sharetrader
Page 2 of 229 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: All Ords Index.

Banned

OK this is probaly a stupid question but how can I trade an index? For example I want to buy S&P/ASX All Ords (Gold) [XGD].

Certainly wasnt questioning the usefulness of the graph, quite the opposite. Just commenting on how it would be of additional use to someone who played the short side - potentially you have twice the upside.

a modified version of your normal charts to make it ultra simplistic

A basic TA system like this should be complusory for all who consider themselves serious investors and/or those who have serious % of their Net worth in the market

It needs to be included in a dummy's guide to investing.

Fortunately/unfortunately most investors and funds dont use this kind of system, which means it continues to work well.
    “If you're worried about falling off the bike, you’d never get on.”

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lego_Man View Post
    Certainly wasnt questioning the usefulness of the graph, quite the opposite. Just commenting on how it would be of additional use to someone who played the short side - potentially you have twice the upside.
    I agree with you Legoman. Personaly I have every intention of short trading should the market do a reversal. I also intend to introduce Margin trading as well once I have grown my capital to a certain amount. I think once you have developed a workable system in a up treading market , it makes sense to turn this system upside down/back to front and use it should the maket start downtreading.

Who are you with dragonz? As far as i know no NZ online brokerage service permits shorting - so i presume you have gone full-service?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lego_Man View Post
    Who are you with dragonz? As far as i know no NZ online brokerage service permits shorting - so i presume you have gone full-service?
    Im with cmc markets and direct broking. Should the market turn then I believe you can shop around the full service brokers to see if they have the share your wanting to short. Its one of the things I'll have to investigate. Probaly an Aussie based service would be best.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    I don't short the Aus market, LM.
    The chart is just as relevant for those that trade "long" only.
    It tells us when to be be cautious, when to be in the market - and when to be out of it.
    yeah but it does not tell us tomorrow,
    '''''''''''''''''''''''
    '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QovBLFZhQME

Gee Tricha you must be about the only person on ST who doesn't appreciate the effort that Phaedrus goes to let alone the merit of some basic TA.

What does it matter if it doesn't tell you tomorrow. From his chart if you chose not to act for a few days after the sell signal you would still be out ahead with the majority of your capital.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonz View Post
    OK this is probaly a stupid question but how can I trade an index? For example I want to buy S&P/ASX All Ords (Gold) [XGD].
    There are many ways, here is one way, method,

http://www.ninjatrader.com/webnew/su...g_platform.htm

I have a buddy in the states whom never invests in stocks, and he has for quite some time told me to invest in Sectors instead.
    Perhaps I should have listed to him..lol

Saying that, I never got his exact details for whom he was with (in the US) trading.
    Last edited by drillfix; 13-06-2009 at 01:07 AM.

CFD spreads for sectors are pretty high actually. Index spreads are reasonable but only for longer term trading.

Drillfix's buddy must have been doing sector tracking ETFs.
    Disclaimer: Do not take my posts seriously. They are only opinions.

AMR has sold all shares and is pursuing property.