop goes the bubble" re Retirement Villages article by Tim Hunter is int reading in the NBR citing disclosure standards or lack of.
    And coming out in Aus ,this attack. Headwinds alright.

Bleed Them Dry Until They Die
    By Adele Ferguson, Klaus Toft, Lucy Carter
    Posted June 22, 2017 11:50:00

Bleed them dry until they die
    Monday 26 June 2017
    Bleed Them Dry Until They Die: The retirement villages ripping off retirees.
    "It's a financial trap. It's a financial sinkhole. Once you're in, it's very hard to get out." Former Resident
    The glossy brochures and slick advertising sell the promise of a blissful retirement in "enclaves of contentedness" where "lifestyle meets wellbeing." But residents of the retirement homes run by one of Australia's biggest providers have a very different story to tell.
    "If there's any way that can more quickly separate a person in a retirement village from their money, I don't know it." Former Resident
    These retirement villages are marketed as a way for older Australians to keep their independence without the burden of maintaining a property. They can relax, secure in the knowledge that they have someone to call on if they need help. What many residents don't realise, until it's too late, is the astronomical amount they will have to pay for the privilege.
    "It's clearly designed to suck as much profit from the individual investors as it possibly can. I do think it's outrageous. I think it's extortionate. I think it's exploitative." Former Resident
    On Monday night, in a joint Four Corners/Fairfax Media investigation, reporter Adele Ferguson examines the ruthless tactics that residents say put profits before people.
    "It's completely biased in favour of the operators. You feel you haven't got a chance to defend your home against the rapacity of the huge corporation, who will always win because they can afford the legal costs involved." Former Resident
    Residents say they've been patronised, marginalised and ripped off. Now they want to warn others.
    "It was like living in a grubby fairy tale." Resident
    The findings of this joint investigation will be revealed in a series of online articles published by ABC News Online and Fairfax culminating in the Four Corners broadcast on Monday night.
    Last edited by Joshuatree; 23-06-2017 at 04:04 PM.

SUM retirement companies have higher satisfaction level's than others (94%). I suppose its human nature for a tiny minority of disaffected people to bleat like sheep missing their lambs. Not headwinds, just one or two disaffected people making a lot of noise. Human nature can be an ugly thing, people want all the convenience of community living with all the activities, common area's,organized trips, bowling green, spa poos, swimming pool, medical support and back up panic buttons in rooms for assistance if you fall over, onsite meals, access to cleaning and support services, library, onsite chapel, organized exercise classes, e.t.c.e.t.c. these companies can provide but they expect it for free...
    Last edited by Beagle; 23-06-2017 at 04:27 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

IMO

Yes i hope this doesn't have legs; we will see. Going to get a lot of airing on ABC and Four corners.You get the NBR Roger; surprised you haven't commented on the Article by Tim Hunter?

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Yes i hope this doesn't have legs; we will see. Going to get a lot of airing on ABC and Four corners.You get the NBR Roger; surprised you haven't commented on the Article by Tim Hunter?
    Should help Ryman sell their Melbourne Villages.
    Interestingly enough that Ryman's good name proceeded their arrival.
    Word of mouth is Ryman's [and SUM's] best advertising.
    Added security of providing "tota care" pays big dividends.

Been pretty busy and its a tired old subject and besides that there has to be some logical limit on how many forums one wastes time on
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

IMO

Hey yeah right pass me a tui; and have a good weekend. Must be feeling great being more light weight now; bounding around , good on you and any one else that thread has found useful re weight loss.Live longer AND reduce your personal carbon footprint.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    ... spa poos, swimming pool, medical support and back up panic buttons in rooms for assistance if you fall over,...
    I'd be pressing the panic button if I fell in to the spa poos.

Banned

The "pop goes the bubble" re Retirement Villages article by Tim Hunter is int reading in the NBR citing disclosure standards or lack of.
    And coming out in Aus ,this attack. Headwinds alright.

Bleed Them Dry Until They Die
    By Adele Ferguson, Klaus Toft, Lucy Carter
    Posted June 22, 2017 11:50:00

Bleed them dry until they die
    Monday 26 June 2017
    Bleed Them Dry Until They Die: The retirement villages ripping off retirees.
    "It's a financial trap. It's a financial sinkhole. Once you're in, it's very hard to get out." Former Resident
    The glossy brochures and slick advertising sell the promise of a blissful retirement in "enclaves of contentedness" where "lifestyle meets wellbeing." But residents of the retirement homes run by one of Australia's biggest providers have a very different story to tell.
    "If there's any way that can more quickly separate a person in a retirement village from their money, I don't know it." Former Resident
    These retirement villages are marketed as a way for older Australians to keep their independence without the burden of maintaining a property. They can relax, secure in the knowledge that they have someone to call on if they need help. What many residents don't realise, until it's too late, is the astronomical amount they will have to pay for the privilege.
    "It's clearly designed to suck as much profit from the individual investors as it possibly can. I do think it's outrageous. I think it's extortionate. I think it's exploitative." Former Resident
    On Monday night, in a joint Four Corners/Fairfax Media investigation, reporter Adele Ferguson examines the ruthless tactics that residents say put profits before people.
    "It's completely biased in favour of the operators. You feel you haven't got a chance to defend your home against the rapacity of the huge corporation, who will always win because they can afford the legal costs involved." Former Resident
    Residents say they've been patronised, marginalised and ripped off. Now they want to warn others.
    "It was like living in a grubby fairy tale." Resident
    The findings of this joint investigation will be revealed in a series of online articles published by ABC News Online and Fairfax culminating in the Four Corners broadcast on Monday night.
    After working in the sector for 27yrs and having been involved with Ryman and Sum complexes for around 15yrs of those, I've never heard such extreme comments from a unit dweller during that time. You get your garden variety complaints about food, a maintenance issue or a shrub being in the wrong place etc etc, must be an Aussie problem aye, no surprises there. PS-Headwind equals light breeze, tailwinds equal gale force southerly.
    Last edited by couta1; 23-06-2017 at 08:17 PM.

IMO

Yeah media know how to sensationalise things. 4 corners programme on the 26th Video Bleed Them Dry Until They Die