Aaron...buddy you're a bit of a sad sack. Is it all getting too hard? Too difficult? Feel like you're too late, under resourced, under educated and just generally in a bad place financially? Half full ...half full ..half full...NOT half empty. So firstly examine the good things ..you have savings...have a Kiwisaver and also you are only Halfway through your allotted lifespan Many people would love to be in your position so cheer up. In your position I would consider the following options (since you appear unable to think about this objectively).

• Make an effort to search out courses, uni or poly or even online to learn more about the financial world. If I can educate myself..anyone can...just take your time and be patient.
  • Forget about what you have missed.....its too late cant do anything about it. Use it as a reference not a defining indictment of your inability to succeed.
  • Read everything you can from all types of investors...use the library..make notes
  • No-one person, forum or book has the answer to your financial security..only you can provide that and only by making your own interpretation from filtering all the information you can get your hands on.
  • Lastly you will not be left behind by doing nothing for a year or two..if anything you will gain wisdom and insight by watching and observing.
  • Forget about trying to pick the "right time". If you think about this its impossible since the rightness only becomes apparent long after the event.
  • Most people learn most effectively by actually doing something so don't discount the positive benefits that can accrue by just getting in and having a crack. Having a share lose value will tend to concentrate everybody in the learning process. However make small mistakes (as opposed to large ones)
  • Recognise that ultimately when you are buying shares and bonds you are handing over the safekeeping of your funds to everybody else. If you want to watch it more carefully and have some control over its outcome then consider starting your own business or increase skill level or earning capacity. What you can control yourself will have more meaning and focus your attention and effort.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I'll still have my savings and this increases each month and hopefully the interest earned helps me keep up with inflation. It is the great returns provided by the share market that I missed.
    I haven't got the motivation or intelligence to study and pick individual stocks so will probably look at smart shares but I am still holding off until we have had a decent correction.
    I switched my Kiwisaver to the most conservative a couple of months ago from a growth fund and will switch back to a growth fund after a correction. Maybe I should just buy a section and build a house on it? I am hoping patience will help my long term net worth this time round but as each year goes past it is getting harder not to do something particularly as I am past the halfway mark of my expected lifespan.