sharetrader
Page 680 of 872 FirstFirst ... 180580630670676677678679680681682683684690730780 ... LastLast
Results 6,791 to 6,800 of 8713

Thread: Gold

Guru

http://www.theatlantic.com/internati...ndence/360281/

Wow, and this adds further context. The eastern Ukraine is energy resource rich, and Crimea was the route via which an alternate natural gas supply could have flowed.

Eastern Ukraine is home to nine-tenths of the country's coal and one of Europe's largest shale-gas deposits.
    Last edited by Logen Ninefingers; 09-04-2014 at 08:40 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JBmurc View Post
    Yes the mean which IMHO going from the chart is round current levels 1200-1400 ....saying gold is going back to 400-600oz USD would be as sane as stating Auckland properties are going back to 1990's levels >>> it could only in a major short term spike like OIL did to it's muti year lows before returning to it's mean (just above extraction costs)I still think we could see Gold's mean value rise once again much sooner on Fiat money deflation woes / overall reserve currency issues
    Gold and property. lol

People need property, they don't need gold. Goldbugs missed the boat, property's booming the last few years, really on a tear while goldbugs weep over the shiny stuff, longing for a 1980 redux, but it's not going to happen.

Gold 'expert' John Paulson lost $1 billion in 2 days last year, on gold. That wouldn't happen in the property market.

Years ago I used to live on Tarawa, a WW2 battlefield that attracted lots of 'experts' to solve the social problems. Most were washed out university professors that didn't seem to have a grip on reality.

'Experts'. Hahaha
    Last edited by Skol; 09-04-2014 at 09:44 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NewGuy View Post
    Skol - your posts baffle me. Still looking forward to a decent reply to my earlier post that gold had spiked due to an equities sell off. Apparently you disagree, but were never gracious enough to enlighten me with your alternative view. What's wrong? Stage fright??
    Yes, in general equities and precious metals tend to move in opposite directions, but every generation goldbugs flock together, go mad and send gold to unheard of, insane heights. 1980 and 2011 were recent peaks, there was also a major silver bust in 1980 as well, suckers lost their shirts.

Precious metals are in a bear market, I wouldn't touch them, too volatile, I did make some money out of gold shares about 4 or 5 years ago, but when gold was in an obvious bubble I gave it a miss.

Everyone's got their own ideas why gold moved up a few %, and if gold 'experts' like Peter Schiff and John Paulson can get cleaned out, what chance have you got?

The equities market is hardly 'dying', Dow up 150.

ETF's are shedding gold, SPDR Gold Trust is down from 1450 tonnes to 806 which gives you an idea of the kind of confidence your average punter out there has in gold.

Last 2 years:
    S&P500 +33%
    Gold -21%

A 54% difference.
    Last edited by Skol; 10-04-2014 at 08:01 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    Yes, in general equities and precious metals tend to move in opposite directions, but every generation goldbugs flock together, go mad and send gold to unheard of, insane heights. I did make some money out of gold shares about 4 or 5 years ago
    Goldbug!!!!!

Gold had a very quiet 24 hours, edging up slightly as the dollar weakened. US equities got a lift from the Fed minutes with the interpretation being, interest rates will be kept at zero for longer than perhaps previously anticipated. Today all eyes should be on the Nikkei which has been hammered every day since Friday, having given up circa 800 points in four trading days. The JPY weakened overnight, so perhaps Japanese stocks will get a lift from this & really when you look at it corporate Japan, it isn't trading too badly. However its Japan's sovereign debt, its demography & its continuing nuclear disaster, that is by no means contained, amongst other compounding issues that face the country. Japan has issues it cannot solve without opening up its boarders & yet this goes against the grain of a xenophobic culture ( I generalize). The Japanese are returning as large buyers of gold the first time in almost 10 years. The Moms & Dads (now grandparents) have been the buyers of JGBs & they will now want to redeem them to fund their retirement. New buyers will be required, international buyers will be required, however they will not be willing to be paid the ridiculously low coupon that Mr & Mrs Wantabe have done in the past. Abe knows this & this is why he is trying to spark inflation & interest rates to attract buyers of debt. Its a massive gamble & one that will end in tears. Happy trading. Cheers Daytr
    Last edited by Daytr; 10-04-2014 at 12:03 PM.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by moosie_900 View Post
    Logen, pay heed to Mr Hug, a very wise man...

http://www.kitco.com/ind/Hug/2014-04...-Patience.html
    Well he's summed things up fairly well, by stating the facts. If the market turns bullish he's covered, if it turns bearish he's covered. He's hardly playing Nostradamus as to what will happen. If Ukraine erupts in war in a week his post will be rendered irrelevant.

Yes, I've also noticed that Peter Hug dishes out wisdom with a dollar each way.

Technically, this week's earlier resistance at 1313USD has now been well and truly busted. Kitco's Wyckoff's market rating is 3.5 which is mildly bullish - we can expect it to lift to 4 if and when the PoG busts through 1320 (which could be as early as tonight).

All we need now is a weakening of the Aussie dollar against the greenback to lift its digger stocks against a higher POG in AUD (it's about due for a correction).

http://www.kitco.com/news/2014-04-09/template_jimw.htm
    To foretell the future, one must first unlock the secrets of the past.

Nikkei open up 1.2% now up 0.75%. It will be interesting to see where it closes. Dead cats bouncing comes to mind... Agree re Aussie BC, be good to see that with an 8 in front of it for the Aussie producers.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Quote Originally Posted by moosie_900 View Post
    BC, you'll find Wyckoff's rating scale ranges from 1 to 10, with 1 being a total bear market and 10 being a total bull. 3.5 is mildly bearish as the technicals are pointing downwards. Oh dear....
    Oh well, let's see how much the Wyckoff rating is increased by the weekend. I'm picking somewhere around 4.5. It's lagging.
    To foretell the future, one must first unlock the secrets of the past.

Nikkei now only up 0.3%, virtually all its early gains wiped out & the market is yet to close... Nikkei is looking very sick indeed.